Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first 07-08 winter test has concluded at Valencia with, surprise, surprise, the Ducati Marlboro Team, with Casey Stoner on board, topping the sheets. The work horse of the day was NOT Nicky Hayden, but Anthony West, who put in 99 laps (Nicky put in "only" 92).

The next three day testing periods will be:
Sepang (15-17 November)
Jerez (27-29 November)

A NIGHT test will be held at Qatar, 12 November (my birthday) but only attended by a small group of riders.

Official Valencia Lap Times:
# of Laps in (); Rookies in RED; New Machines in BLUE

1. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 32.095 secs (55)
2. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 32.434 secs (92)
3. Randy de Puniet FRA Honda LCR (M) 1min 32.625 secs (83)
4. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 32.718 secs (88)
5. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 32.979 secs (88)
6. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 33.058 secs (59)
7. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 33.163 secs (64)
8. Toni Elias SPA Pramac d'Antin (B) 1min 33.294 secs (74)
9. Shinya Nakano JPN Honda Gresini (B) 1min 33.465 secs (92)
10. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Pramac d'Antin (B) 1min 33.571 secs (80)
11. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 33.588 secs (69)
12. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 33.695 secs (99)
13. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 33.835 secs (87)
14. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot (M) 1min 33.991 secs (82)
15. Alex de Angelis RSM Honda Gresini (B) 1min 34.060 secs (84)
16. Nobuatsu Aoki JPN Suzuki Test Rider (B) 1min 35.043 secs (61)
17. Vittoriano Guareschi ITA Ducati Test Rider (B) 1min 35.840 secs (59)

N

·
0 Posts
Kinda weird not seeing Rossi's name on the list. Guess this is how it's going to feel when he retires. It's just not the same without him.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to see pics of these guys on their new bikes!
Here are a couple taken by Jim Race. I don't want to take the credit, so I'll post a couple and link you all to the rest.

LINK

·
Registered
585 Posts
Man, riding a motorcycle for a living...It must be awsome!

99 laps...Damn! That's a full days work!

Nice pics

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
casey did the least laps, and posted the fasted time
Casey is also one of two riders that's riding the same bike as 2007? Obviously, there are number of riders that are out there just trying to get acclimated with their new bonk and in some cases, new shoes. This is what makes Nicky's test times all the more remarkable -- that he's gone so fast on new machinery. I'd also give props to Randy for taking the LCR to third place, coming from a Green Machine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
New bike looks great. Nicky looks good too.
He actually ran his fastest time on the 2007 bike, as reports state.
Repsol is gonna be in a good position next year being at the top of the Michelin heap and with no Rossi to get through...

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Pretty sweet I'd say, considering Nicky and Dani were on BRAND NEW bikes and Casey was on the championship Duc with just new forks.

Some more testing and the RCV should be in GOOD SHAPE! :)

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
+1 on Spies.

I wanna know what lap times I can throw down on those bikes! Man that would be an experience of a lifetime! Someday...someday...yeah right :sad11:

N

·
0 Posts
The new RC212V definitely looks a lot bigger than the previous version. Suits Nicky very well which explains why he's putting out some good numbers (I know there's more to it than just size you fooz).

Dani's probably struggling slightly but he'll adapt very quickly just like he did with the RC211V. I expect him to win it next year. Oh, oh...am I predicting already. LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did some digging and got some info on Spies! Looks like its on! Now maybe a wild card or two for the coming year.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=11578

VALENCIA, SPAIN, NOV.5: Yoshimura Suzuki’s Ben Spies won the battle of the Texans after showing mentor Kevin Schwantz that he was a very quick learner in his MotoGP debut on the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia, Spain.

The two-time AMA Superbike Champion jumped on the Rizla Suzuki GSV-R 800 that John Hopkins rode to third in Sunday’s season-ending Valencia Grand Prix and immediately impressed.

While riding with Schwantz, who was on Hopkins' spare, the pair got down into the 1:36 mins. lap range. But by the end of the day, Spies had lapped the 2.5-circuit he’d never seen, on a bike and tires he’d never before ridden, in 1:34.8 mins. To put it into perspective, the time is about a second off the race pace of Hopkins and less than that off the pace of Rizla Suzuki’s Chris Vermeulen. And all of that in 33 laps.

“I think he did a great job to just jump on it, hadn’t been to the track, and going,” Tom Houseworth, Spies’ Yoshimura Suzuki crew chief, said.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
You think? Nicky still looks pretty cramped on that thing. The bike looks unrefined, and the exhaust is uglay, kinda has a 500cc retro look to it.

If we are going to start talking predictions, my vote is on Melandri.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
To put it into perspective, the time is about a second off the race pace of Hopkins and less than that off the pace of Rizla Suzuki’s Chris Vermeulen. And all of that in 33 laps.

“I think he did a great job to just jump on it, hadn’t been to the track, and going,” Tom Houseworth, Spies’ Yoshimura Suzuki crew chief, said.
Man that's awesome!!! Haha looks like Vermeulen is gonna be racing to keep his job next year!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts