Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 75k miles and I found a slight leak from my water pump. I figured, replacing the gasket will fix it.

When water pump was pulled out, I saw that it was missing a whole piece which I can only assume is in my oil pan right now.

I'm not sure when or how this broke, bikes not being ridden until I pull this piece out of my oil pan.

Suggestion how something like this can break? I'll attach pic in my next post.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Picture?
Why in the oil pan? I would think that its probably gone into the water jackets

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It won't let me upload. I'll try again shortly. It fell into the port, water jacket may be valid. Regardless it requires I remove oil pan from what my mechanic has told me so far

·
Black & Blue
161 Posts
I would definitely park the bike until I had that piece out. It looks like it would be small enough that it could be anywhere in the coolant system. Yikes!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's parked. Oddly I'm being told it'll be found inside the oil pan. Is the coolant fed through separately inside the Oil Pan on these models?

·
Registered
862 Posts
The bit that broke off isn't sitting in a cooling jacket so looking in cooling passages or worrying that it ended up in there is pointless. The water pump sits just above the oil pan so why not give it a shot and take it off? The oil pan is held in by a few bolts around the perimeter so it's easy enough to get to. I'm not too familiar with the guts of this engine as I have't had the need to dig in that deep yet but as long as there aren't any big obstructions, you should find that piece in the oil pan.

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
The cooling system is a self contained system. DOES NOT connect to the sump despite proximity to oil pan. However, the pump is driven from a shaft that connects through the pan. This looks like the driven end of the pump that inserts through the case, which explains why you are being told to look in the oil pan.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
it seems unlikely that big chunks of alloy went past the shaft from the water side to the oil side?

could those pieces be hiding in the water cooler pump housing that is driven off that shaft?

or dropped in a pan, as you where working on this?

do you have water in your oil?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
That looks like the drive side of the pump. Not the impeller side.

I don't know exactly how the pump is driven but that part definitely isn't pushing water.

You can either drop the pan or pull your clutch cover. You get good access to the pan if you pull your clutch basket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts