Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an rr forum, but I'm having an issue with my f4i motor and I figured yall could be helpful.

I got a stock f4i with about 20k miles. I changed the oil 1000 miles ago.

Yesterday I began hearing a loud squealing/screeching noise from the left side (sprocket side) of the motor any time I had the engine under load. Any mild acceleration sounded like nails on a chalkboard. Even while letting the clutch out with no throttle input. This noise could be heard in any gear. The sound doesn't happen in neutral.

It can't be the clutch plates because it will happen with the clutch fully engaged & the sound is coming from the other side of the motor.

It can't be the bottom or top end of the motor since it doesn't happen in neutral.

It sounds like it could be coming from the front sprocket area, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It sounds like an obnoxious rusty gate opening and closing. I've never heard it before.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm guessing a bearing.

Have you done a visual inspection? Take off the front sprocket and take a look at your chains sprocket, carrier and bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing a bearing.

Have you done a visual inspection? Take off the front sprocket and take a look at your chains sprocket, carrier and bearing.
Could have toasted your countershaft bearing with an overly tight chain
I thought the same things both of you did....Funny story:

I was completely convinced that I damaged my countershaft because of a too tight chain, (although an inch of play seemed unlikely). I was convinced enough that I started to plan when I would tear her down and split the case. But before going that far I decided to take the front sprocket off and have a look. All seemed normal so I re-installed it without the cover, (so I could better hear the noise). Turns out I never heard the noise again. Took a closer look and found the culprit. Stressing over nothing, whew.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,825 Posts
Have you installed aftermarket chain and sprockets? Nothing should rub in there unless you messed something up

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ahhhh glad that's all it was..... guessing somebody when they put the sprocket cover back on somehow missed that one hole in the case saver when putting the bolt in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts