Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright so check this out fellas,in the first picture, the gearing pin coming out of the engine, when i install the set, i was able pushed that pin inside the engine like 1/2 inch.. i then couldnt shift...scary
so is this normal or is there something wrong? it then shifts properly when i push it back out tho... never seen or even try this . are your guys like that too? and hopefully i'm making sense..

here is my bad drawing . but this i meant....

now here are they installed...

GP SHIFT

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no, not sure, thats why im hoping one of ya can find out. ...ill prolly go start the bike up and maybe let it run thru the gears..\

oh and FYI everyone, there is no issue with the vortex or the installing of it, its i just found that the pin slip inside and im hoping i aint going to get some motor issue..

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
That should not move like that, did you force the red arm back on (tap on it with something)? This is a common issue when people install rearsets, they tap that arm on and bend the shifter fork.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That should not move like that, did you force the red arm back on (tap on it with something)? This is a common issue when people install rearsets, they tap that arm on and bend the shifter fork.
...:retard:.. oh ****...well um i did actually. please tell me im ok.. shoot.

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine doesn't have this issue and it's the same bike, although I didn't force/tap it on just kinda whispered sweet nothing's to it till it fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
thanks for comirming, well dont tap yours, cause i did to mines and now if i wanted to push it, it will slide into the casing... darmm :banghead:

hoping its nothing major.... im reading about broken shift forks.. and if thats what i got . its going to be an big :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
thanks for comirming, well dont tap yours, cause i did to mines and now if i wanted to push it, it will slide into the casing... darmm :banghead:

hoping its nothing major.... im reading about broken shift forks.. and if thats what i got . its going to be an big :banghead::banghead:
Damn!!! Yea dude if you forced it on there like that the shift forks are cheap but the work is crazy pricey as you have to open the motor up. Best of luck man. Keep us updated. I have to do the shift forks on my dirtbike and its a pain I can imagine how it will be on a streetbike. Did you take the bolt completely off before trying to slide the mount in?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn!!! Yea dude if you forced it on there like that the shift forks are cheap but the work is crazy pricey as you have to open the motor up. Best of luck man. Keep us updated. I have to do the shift forks on my dirtbike and its a pain I can imagine how it will be on a streetbike. Did you take the bolt completely off before trying to slide the mount in?

dam stupud of me to do that,, well here, ill tell you exactly what i did. dont flame hha,

you all see how the oem rod is red and also the connect pieces is red right?
that cause i painted it. i just dip it on paint , so now the top linkage has an extra few layer of paint that's why it didnt go smoothly like how it should had. thats when i got the mallet and started tapping on it. and all sudden bloop it went in a bit...like 1/2 inch.
i not sure if i should go start it and run it thru the gears..

hopefully it aint a biggy. i just ask my buddy who had and rebuild his R1 this season.. he's saying it cant be that bad as ridng it..well see

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I didn't know that piece is so fragile that slight tapping can cause a break. Good luck with the fix.

Side note but what about a temporary fix where you can put something on the end of the rod to prevent it from sliding?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
well when pushed back out to being normal, i dont think it'll slide in. im just worry about internal damage.
Hhmmm. 1/2 is quite a bit to sink in there. Try and find a diaphragm an see what could cause it to slide it in. Did run through the gears?

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
Ok i was wondering about the Red paint, correct me if im wrong but the new Vortex linkage part that connects to the shift rod is the same as oem right? mine isnt painted, so i can assume that after loosening the bolt it should slide in. I remeber having to remove it for my woodcraft case cover install, when i was done i just slipped it back on (no taping or mallet) anyways i hope it all works out for you man

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
Wait, does the Vortex Rearsets not come w a new shifter rod?? or did you paint that red?
Edit : after looking at your pic i see the new rod that came w the sets, wasnt sure you had to re use the main rod (your in red)

·
Registered
849 Posts
^that pic's of V2's

Nuttynu's look like V1's

V2's come with 2 shift rods, you only use one.

Length determined by choice of shift setup.

^the pic of V2's is setup for regular shift pattern.
GP shift pattern would have the shift rod on top for the V2's.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
The part you messed up is #1 on here.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/GEARSHIFT_DRUM/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/5277/Model/CBR600RR/GroupID/199252/Group/GEARSHIFT_DRUM

Very thin metal piece. We did this once and won't make this mistake again.
Make sure to take your bolt out all the way before installing the knuckle. Yours might be bend but it also might be broken off. You have to open up the cover, remove the clutch basket and that will give you room to replace this part.

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
^that pic's of V2's

Nuttynu's look like V1's

V2's come with 2 shift rods, you only use one.

Length determined by choice of shift setup.

^the pic of V2's is setup for regular shift pattern.
GP shift pattern would have the shift rod on top for the V2's.
ok thx, i just ordered from Cycle Sector, so i assume ill be getting the V2's then? ill more and likely go w reg shift pattern anyways

1 - 20 of 38 Posts