Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brainerd International Raceway (Brainerd, MN)
Zalusky Advanced Riding School (ridezars.com)
September 2, 2019
Advanced Group

My first (and only) crash in 12 years of riding.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Looks like a loss of traction, you're mid throttle on....oil on line?

Saw rider ahead lose trac as well....?

that was a violent down, and not due to rider error?

U OK?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely rider error. I decided mid-turn to try to get an inside line on the rider in front of me, so I started to roll on the throttle mid-corner while i was at full lean angle. Bad judgement call on my part. My rear tire washed out, and I rolled for about 40 feet but was able to get up and walk away with moderate soreness but no injuries. That was my first time finding the limits of a bike, and I understand what I did wrong. Several laps in so I don't believe it was related to temps/pressures, and the track was clean. The rider in front of me never noticed, but there was another rider behind me that locked up his brakes and also went down.

My gear did it's job and the bike isn't all that bad (dedicated track bike that has been crashed before by previous owners), so overall it was a good learning experience. Live and learn, and I'll be back at another smaller track this weekend. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely rider error. I decided mid-turn to try to get an inside line on the rider in front of me, so I started to roll on the throttle mid-corner while i was at full lean angle. Bad judgement call on my part. My rear tire washed out, and I rolled for about 40 feet but was able to get up and walk away with moderate soreness but no injuries. That was my first time finding the limits of a bike, and I understand what I did wrong. Several laps in so I don't believe it was related to temps/pressures, and the track was clean. The rider in front of me never noticed, but there was another rider behind me that locked up his brakes and also went down.

My gear did it's job and the bike isn't all that bad (dedicated track bike that has been crashed before by previous owners), so overall it was a good learning experience. Live and learn, and I'll be back at another smaller track this weekend. :)
You can hear the rpm change at .15-16 sec mark. Couldn't tell that you were trying to get on the inside line, wouldn't have guessed that based on your outside line location compared to the rider in front.

I am no expert, so take what I see with a grain of salt!

Happy that you are well. Were you able to ride the rest of the day, or was that it for the day?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I slowed a little more than I wanted to for corner entry because I felt like I was coming in a little hot on his tail, so I didn't have as tight of a line in the corner as I wanted. As I was apexing, I decided last-minute to try to take the inside line on him coming out of the corner instead of using the full track on exit. I believe that continuing at full-lean and trying to get on the throttle a little early is what lost the rear. I could definitely be wrong, but that's how I remember/see it :)

Being the first time that I've crashed and the adrenaline rush that comes along with it, I chose not to ride after. I wouldn't have been able to if I'd wanted to though as my right footpeg snapped off and I didn't have replacement parts (also wore down my frame sliders quite a bit, cracked the windscreen, snapped the fairing stay, ripped out my right swingarm spool, and roughed up the fairings a good amount).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts