Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Good RR people,
Quick question to break your chops.

Have this idea (more like an obsessive impulse) to buy a VFR800, so I can take a chick for a ride and they can enjoy it, its a bit uncomfortable for them on the back of the RR.

The VFR has:

• longer distance from the rear seat to the foot pegs
  • bigger and better padded rear seat and not as high
  • really good Jezus handles
  • more torque and shorter rev range so no helmet bumps at shifts
  • great sound
  • LED lights look spaceship style
  • Single swingarm
  • lots of comfort gimmicks

Only thing is, the power seems a little low for the weight.
Do you think it will feel heavy and doey? and eventually I wont ride it at all?

Don't know anyone who has one, so I figured someone one here has or had one they can throw their opinion on.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I have a 5th generation VFR I bought as a project. (1998-2001)

It's a little ratty and the tires are tired so I don't have the best impression of it, but indeed it is a sport touring bike. It's actually far more on the sporty side than touring, probably one of the most aggressive bikes of that type. I was surprised at how not much more comfortable the riding position was. The controls are a bit raised but not much more than a 600RR. The banana seat is of course a bit more plush, though a gel seat pad or airhawk cushion is probably a good investment for any pillion rider. Indeed the pillion does not sit as high as on a sportbike.

It does have a V4 which is sweet. The V4 is basically a split between the instant torque of twin and the ability to wind it out like an inline. It is smooth and sounds like a muscle car which is awesome. It does make about 100hp in a bike that is heavier than a 600RR but I don't think it's underpowered by any means.

It does feel heavier than a 600RR, for sure - however I have to qualify that the tires on my bike are sort of beat so it really affects front end feel and turn in. But I wouldn't say this is some sort of dealbreaker, longer wheelbases are more stable of course.

The current generation is an evolution of the 6th gen which is very close to the 5th gen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5th generation VFR I bought as a project. (1998-2001)

It's a little ratty and the tires are tired so I don't have the best impression of it, but indeed it is a sport touring bike. It's actually far more on the sporty side than touring, probably one of the most aggressive bikes of that type. I was surprised at how not much more comfortable the riding position was. The controls are a bit raised but not much more than a 600RR. The banana seat is of course a bit more plush, though a gel seat pad or airhawk cushion is probably a good investment for any pillion rider. Indeed the pillion does not sit as high as on a sportbike.

It does have a V4 which is sweet. The V4 is basically a split between the instant torque of twin and the ability to wind it out like an inline. It is smooth and sounds like a muscle car which is awesome. It does make about 100hp in a bike that is heavier than a 600RR but I don't think it's underpowered by any means.

It does feel heavier than a 600RR, for sure - however I have to qualify that the tires on my bike are sort of beat so it really affects front end feel and turn in. But I wouldn't say this is some sort of dealbreaker, longer wheelbases are more stable of course.

The current generation is an evolution of the 6th gen which is very close to the 5th gen.

Thanks FC
So you think it picks its nose up and gets moving at a good rate of acceleration?
Is it heavyish under brakes?

The V4 sound IS awesome >:)

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It hustles well enough - faster than I would be comfortable with a passenger, for instance. I haven't really gotten on the binders super hard, but the 5th and 6th gens have mechanically linked brakes, which are a clever and bad idea. I have to use 3 fingers instead of 2 to get enough leverage. The current 8th gen does away with linked brakes and I think has the current monoblock Tokicos that the RR bikes have, so I bet they're quite a bit stronger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey SloKnt! The VFR800 is a great machine. Of course I'd say that because I ride one. But really, it is all those things you say in your list.

The power is very different from a CBR600rr. There is the year 2002 and newer model that has VTEC and then there is the older model with gear driven cams. Either choice VFR has a lot more torque than the CBR. You get so much torque down low that you really don't rev it out unless you're really in a hurry! The weight is hefty but once you are moving you soon forget that because the bike handles very well. As long as you can flat foot the bike while seated I think the weight is quite easily manageable. It's a forgiving ride and I find very easy to push hard and it will reward you.

Upgrades to the suspension take the bike to another level. CBR rear shocks are common surrogates and cartridge kits can be had to make the forks fully adjustable.

The engine sound is absolutely intoxicating and beautiful. Staintune makes the best pipes known in the clubs and forums for the VTEC and earlier 800. MUST get pipes if you buy one.

Here's mine, I have a Saddleman seat and my lady says it's quite comfy riding pilion.
:cheers:

http://i.imgur.com/bLhkhel.jpg

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Owned and ridden VFR's in every generation (except the 1200's and the current gen) and will say that personally I was a fan of the 90-93 and 94-97 750 over the first gen 800 (98-01) which I found heavy, slow steering, and very sluggish powerband wise. The linked brakes on this model were good but don't have a ton of feel, the newer gens were better. My 98 was one of the shortest lived bikes in my garage, FYI. Sold my 929 for a more "practical" ride (the 800) and sold it 3 weeks later to buy a 954. It wasn't my thing.

The 90-97's were still considered more of a SPORT tourer than a sport TOURER. I found these bikes to have the best sporty feel (raise the forks 10mm in the triple, install a good shock, brake lines, decent tires and you'll be happy) while still being comfortable but know these bikes are getting OLD and bodywork especially is VERY hard to find. I've ridden with many fast sportbike riders and was faster than quite a few on my old 90, 93 and dads 97.

The 02-06 (?) have a Vtec motor which the four valves kick in around 6200 rpm very abruptly which I found to be slightly unnerving as it would kick in at times you weren't expecting it but the second go around, 06-08, was closer to 7,000 rpm and had a much smoother engagement and worked much better. Brakes were good on this "second" gen 800 as well. Would recommend these as some of the best 800's and VFRs.

Negative things you'll notice on any non-SS bike: the weight, slower steering, not as much too end rush, weaker brakes with not as much feel to name a few things.

Pluses: great fuel mileage, softer seat, higher bars, MUCH better passenger accommodations (if you're regularity taking you SO on the back of your RR, go give her a hug and buy her something pretty. That seat is a ******* joke, try sitting on it), better able to handle weather, luggage and long distances for long periods of time.

To get into a non SS bike you have to keep in mind what makes the RR a great sportbike are all the things that make it suck as a two up sport tourer. But there are good options depending on money you can spend and brand loyalty. Where the VFR can be bland the Triumph Sprint ST is a great mount, Ducati ST3 or ST4 is a blast, the VFR 1200 is supposed to be great (I'm actually contemplating one myself) or quite a few BMW GT, S, RT or RS models. More sporty with some tourer though you'll never find a sport tourer that matches an SS weight and handling wise.

I can also suggest the CBR600F4i or CBR650F as good SPORT touring bikes if you want to stay Honda middleweight. Or a CBR929RR with helibars, a decent aftermarket seat and a set of soft luggage can be a great sport touring mount as well two up. The other weekend the wife and I did 750 miles on the '14 650F and both were ready to do it again the next weekend if needed. And we had a couple sport bike guys try to follow us through a twisty road on the trip and simply couldn't match us two up with three days of luggage strapped to the 650F. Without even trying.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'd imagine the Honda NC700 and the 500s are pretty solid for that duty as well.
NC700X is a fine bike but with an abrupt rev limiter at 6200 RPM the fun is short lived. Wish we got the 750 that the other countries got.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't own one but ride a mate's '04 once in a while. It's a solid bike. That V4 is nothing short of creamy and delivers plenty of low-mid range power so it doesn't feel sluggish. It does feel a bit less responsive and more squishy than my '05 RR but it's in a different class. Much more comfortable for long distances too. The dude who owns the VFR also weighs about 250 lb and he has no trouble keeping up or taking off with my RR.

Overall, I wouldn't mind having one as a second bike for when I don't feel like being a hooligan but I'm eyeing a CB1100 or the new Bonnie.

You can't go wrong with the VFR.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah......that V4 sound is like music.

Couldn't help myself, shout out of the office early and visited the local dealer, had a good look at it and a chat to him about it. Decently priced too.

He fired it up and tried to get me out for a test ride but the weather is bad atm.
I must say, I was impressed.

Only 3 visual things that made my nose twitch a little:
1. The massive plastic tail flap, thing that nearly drags on the road.
2. The height of the handlebars looks a little grandpa.
3. And the rear tire looks a little anorexic for a bulky bike.

But the rest very impressive.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
- Well, any tail fender can either be cut back or replaced.
- I wish the bars were higher yet - someday when I do a fork swap I'm going to put some fz09 style bars on it.
- Do they not still use a 180 series tire? Also, smaller width tires make the bike more agile, especially at low speeds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
- Well, any tail fender can either be cut back or replaced.
- I wish the bars were higher yet - someday when I do a fork swap I'm going to put some fz09 style bars on it.
- Do they not still use a 180 series tire? Also, smaller width tires make the bike more agile, especially at low speeds.

This fender looks like a one piece all under the back section and has a lock in it, looks a bit hard to do modify.

The bars look like ape hangers already

Yes, a 180, looks like a fat bloke with skinny legs

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah......that V4 sound is like music.

He fired it up and tried to get me out for a test ride but the weather is bad atm.
Heh, just please don't put fart cannons on if you do buy it. The same guy who lets me ride his VFR has them on and it sounds awful.

And weather can be bad in Australia? I've visited Sydney this past May and it was heaven the whole time. Stable 25c throughout the days, 20 at night, and zero clouds or humidity. I hate being back in mid-atlantic...

Edit: The only good modified exhaust I heard was from the 1st gen VMax with debaffled stock pipes.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
This fender looks like a one piece all under the back section and has a lock in it, looks a bit hard to do modify.

The bars look like ape hangers already

Yes, a 180, looks like a fat bloke with skinny legs
Everything you don't like about the bike is what makes it a great sport tourer:

Fender actually stops rain and crud from hitting you in the back.

The bars are easy on the wrist and back for long days int he saddle.

The 180 tire helps a big, heavy bike steer with reasonable quickness yet still grip decently. Tires are also cheaper.

IF you do go with a pipe on the bike look at Staintune for VFR's....absolutely heaven on that motor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
  • more torque and shorter rev range so no helmet bumps at
Any comments appreciated.
That has literally nothing to do with helmet bumps. If your still accelerating when you pull the clutch, heads move. Simple physics. Don't want head bumps then retard the throttle to neutral when you want to shift.
I can also suggest the CBR600F4i or CBR650F as good SPORT touring bikes if you want to stay Honda middleweight.
Everything this guy says is right on. If they'd give the VFR800 another 15-20hp I'd be all over it. As it is my F4i does everything the VFR does, better.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Interesting timing this thread. I am looking into getting a sport tourer down the road and the VFR800 was on my radar as well as the, the Yamaha FJR or even the VFR 1200. I have ridden the VFR 1200 and the mentioned CBR 650F which really surprised me however, passenger comfort is key and I think the VFR/FJR's would be better optioned to obtain that.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Interesting timing this thread. I am looking into getting a sport tourer down the road and the VFR800 was on my radar as well as the, the Yamaha FJR or even the VFR 1200. I have ridden the VFR 1200 and the mentioned CBR 650F which really surprised me however, passenger comfort is key and I think the VFR/FJR's would be better optioned to obtain that.
I'll make two suggestions:

1. If you and your significant other are quite different in height make sure you test out bike with them and find one that has the passenger sitting above you. I'm 6'3", my wife is 5'5" and unless we have a huge step up in the seat heights and I'm canted forward all she sees is the back of my head and we constantly hit helmets. It's why I bought the 650F, bigger step up in the seat and I'm tipped forward more than the VFR. The FJR is nice but she saw nothing but my head and every bump was bang, bang, bump. I've not ridden a 1200 VFR, though I'm very interested in trying one out. It's on the short list.

2. If you are considering a 650F and wonder about the seat order a Bagster brand seat from overseas, about $300. Completely transforms the passenger seat and makes the rider even more comfortable. Best $300 I've spent on a bike ever.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything you don't like about the bike is what makes it a great sport tourer:

Fender actually stops rain and crud from hitting you in the back.

The bars are easy on the wrist and back for long days int he saddle.

The 180 tire helps a big, heavy bike steer with reasonable quickness yet still grip decently. Tires are also cheaper.

IF you do go with a pipe on the bike look at Staintune for VFR's....absolutely heaven on that motor.
Yes, all sound accurate.
The staintune is a known and reliable local brand, but I think they need to update the look a bit, ok for an 80s Harley cruiser, but bit oldschool looking for modern bikes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts