Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed a heated gear setup back in '09 but never used it. i ended up returning the gloves. I'm going to be buying the same gloves later this fall for the upcoming winter. i'm also about to install a usb port for charging my iphone mainly on long rides. now for the voltmeter part.

If i install one, it should read a certain number with none of my attachments hooked up. and when i hook the gloves and phone charger it'll read something else. how will i know if the battery starts draining faster than it is getting charged or if it is running ok?

EDIT - is there a magic number threshold?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
With the bike running there shouldn't be any appreciable difference in the voltage... that's what your regulator is there to do.

If you go below 14V or so then you have overloaded your electrical system but with a phone charger and heated gloves that is not likely in the least.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
With the bike running there shouldn't be any appreciable difference in the voltage... that's what your regulator is there to do.

If you go below 14V or so then you have overloaded your electrical system but with a phone charger and heated gloves that is not likely in the least.
Yep, run a test. Check the voltage at the battery. If it's below 12.8 you need to charge it, then check the voltage at the accessory cable (not directly at the battery) and it should read the same. With the lights on, and accessories on check your voltage with the engine running. I think the range is 13.7-14.4. Vary RPM up to 5k after the idle test and it should stay with the range (it should increase like 0.2 volts)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.