Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in the very beginning planning stages of a semi-permanent move from California to the East coast of Australia. I'm dead set on keeping my 600RR; not loaning it to anyone, not selling it, not taking it with me, so I'm asking various forums for help brainstorming about how I can pull off safe, cheap, reliable storage for the bike while I'm away for potentially 4 years...

Any and all help is welcome, but please try to keep it on topic, thanks people! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Why on earth don't you sell it? Bike is going to depreciate a good bit in four years. Sell, invest and after four years buy a brand new bike. By the time you pay for 48 months of storage you'd be crazy to keep it. You gonna keep comprehensive insurance on it too? Make the prudent decision and sell it.

If you absolutely must keep it you're gonna wanna find a climate controlled storage facility and fill it up with gas and add stabilizer. Either remove battery on put it on a tender. Gonna be a LONG list of things you should do. Really, sell the bike...

·
Registered
11 Posts
For storage, I would look for climate controlled, indoors, and obviously enough space for your motorcycle. You would have to shop around your current town to see what storage solutions are offered and then just pick the cheapest one that doesn't skimp on features.

As far as preparing the motorcycle, all you could really do is thoroughly clean it, lube the chain, replace all fluids (oil, coolant, brake), and add fuel stabilizer. However fuel stabilizer is usually only good for one year tops. You might want to consider emptying the fuel tank and drying it out before leaving.

Why not sell it though? 4 years is a long time to have an untouched vehicle.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why on earth don't you sell it? Bike is going to depreciate a good bit in four years. Sell, invest and after four years buy a brand new bike. By the time you pay for 48 months of storage you'd be crazy to keep it. You gonna keep comprehensive insurance on it too? Make the prudent decision and sell it.

If you absolutely must keep it you're gonna wanna find a climate controlled storage facility and fill it up with gas and add stabilizer. Either remove battery on put it on a tender. Gonna be a LONG list of things you should do. Really, sell the bike...
Thanks for the input, but here's why I disagree:

It's an 08, bought from the original owner w/400 miles, 2 years ago. It's already depreciated in price about as far as it matters. I bought it for a very, very low price because it had been sitting in a garage for years. I tore it down, reconditioned EVERYTHING aside from the motor, and rebuilt it, and have since put many, many hours of work and riding into it. It is my 3rd 600RR, and I love the 07/08 model years the best. I could never, ever hope to find such a low-mileage, well maintained, expertly detailed street/track 600RR 5 years from now. I need to have this bike lying in wait, more than I need the maybe $6k I could get for it if I sold it. I also already know the ins and outs of working on, tweaking, tuning, and riding the bike very well, and own many spares/accessories for it. Why throw all that infrastructure away?

I'm well versed in the mechanics/chemistry/process of long-term storage and have done it before, but not with my own vehicles. I'm fine with putting in the work to ensure that wherever it sits for 4 years, it is ready to rock when I get back to Cali. It will absolutely not be insured or registered while I'm gone, no point IMO. Paying for a straight up storage locker is out of the question, just can't budget for 48 months of bills.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For storage, I would look for climate controlled, indoors, and obviously enough space for your motorcycle. You would have to shop around your current town to see what storage solutions are offered and then just pick the cheapest one that doesn't skimp on features.

As far as preparing the motorcycle, all you could really do is thoroughly clean it, lube the chain, replace all fluids (oil, coolant, brake), and add fuel stabilizer. However fuel stabilizer is usually only good for one year tops. You might want to consider emptying the fuel tank and drying it out before leaving.

Why not sell it though? 4 years is a long time to have an untouched vehicle.
No storage unit....see my reply to the other gentleman who commented...There is a lot more that will need to be done mechanically speaking for 4 years of downtime. It will not be a functional or assembled bike while stored. I have over a year to plan for this, so I'm not in any rush, just going down the list of things I need to think of.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This:
http://www.technologylk.com/zerust-135-in-x-70-in-motorcycle-storage-cover-lk-ZRMB1.html
Plus:
-dry out all fluids
-engine oil in every cyl(just a bit)
-run the starter to distribute the oil in the engine without fire the bike
-oil the chain, sprocket and any other parts with natural metal exposed(keep in mind that i said oil not grease :) )
-dispose the battery

And you are fine, the bike will come out exactly as you put it in.
That cover is sweet, thanks man!! :banger: I already have fogging oil for the cylinders, the chain will come off, be oiled, and put into a sealed container. I've done this all for friends' bikes, I mostly need help figuring out where to store it for free/cheap.

You rescued the bike from sitting in a garage for years and you're going to put it back in a garage for years? Poor bike :(
You skipped the part where I ride it for 2 more years and take it to 20-something more track days. I've already put 20k miles on it in 2 years, and I'm not moving to Aus til late 2016.:thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Australia is boring as ****, it"s also very expensive. If you're planning on buying a bike here, prepare to have double the funds for:

Bike
Mods
Shipping from UK and USA
Defect notices from police

Which part of au are you thinking of?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
No storage unit....see my reply to the other gentleman who commented...There is a lot more that will need to be done mechanically speaking for 4 years of downtime. It will not be a functional or assembled bike while stored. I have over a year to plan for this, so I'm not in any rush, just going down the list of things I need to think of.
I already have fogging oil for the cylinders, the chain will come off, be oiled, and put into a sealed container. I've done this all for friends' bikes, I mostly need help figuring out where to store it for free/cheap.
Any disassembly in my opinion does nothing more than add a second layer of complexity to an already complicated situation. Things like pulling the chain are totally needless work if the chain is properly lubed and coated with a water displacement agent like WD-40 which if you are as well versed as you say you are you shoukd know. Why not simply leave the bike together and store it on good quality race stands with blocks underneath the motor to help take weight off the rear spring, the only thing that would still be supporting the bike if you use a triple tree fork stand? A bike that could be moved easily if your trip becomes more permanent than you think or say if your cheap storage suddenly goes away halfway into it would be a far smarter move I'd think than trying to move a bunch of boxes or an hunk of aluminum that doesn't roll.

Otherwise you might be coming back to a frame, motor and an empty box where everything else used to sit until the storage place decided to clean old crap out of their car port or your buddy's wife cleaned the garage.

As someone who has been working with new and vintage bijkes in all states of repair and lengths of storage for almost 40 years now, my $.02 for long term storing in case someone else is reading this (as you said you know what to do) is similar to a "normal" winter storage (change oil and whatever fluids need it maintenance wise, full tank of non-oxy gas and fuel stabilizer, remove battery, stands and cover it until spring) but add to that changing all fluids no matter what condition (oil, coolant, brake), remove spark plugs and put half of a small syringe full of motor oil down each plug hole then reinstall the plugs and turn the engine over several times without starting it to coat the entire piston/cylinder/rings/internals, drain ALL fuel and spray WD-40 liberally throughout the inside of the tank (if you can't be sure to get it 100% dry you're better off to fill it completely, add stabilizer and simply drain it when you get back before starting it), remove battery and honestly dispose of it because no matter the battery or how you store the thing it will be suspect after the four years so you're better off replacing it at that time, then liberally coat EVERYTHING metal (even the brake rotors) with WD-40 to stop it from corroding. Put the bike on stands keeping all the weight off the suspension, cover but leave ventilation holes and leave it alone. Make sure the bike is absolutely clean as bug guts are acidic and will eat a hole on plastic and paint if left long enough.

Overfilling the oil, putting in pure, undiluted antifreeze and other myths are crap, just be sure to do what you need for your climate; i.e. don't use engine ice in a climate that gets well below freezing, etc. and putting trays of mothballs on, under and around the bike will keep insects and mice away from things they like to make nests in. Even a tray in the airbox won't hurt as long as you remember it's there.

When you return be prepared to clean the hell out of it and replace the brake pads (if you followed my advice above they'll be soaked in WD-40), air filter, tires and battery and be sure to inspect all coolant hoses before starting. Make sure you add a little oil in the cylinders again and turn the engine over by hand a few times before attempting to start it to relubricate the cylinders and make sure the rings didn't sieze or the piston isn't stuck from sitting saving you from a possible bent rod or scratched cylinder wall. Replace fuel and battery and she should fire right up.

As far as cheap/free 4 year storage I think unless you find a friend or family member willing to loose a corner of their garage or shed you're going to be playing a game of Russian roulette whether it's going to still be there when you get back. Stores, shops, storage places, whatever will be hit or miss with keeping something there that long and all will require some form of payment. And all can close, move, relocate, burn down......wherever you store it PUT STORAGE INSURANCE ON IT or you will have nothing when you return.

Honestly you'll keep hearing this but if you've done 20k in 2 years and you're not leaving for almost another 2 more you're talking about a 40k mile bike and hardly worth the trouble you're about to go through. 600RR's are available ANY time, ANY place, at ANY price and in ANY condition you want as long as you're willing to wait for the right bike. The fact is you'll spend more time, money and effort on your current bike than if you simply sold it off before you left and rebuilt a low mile bike like you did with yours when you return. That way it's not something in the back of your mind the entire time your away, you'll have no surprises when you come back and you'll know you're ready to go when and if you return.

As much as you love this bike now you have to be honest with yourself and think in six years you may not want the riding position, the powerband or even the looks may not be your thing. People move on and move up all the time, what we love today isn't always what we love tomorrow. So don't overthink this, you know the right thing to do.

Mike

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Australia is boring as ****, it"s also very expensive. If you're planning on buying a bike here, prepare to have double the funds for:

Bike
Mods
Shipping from UK and USA
Defect notices from police

Which part of au are you thinking of?
Not planning to have a motorcycle at all while I'm there. I have friends outside of Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney, but I don't know exactly where I want to live. Depends more on where I can find part time work, ha. I'm a photographer outside of my main job, so Aus will be anything but boring for me, I think. Thanks for the heads up though, I have had a lot of people warn me about the expense. Only 1 year of my 4 years away will be in Aus, so it's not a permanent thing.:shakehand

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Seriously, unless your bike saved your life, can talk, or contains the soul of your dead girlfriend, sell it now - keep money - 4 years later come back, buy much more valuable bike for same amount of money. It's a 600, not a Britten.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
My bike tells me to burn things!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as storage goes I think the only reasonable choice you have is storing it with friends or family in their garage or shed.
This is a very likely possibility. My parents live in Nevada, where it's nice and dry, and have space in the garage for my bike, and it would cost a lot less to pay them a few hundred dollars a year, than a regular storage place.

I've heard your reasons for keeping it but I GUARANTEE that in four years from now you won't be as 'thrilled' about having/wanting an RR.
Sell it, get a beast when you return.
Well only time will tell, I'll let you know. It will be 6 years from now, though, I don't move for about 2 years. I have ridden liter bikes before and I prefer the 600 at this point. PM me for my email address and we can discuss it in 2021:shakehand:thumbup:

Seriously, unless your bike saved your life, can talk, or contains the soul of your dead girlfriend, sell it now - keep money - 4 years later come back, buy much more valuable bike for same amount of money. It's a 600, not a Britten.
Like I said, there's no way I could hope to buy another 600 that's as well cared for after I get back. If I have lost interest, wouldn't it be better to keep it as an asset that I could decide to sell or not AFTER I get back from traveling?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Like I said, there's no way I could hope to buy another 600 that's as well cared for after I get back.
BS. RRs pop up all the time with like 600 miles on it, and honestly what exactly is 'well cared for' and how is it you that can do it better than everyone else? It's a motorcycle, not NASA Gravity Probe B. And part of 'well cared for' *isn't* letting it sit for 4 years.

I don't know man, you seem like you just want justification from other people to keep it to reassure yourself. You already said you know how to store vehicles, so what exactly are you asking? None of your plan sounds reasonable to me.

'I can't find another 600RR like this' is a lie, but 'This bike is special to me and I want to keep it despite knowing that is a totally dumb idea' isn't. So I say only keep the bike if you truly believe the latter, because the former just doesn't hold water.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BS. RRs pop up all the time with like 600 miles on it, and honestly what exactly is 'well cared for' and how is it you that can do it better than everyone else? It's a motorcycle, not NASA Gravity Probe B. And part of 'well cared for' *isn't* letting it sit for 4 years.

I don't know man, you seem like you just want justification from other people to keep it to reassure yourself. You already said you know how to store vehicles, so what exactly are you asking? None of your plan sounds reasonable to me.

'I can't find another 600RR like this' is a lie, but 'This bike is special to me and I want to keep it despite knowing that is a totally dumb idea' isn't. So I say only keep the bike if you truly believe the latter, because the former just doesn't hold water.
I've made it clear in 2 different posts now that I don't need help with what needs to be dine to the bike in order to store it for a long time, I wanted help with ideas of where, for how much, pros/cons, etc. Kindly get the fcuk out of my thread if you don't have any positive input.

"Well cared for" is how I maintain my bikes...find my "Project 2008 600RR" thread and take a look at what I did to this bike. I'd wager it's cleaner and in better condition than any other 08 that has as many miles as mine, and all of that makes no difference to most buyers, but it makes all the difference to me.

And please, feel free to send me any CL listings for 600RRs in only the 07/08 generation for under $4,000, California model, that has a valid non-salvage title, that has no mechanical issues, is clean, rust free, has a service history, was never a race bike, no irreversible mods, under 10k miles, and hasn't also just been sitting in a garage or barn somewhere:crackup:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any disassembly in my opinion does nothing more than add a second layer of complexity to an already complicated situation. Things like pulling the chain are totally needless work if the chain is properly lubed and coated with a water displacement agent like WD-40 which if you are as well versed as you say you are you shoukd know. Why not simply leave the bike together and store it on good quality race stands with blocks underneath the motor to help take weight off the rear spring, the only thing that would still be supporting the bike if you use a triple tree fork stand? A bike that could be moved easily if your trip becomes more permanent than you think or say if your cheap storage suddenly goes away halfway into it would be a far smarter move I'd think than trying to move a bunch of boxes or an hunk of aluminum that doesn't roll.

As much as you love this bike now you have to be honest with yourself and think in six years you may not want the riding position, the powerband or even the looks may not be your thing. People move on and move up all the time, what we love today isn't always what we love tomorrow. So don't overthink this, you know the right thing to do.

Mike
Thanks for all the info, I do appreciate it. I am no longer going to debate any of the arguments against keeping it; I want THIS bike. But the tips are great, thanks! Why motor oil in the combustion chamers and not fogging oil? Why WD-40 the chain on the bike instead of taking it off? I was taught that it's better to take it off so that you don't disturb the countershaft if you do have to roll the bike around while it's stored. Why not overfill the cases with oil? I thought the less air trapped inside, the better. I plan to use a rear stand and no blocks under the motor, since the stock shocks are dirt cheap and I'll likely want to swap in a new unit post-storage anyway. I have a pin-type front stand, so the forks will be fully extended...Is that optimal, or should the springs just be taken out and set aside?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts