1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Highway Patrol conducting Operation Dragon
Graham Sentinel Newspaper – May 3, 2006
Graham County , North Carolina

The North Carolina Highway Patrol will conduct "Operation Dragon 2006" in an attempt to reduce speed related collisions on Western North Carolina involving motorcycles. Speed remains the leading cause of traffic collisions and fatalities in the state and motorcycle collisions in the five most Western North Carolina counties have increased 56 percent from 2004. Locations in this area of North Carolina and in bordering Tennessee have become some of the leading motorcycle, destinations in America . "Operation Dragon 2006" is a joint initiative with North Carolina and Tennessee Highway Patrol that addresses these concerns.

The campaign will be conducted on Saturday, 13 May 2006 . During this period, Troopers from both states will create a highly visible presence aimed at targeting speeding, along with all other state violations and regulations.

Troopers will be assigned to work Deals Gap (US-129) and the Cherohala Skyway area (NC-143) where we have experienced numerous problems with the reckless operation of high performance motorcycles. Troopers have been instructed to aggressively enforce the speed limit laws in addition to other violations such as tailgating, improper lane changes, and other traffic law violations to ensure the safety of motorists on our highways and to reduce collisions.

The Highway Patrol will utilize special marked, unmarked vehicles, motorcycles and aircraft to combat speeding in these areas.

Speed Kills and Seatbelts , Save Lives!"

----

For those of you that want to come down here and ride the dragon, be careful.. they are doing this almost every weekend now..

A couple weekends ago they actually stopped every motorcycle and checked to see if they had anything 'illegal' such as license plate mounting, flushmounts, etc. and wrote tickets if they found anything ... they gave a lot of people tickets for 'drag racing' and illegal passing..

A lot of the locals just try to go during the week.. the weekends are almost too crowded anyways - good thing we have a lot more roads to ride!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
They were doing that last time I was up there visiting my father. They got me on the cherohala skyway. He let me slide with a warning. He was right at the begining though. After about 3-4 miles into it we picked the pace back up. They will always be waiting at the little sky view spots on the side. Good luck to all who go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
im goin in two weeks. i hope they arent too strict about tags, mine is visible but has no lights and i have no front signals... im goin during the week though so hopefully it wont be too bad. last time i went i didnt see any cops at all! at the gas station people kept sayin that they saw blount count sheriffs all over 28 but i never saw one. i had to stop at every intersection and wait like 15 to 20 minutes for my dad on his harley, i felt kinda bad, but then i remembered he turned down taking my brothers gsxr 1000 so i didnt feel too bad lol. anyways, good luck to all the other dragon tamers and keep the rubber between the lines.

·
Registered
386 Posts
rustman600rr said:
im goin in two weeks. i hope they arent too strict about tags, mine is visible but has no lights and i have no front signals... im goin during the week though so hopefully it wont be too bad. last time i went i didnt see any cops at all! at the gas station people kept sayin that they saw blount count sheriffs all over 28 but i never saw one. i had to stop at every intersection and wait like 15 to 20 minutes for my dad on his harley, i felt kinda bad, but then i remembered he turned down taking my brothers gsxr 1000 so i didnt feel too bad lol. anyways, good luck to all the other dragon tamers and keep the rubber between the lines.
If two weeks is Memorial Day weekend.....I wouldn't even bother going...They will most likely be very strict on all laws...They gave tickets out for burnt out turn signal lights and plates not visible from 5 feet away. (I think 5 feet is the law.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im not sure ill be there may 29th til june 3rd. i hope its not im gonna be pissed. i havent been there in two years and i only got a day to play. this time ill have almost a week to ride so i was thinkin the cherohala dragon loop and checkin out wayah rd or whatever its called.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts