Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike up on the stand last night cleaning the chain. As I spun the back wheel at a certain point i would hear a brushing of the brake on the rotar. It would go away until it came back around that point. Thats clearly a warped rotar right? I got the bike brand new and have had it for 2 weeks now, it should be covered?

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
Probably... unless you've been riding your brakes like you're driving MISS DAISY!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not even 600 miles on the thing yet and I havent been hard on the brakes, or anything for that matter.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I think it is fine and just the wear of the pads. Maybe have the dealer take a look at it, I doubt they are warpped at that milage.

Jason

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wow dude, do you own a dealership or something? Dude, you will find that your brakes WILL rub against the rotor from time to time, especially when your riding it at lower speeds. Nothing to worry about dude, be less anal about that unless you have dropped the bike, or if you ride the brakes harder than a MotopGP Racer. Then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im anal about it because I've had many problems within the first 2 weeks so far. From my left handlebar falling off twice, to a cracked steering column cap when they lowered the bike, and a kickstand that was too long when they lowered the bike, so I had to wait for them to send it off and cut it down. I dont let anything go by as "normal" now.

K

·
0 Posts
it's fine. don't worry about it. Worry when it slows the rear wheel durring a ride.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Arcrist said:
Im anal about it because I've had many problems within the first 2 weeks so far. From my left handlebar falling off twice, to a cracked steering column cap when they lowered the bike, and a kickstand that was too long when they lowered the bike, so I had to wait for them to send it off and cut it down. I dont let anything go by as "normal" now.
Okay dude, lets see. It is not Honda's Fault. You lowered the bike! If Honda found that out they could viod the Warranty IF you have one! The kickstand is of course going to be too long! You have to cut it...you dropped it 3 inches right? Sounds to me like they did not tighten the bolts for the handlebar!!

The cap became cracked because someone was careless. I would not suggest taking your bike back there as you risk your life!

but the Brake rubbing IS NORMAL!

·
Registered
454 Posts
You could have cut the kickstand with a Dremel and bought one of those flat pucks to put under your kickstand!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My front brakes do that. Sometimes I get "chatter" when I'm on the brakes, especially trail braking into a turn. I think (read: hope) that it is just the pads. I'll find out next spring after I replace the pads and put on SS braided lines over the winter. Been doing that since I got the bike, only had 1,000 miles on it (8,300 now), so I doubt it's the rotors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CHeck to see if the rear wheel is cockeyed

·
Registered
646 Posts
If the rear rotor is infact warped I have a straight one for sale if you're interested.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer lowered the bike so it doesnt void warranty, atleast they said so. They did cut the kickstand down, i got my bike a day late because of it. Im going to check the wheel now to see if its straight. Everytime I stop, it feels like the back wheel is fishtailing, very unstable. Twice in two days I almost lost it coming to a stop, probably because I was too heavy on the back brake, but maybe the rotar is fubar. Checking now...

envirocbr said:
Okay dude, lets see. It is not Honda's Fault. You lowered the bike! If Honda found that out they could viod the Warranty IF you have one! The kickstand is of course going to be too long! You have to cut it...you dropped it 3 inches right? Sounds to me like they did not tighten the bolts for the handlebar!!

The cap became cracked because someone was careless. I would not suggest taking your bike back there as you risk your life!

but the Brake rubbing IS NORMAL!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the wheel is fine, its probably just normal rubbing of brake + rotar, and my heavy back braking foot. I just hear a lot of stories of people loosing it on turns, having the bike slide out, so I take my turns slow. It is okay to use the back brake in a turn right?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you're locking up your rear in a straight line I would not use it in a turn until you get control of that right foot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't use the rear brake at all. Might as well take it off and save weight. In my opinion, for normal street riding, the rear brake is not needed. Go try to do some stoppies and see how much power that front brake really has. Now using the rear brake on the track is a different story, but it's a more advanced technique, not one to learn now. Forget what you learned at MSF, just use the front brake.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Arcrist said:
Yeah the wheel is fine, its probably just normal rubbing of brake + rotar, and my heavy back braking foot. I just hear a lot of stories of people loosing it on turns, having the bike slide out, so I take my turns slow. It is okay to use the back brake in a turn right?
i do, but only when its a tight controlled turn. my instructor called it 'showing the wheel'. When people trail brake round a bend, i believe their actually trying to scrubb off a bit of speed to tighten the line. I havn't heard that trail braking can be used to settle the rear in a regular turn, but your radius will be a little tighter. As far as the back popping out mid bend, i wouldn't worry about it. Id imagine that by trailing the rear youll be getting less information back from the tyres, like chatter and general unsettlement. If i feel the back starting to get unsettled, then i might try and trail a bit, but ill probably just modulate the gas reducing the lean angle slightly. Id say trailing would possibly be better than modulating the gas, as your less likely to give it a chop, load the front and wash out. But hey, like im ever sailing quite that close to the edge anyway.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Arcrist said:
Learn to use BOTH brakes at the same time. This keeps the bike stable and offers the greatest stopping power. For now, don't try to brake during a corner. This is an advanced technique that can have you on the ground if done incorrectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts