Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out fellas. I'd love for someone to confirm that their bike makes the same noise and it's normal.

Key turn video.

I'm familiar with the fuel pump prime "whine".

All I did today was install some Proton blinkers. Maybe I'm being crazy, but I don't recall hearing this noise before.

The noise is not present while the bike is running. Only when I first turn the key for about 1/2 second.

4,000 miles
Strong battery on trickle charger.

·
Registered
939 Posts
DAMN, that sounds bad

i have no clue whats going on but hope you get the figured out

D

·
0 Posts
Your fuel pump might be going bad, unless you have a circuit open somewhere. That clicking sounds like an electric arc jumping.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, it sounds not good that's for sure. Electrical arc could be possible but i don't think
at 12 volts an arc would be THAT audible.

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
sorry bro, but i just checked my bike and mine is not making that sound. it doesn't sound good, are you still under warranty? you need to get that checked out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After further investigation...

I will tear into the bike tomorrow. Since I cannot pinpoint the source of the buzz, I assume it's somewhere central in the bike. So far, it seems to be under the tank.

I removed the fuel pump relay, and turned the key again. This time, the fuel pump whine was absent, with only the buzz remaining. I take this bit of info as "it's not the fuel pump". The fuel pump sounds healthy.

Isolated Buzz Video

Any other insights as to what this could be? (Excluding fuel pump).

Appreciate all the responses. Thanks guys.

D

·
0 Posts
Definitely still sounds like an electric arc. Is this sound isolated more on the left side then right?

I would try pulling the engine stop relay. If it continues after that, the fan motor relay.

I'm leaning more towards it being the engine stop relay though. It's on the same circuit as the fuel pump as well as all 8 injectors, and since the buzzing only happens at start-up during the duration of the fuel pump prime, it just seems the most plausible.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Demented,

I pulled the Engine Stop Relay, and the buzzing (as well as the fuel pump) stopped. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

I was able to further track down where the noise is coming from, and it would appear it's MOSTLY on the left side of the bike. I can't pinpoint it, but it's in the throttle body/starter/primary injector area, above the left engine case cover.

Thoroughly frustrated and not a sniff of what the problem could be. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think is sounds like a relay clicking rapidly. It has a steady rhythm. I don't know why one would do that or even which one... Take off the seat and turn it on. touch the top of each relay. If i'm right... you'll be able to feel it vibrating.

Edit... sorry, I didn't see that you had pinpointed it to a location. could that be an injector firing? I really don't know what one sounds like but I've heard that sometimes they can be heard ( over the running engine)

Sorry D... I do have to disagree... I've never heard 12V arc's snap that loudly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds to me like a relay is on its way out, what i would recommend is try switching the relay with another one if the noise is gone and the pump primes get a new relay

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
ibbob, be sure to keep us posted in case one of us has the same issue later on down the road. thanks bro. and good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
Demented,

I pulled the Engine Stop Relay, and the buzzing (as well as the fuel pump) stopped. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

I was able to further track down where the noise is coming from, and it would appear it's MOSTLY on the left side of the bike. I can't pinpoint it, but it's in the throttle body/starter/primary injector area, above the left engine case cover.

Thoroughly frustrated and not a sniff of what the problem could be. I'll try again tomorrow.
I would replace the engine stop relay. Before then though with the tank lifted, turn they key on again and try to find the exact location of the noise. If it is an injector you'll be able to find which one.

Sorry D... I do have to disagree... I've never heard 12V arc's snap that loudly.
I have many times. It all depends on the amperage of the current. Go play around with a 12v battery charger and you'll see.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Its a relay for sure, lift the tank up, it should be easy enough to find.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Back again... with more news.

The tank has been lifted.

Things changed a bit since last time. Now my FI light is blinking in the following sequence:

LONG - LONG - LONG - short - short - short - short

Additionally, the EGCV is now active when I turn the key.

I'm in the garage, still trying to hunt down the buzz. I have the service manual, but couldn't find what that blinking pattern indicated.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also...

All the relays under-seat are functioning properly. I switched positions with a known 'healthy' relay, and the problems remain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More info:

The above error code continues while the bike is running.

Sometimes the FI light stays solid while bike is running.

I see a dealership in my future.....

D

·
0 Posts
Ok. Back again... with more news.

The tank has been lifted.

Things changed a bit since last time. Now my FI light is blinking in the following sequence:

LONG - LONG - LONG - short - short - short - short

Additionally, the EGCV is now active when I turn the key.

I'm in the garage, still trying to hunt down the buzz. I have the service manual, but couldn't find what that blinking pattern indicated.

That's an error code for the EGCV. Either low/high voltage, bad connection, or the circuit is bad.

The issue wont be the fuel injectors though. Just checked the service manual, and if there is a problem with even one of them, the fuel pimp and ignition will be cut and the bike will not start.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More progress. I solved the EGCV error code issue. Thank you Demented for the code reading technique. I have since learned that long blinks are 'worth' 10 and short ones 'worth' 1.

Error code 34 was associated with the EGCV valve. I tested the voltage, and it was good. I removed the cover, and rotated the servomotor pulley by hand. Somehow I 'reset' it and all is well.

The buzz from my first YouTube post remains. The buzz disappears when I remove the engine stop relay.

I'm now going to trace all other items on the same circuit as that relay to make a list of what could possibly be making that noise.

I'll keep you all updated.

(Demented... thanks for the help and patience. I've since found other threads where you've been helping poor saps with their EGVCs. You're an asset to dotnet.)

D

·
0 Posts
I do my best.

On the same circuit, other then the fuel pump relay and the fuel injectors, there's the fan motor relay, evap purge solenoid (on some bikes), and the PAIR control.

Here's a thought. Reach in and disconnect the PAIR solenoid from the wire harness, and turn the key on with the relays in place. See if the noise stops.

Now that I think about it, the noise does also sound like a solenoid's valve opening and closing.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made some major progress. I've identified the cause of the clicking, but I have no idea what the part is. It is pictured here:

While tearing apart the bike I also found this bra strap... (I bought the bike used)

I'd love for someone to identify the buzzing part for me. I'll be searching through my service manual too.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts