Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the story behind it all...
Many years ago I made a promise to myself, predicated on believing that accomplishing certain things in life earns certain luxuries. Although this particular goal was realized years ago I never fulfilled the promise to myself. I don't wear jewelry other than my wedding band and a wristwatch and am remarkably picky about my watches.

Here's the question. Can anyone tell me the appreciable differences between a 3570.50 and 3573.50 model Omega Speedmaster Moon watch? Online comparisons don't say much so I'm looking for a expert.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It might be one of those things where the model number is different depending on which vendor its coming from or maybe its a slightly updated model. I haven't looked, but if they are the same price (or close) I'd error on the side of the 3573.50.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have the day-date (pic below) but I'm not sure what you're comparing the MoonPhase with but between the day-date and the moon phase - the moon phase has the extra dial (0-80) on the left and the dates and day on the day-date is inside the tachymetre and the 24hr dial on the left. The red hands on the day-date are the timers, with the yellow one pointing to the date and within the 30sec timer dial is the month and day. You can get better price than $3k, check Hamilton Jewelers and find out how much they go for (they usually have a good discount on Omega and Breitling) then go from there and see if you can get better price elsewhere.

Day-date :

Moon Phase :

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should've been more specific. Not the moon PHASE watch, THE moon watch, the one that is space flight certified by NASA, the only watch to ever go to the moon. Both the 3570.50 and 3573.50 are both Moon watches and I got a PM saying the the difference is in the calibration. The 3570.50 is calibrated to 1861 and the 3573.50 is calibrated to 1863, not that it matters significantly to me since I'm not flying spacecraft, well not yet anyway. :D

I'll look at Hamilton Jewelers. Zizou - any complaints on your speedmaster? This'll be my third omega and they're definitely my favorite manufacturer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I never looked at the ref. # but the only info I get is that 1863 is an enhancement of 1861. The original movement that was tested and worn on the moon was the 321 which Omega didn't know that NASA has been extreme testing along with Longines and Rolex which eventually only Omega held up. This was redesigned launched in 1968 as the "Professional" and with calibre 861. 1861 and 1863 are both derived from 861. I'll talk to my Hamilton rep regarding this, what particular differences they might have and will let you know. I love the day-date, it's like a fancy Omega with all the hands and dials :supz:

BTW from Omega Online:

Which Speedmaster is the original Moon Watch?

The Speedmaster Professional with reference number 3570.50.00 is the original Moon Watch. This model is made of stainless steel on a stainless steel bracelet, fitted with a black dial and a hesalite crystal. It is waterproof to 30 metres/100 feet and is equipped with the calibre 1861 manual-winding movement.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool - thanks for the info! the 3570.50 is the one I want, the same caliber as what the astronauts wore, fortunately it's less expensive than the others. :D

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Nice choice! I have an Omega as well that I inherited from my grandmother and I love it.

I'd also like to get an updated Omega Constellation with the mother of pearl face and diamon inlay, but I think I'll have to wait a while. :rolleyes:

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Omegas are great watches as far as styling goes. I bought my girlfriend a pearl faced Omega Constellation, and I really like that the watches come in multiple sizes since I don't like big clunky watches.

I really like Tag Heuers as I'm a big fan of anything that can boast precision engineering. Tags are excellent watches as far as time keeping goes. When I have some money I'll buy a Tag as a second watch.

I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King, silver faced, and the hard to find numberless face. Its an awesome watch and I wear it doing just about everything, swimming to climbing to working on my computers and bikes....and the saphire crystal never gets scratched. It's not very accurate though...I lose about 2.5-3 minutes by the end of the month. I like that it's simple, and elegant, and most of all--doesn't look cheap, but at the same time doesn't look 'blingy.'

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
jet, i'm a watch/pen/sunglasses guy as well. it's a guy's version of buying ridiculously expensive purses.

anyway, i've found this place has good prices on watches:

www.jomashop.com

retail $2,895, their price $1,910.70

retail $3,695, their price $2,438.70

congratulations on whatever it is that you think you've done to deserve it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ill never part with my Rolex.................had it for about 5 years, do everything from scubadive, ride bikes, mend bikes and decorate in it

Still looks like new !!

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Since we're on the topic...

I've never been into pens...but I'd like to. Where to start?

I'm starting law school next year...and I figure i'll eventually need a nice pen.

Ever misplace your pen? I have this $14 doctor grip pen that I use every day and haven't lost in 3.5 years. I think that's my new record.

What are good pen brands? What's like the "mercedes-benz" brand of pens? What's their entry level pen? Do these actually write nicer than my $14 dollar doctor grip pen, or am I just paying for status?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Aeteocles : Mont Blanc - very nice, writes on paper too :yawinkle: as for watches, I'm pretty active and allways wear my Polar 720i

1 - 20 of 32 Posts