Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys was wonderin if any one else havin these probelms i am about to describe

ok have owned the bike now brand new for a year and change and it had bin to the dealership 4 times now cause it refuse to start the first time they said that battery jus ran down so they charged it up and sent me on my way the second time they said they changed the entire charging system and sent me on my way the third time they said the plugs were foled up so they replace them and sent me on my way ok two days ago i rode the bike to the bank and stop for 5 mins to use the atm and tried to start it and it wouldn't go so i took it to them and they said the battery died and they charged it up and sent me on my way. They told me that honda tired to save on weight so the charging system they put it in not sufficent enough for the bike so when riding in the city i have to ride in low gears at high rpm's and not to use my high beam and to get a battery tender and plug the battery in . i ride my bike back and forth to work 4 of of the five days to work which is 21miles round trip and one day a week to school which is 60 miles round trip is that not sufficent enough for my battery to charge i would appericate any suggestion or comments thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
i had the same problem, swapped the battery and i was good to go

·
Registered
965 Posts
"They told me that honda tired to save on weight so the charging system they put it in not sufficent enough for the bike "

Lie.....

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
that was pretty hard to read man. might want to use some commas and periods next time.

the bike is an 06? if so, i havent heard of problems like this on the newer rr. the battery would be my first guess. either undercharged or dead. hopefully it isnt a charging system problem, because that would be much more costly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea it is an 06, and they did change the charging system on it already. And it is still doing the same thing i am thinking about filing for lemon law on it. cause it jus sucks every time i go some where and this happens i have to get it towed thanks god i am a member of the honda riders club so i get it towed for free. what do u guys think about the lemon idea i mean it bin 4 times already.
and yes i do have a meter

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ride my 04 about 4 miles each trip with both HID headlights on along with running lights. I also have a scorpio alarm. I rarely ride in high gear. I have never had charging problems from normal use.

Buy a battery charger at walmart for about $20. It comes in handy a lot!

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
its most likely the battery. i haven an 06 and had this same problem a few months ago. its usually a discharged battery from leaving the lights on with the engine off. it will drain the battery and you will have problems. altho my battery problem was fixed by just re-charging the battery again.

take it to another mechanic and ask for a 2nd opinion. if the problem persists, file for a lemon.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
start the bike
put a voltmeter on the battery terminals
it should read more than 12v
if not stator is bad

·
Registered
780 Posts
i would ask for a second opinion. there is some truth to what they are saying. sometimes if your commute is only 5 minutes at a time, each way, your charging system doesnt get a chance to actually do its job and recharge itself. the constant starting of the bike and lack of time spent actually riding the thing could add up to battery problems. its happened to my 03 before, remedied it with a battery tender.

hope that helps

cheers

K

·
0 Posts
start the bike
put a voltmeter on the battery terminals
it should read more than 12v
if not stator is bad
nononononono... no, no, no. this is NOT how you determine if the stator is malfuctioning.

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

Borrowed that from one of BT's replies. Use that in conjuction with the Honda Service Manual to PROPERLY diagnose a charging system anomaly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ight guys thanks for all your help so far . i am going to check it out this weekend with the meter and i am also going to get me a battery tender

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once a battery is run dead, (unless a Optima) They usually are never the same after charging them back up. They always seem to loose their charge alot faster. I'd replace the battery, or take your battery to like an Autozone and have them load test the battery like knights said to make sure it's still in spec.

·
Registered
475 Posts
yea it is an 06, and they did change the charging system on it already. And it is still doing the same thing i am thinking about filing for lemon law on it. cause it jus sucks every time i go some where and this happens i have to get it towed thanks god i am a member of the honda riders club so i get it towed for free. what do u guys think about the lemon idea i mean it bin 4 times already.
and yes i do have a meter
Why dont u just jump start it by putting it in second gear and start running lol its way better than getting towed

K

·
0 Posts
assuming the battery is taking a charge and the stator wont fry the electrical harness (or the R/R) due to the load it's producing at such a large demand...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
nononononono... no, no, no. this is NOT how you determine if the stator is malfuctioning.
it wont diagnose the exact problem but even at idle if the stator is working properly you will see more than 12v across the terminals. if you dont see at least 12.1 then you know the stator is going. either that or the bad stators i have seen just happened to be diagnosed like this on a coincidence. its quite simple really, if the stator is bad it doesnt charge, if it doesnt charge the battery started draining with the bike running so a voltmeter across the terminals will start dropping in voltage as its running. i dont see why you so emphatically disagree with such a simple process

not to mention the countless alternators that have been diagnosed like this.

AND in my 07 service manual
on page 17-7 to test the charging system with high beams on put a multimeter on the terminals and rev the engine to 5000rpms and look for

battery voltage<charging voltage<15.5 volts total

so YES YES YES YES YES this is how you test this system

1 - 20 of 32 Posts