Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 2004 600RR for a great price because of some engine knocking.
I've been working on a lot of bikes for years, I usually specialize in KTMs and this is my first Honda, so glad to be a part of the red crew :)

That knocking, among other things, could be valves, piston rings or crankshaft bearings so today I've decided to tackle the valves first (not looking forward to removing that 130lbs engine! 馃挭 )

All valves are in specs, except the left exhaust valve of the C3. The manual reads 0.28mm (+/- 0.03mm) and this valve is at 0.50mm!
That's quite a difference! Valves are supposed to get tighter with time. To note: the spark plug #3 is white-ish, when all others are brown.

The shim is 2.00mm so before I buy a 2.20mm I'd like to know your thoughts.

I just wonder if that valve is closing properly; maybe bent or with carbon deposit at the seat. On KTMs, that would be totally out of whack but on Hondas Idk. 馃お

Thanks for your help! 馃檹

BOTY 2014 Winner
it would make sense to do a leakdown on the cylinder before you just shim it. i can't see any reason for a valve to be that loose from anything normal going on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
All right, leak down test is done!
Verdict: Busted left exhaust valve at cylinder #3.

All cylinders were holding the pressure with almost 0% leakage, the #3 was not.
I'm good for head removal.

Question: the manual says to remove the engine completely off the bike but to me, it "looks like" I can remove it without that tedious work. Any idea? Did any of you guys remove a head with the engine in the frame?

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It's not hard at all to pull the engine. You'll be happy you did.
Thanks man, I know I鈥檒l be able to see more stuff and work better on the engine BUT my problem is that:

1) I鈥檓 alone (don鈥檛 cry lol)
2) I don鈥檛 have the special Honda spaner tool. (I could order it but it might take a few more days than ordering the valve itself)
3) I don鈥檛 own a hoist to lift the swing arm or I don鈥檛 have a spare axle to cut as a special tool to hold it in place.

I have 2 jacks tho...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Wish I was brave enough to do this sort of stuff on my own haha
well brother, you could start with a single cylinder engine like a cheap dirt bike to train yourself. Get copies of repair manuals and get yourself some tools. It isn鈥檛 very complicated, just take your time and be organized. You can do it! You鈥檇 save tons of money and the skills will last a life time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts