Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my valve clearances at 15k miles and I must be doing something wrong. All of the intake valves are in spec, and all of the exhaust valves are equally out of spec a good amount (they are all 0.008", supposed to be 0.011" +/- 0.001"). I've followed the shop manual and checked it 5 times, used two sets of feeler gauges.. but this still just seems too weird of a coincidence to be right. Any ideas?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
Could very well be right. Exhaust valves get a work out and its no surprise that they would tighten up a bit.

What's the history on the bike? Are you on a stock tune? I could see higher than normal egts causing abnormal seat wear...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock tune with an akra slip on. Couple thousand miles at the track at intermediate pace. Would the slip on cause higher exhaust temps?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
Shouldn't be a huge change but running wfo at the track on an untuned modified exhaust could be a possible culprit.

Most guys at the track have a tune for their setup, and most guys on the street who run untuned aren't wfo all the time.

Adjust them back to spec and do periodic checks. If you are going to keep doing track time its not a bad idea to look into getting a tune for your bike though. Tight valves or not

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I hear you. Plus if I'm buying the hardware to do a tune, might as well get a quickshifter too. Funny how these things work lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I had been gawking at that bike earlier, but didn't realize it was yours. I was mesmerized by the front rim/caliper/rotor combo you've got going on there.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
My only advice here is to do things the right way once.

A lot of people do things in a patchy manner. If you are going to get a tune, get everything you are going to and up with anyway first.

Grab some arrow headers and a BMC filter. Then tune it. You won't have to retune later when you inevitably decide to get headers.

Why do things twice? Right?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Arrow indy SS headers s/b about $4-500....

go "hog wild" and get the full system?

(about $900 if you shop).

dynotune! maybe $250? autotune is about same.....

please ask wibbly about OE airfilter vs. aftermarket!

ps ...Arrow full system(indy SS) cuts about 20lbs from bike tot.weight!

also need to create/buy servo buddy, unless leaving exhaust servo motor in place.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
don't see the arrow system dropping 20lbs when the full ak drops about 8

The servo delete costs less than a dollar

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

Totally confused by this bike right now. I just shimmed all the valves in varying amounts with my goal to get them all on the "loose" side of the "in-spec" range. For some of the exhaust valves I used shims that were .004 smaller than the previous ones.

Put everything back together, go to measure it... and they are all pretty much exactly the same as they were previously. WTF! Even if I was doing some wrong or miscalculating or mis-measuring, the clearances should still change, don't you think?

Anyone experience this before? I'm about ready to trailer it to a shop and say "fix this **** for me, I obviously don't know what I'm doing."

·
Registered
323 Posts
UPDATE:

Totally confused by this bike right now. I just shimmed all the valves in varying amounts with my goal to get them all on the "loose" side of the "in-spec" range. For some of the exhaust valves I used shims that were .004 smaller than the previous ones.

Put everything back together, go to measure it... and they are all pretty much exactly the same as they were previously. WTF! Even if I was doing some wrong or miscalculating or mis-measuring, the clearances should still change, don't you think?

Anyone experience this before? I'm about ready to trailer it to a shop and say "fix this **** for me, I obviously don't know what I'm doing."
So what'd you end up doing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts