Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned a lot and saved tons of money working on my own bike but I don't know if this is something I could do. What's the easiest way to apply the wings to the bike? A link to a good writeup would be amazing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive never applied any graphics to my bike yet but i used to work at a fire truck manufactuer where all i did all day was apply graphics and schotchlite to firetrucks, ambulances, and police cars. Best advice is to def use wet application. get some soapy water (very minimal soap) and put it in a spray bottle. get urself a grease pencil to mark the graphics...take a razor blade and cut the backing paper around the edge of the graphic so u can trace right around it. if there is transfer paper on the graphics great if not try to get some. wet down both the bike and the back of the graphics...once u get them where ya want em usea credit card type squeegie and keep going over them until almost all the water is out from beind them. let dry for about 10-15min then peel the transfer paper off. transfer paper is usually clear so u shouldnt have problems lining them up. its really quite easy but i def reccommend the wet application instead of dry....dontknow if that helps ya any but its my .02

·
Registered
888 Posts
what Xw00dsrac3rX said
use lots of soapy water, not to much soap so you dont get too many bubbles
spray both the vinyl and the bike
use a blow dryer also to speed up the drying so the vinyl doesnt shift around when you have it on the right place
good luck!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Alright I got a question. I got some decals on my bike that I put on and it said to use the wet method for large graphics and dry for small ones. What is the advantage of a wet application? Sticks better? Oh ya, whats scotchlite?

·
Registered
888 Posts
scotchlite is reflective material made by 3M, found that on google :biggrin:
wet application is used so its easier to move around the vinyl once its on the surface you are applying it to
that way you can get it exactly where you want it to be
its mainly used on large graphics for this purpose
smaller graphics are easy to eyeball where you want it to go
but the wet method can still be applied

·
Registered
68 Posts
darks1de is def right on with that but just to add....wet application is great since u can squeegie all the bubbles out since it makes the actual adhesive somewhat slippery....one big secret that helps out alot in dry application is to start with one side of the graphic and slowly slide ur finger back and forth while holding the rest of the graphic up with ur other hand until the entire graphic is laid down. (big secret with that is not to use ur finger but place ur finger into a rag and use that since it will slide across the graphic much easier than ur finger thus leaving less bubbles) very easy process but def take ur time with it beacuse an extra 10 minutes in application will save u hours in removing glue :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
i did the soapy water thing for my decals...big or small. took a while, but definitely worth the effort. i would not recommend dry at all...unless you're really experienced.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the tapeworks graphics. Def use wet for large and i actually just used dry for a couple of the sponsor logos and pinstriping. The benefit of wet is having none to very minimal bubbles and air pockets as well as being able to place them and get them perfectly lined up before you squeegie the water out. Good luck it's not really that hard. Tapeworks provides you with practice graphics so just use them on a bucket or something to get the hang of it, it's really not hard though.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Xw00dsrac3rX said:
darks1de is def right on with that but just to add....wet application is great since u can squeegie all the bubbles out since it makes the actual adhesive somewhat slippery....one big secret that helps out alot in dry application is to start with one side of the graphic and slowly slide ur finger back and forth while holding the rest of the graphic up with ur other hand until the entire graphic is laid down. (big secret with that is not to use ur finger but place ur finger into a rag and use that since it will slide across the graphic much easier than ur finger thus leaving less bubbles) very easy process but def take ur time with it beacuse an extra 10 minutes in application will save u hours in removing glue :D
ah yes, i forgot to mention to start at one side, less bubbles
if you have a tint shop near you, ask them for a squeege
they have some credit card shaped squeeges that are perfect for this
plus it wont scratch up your paint like a credit card would, personal experience

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got everything but the right mid done (be here tomorrow) and you dudes helped a ton. I only have a couple small bubbles and pieces of dirt, otherwise Im pretty damn happy with how it came out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 for the wet application method. I used it for my graphics today and it worked out great. Another tip for curvy surfaces: Lay down the graphic on the flat surface and let it dry. Then wet the graphic for the curvy part and then lay that part down and let it dry. I found using this two step method allowed for a clean and bubble free application.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts