Race bodywork
Race Clip-ons
Adjustable Rearsets
Race air filter
Race slicks
Lightweight Battery (MotyDesign)
Kick stand removed
Evap canister removed

Other than the stock headers & exhaust and converting to ignition delete (which I really don't want to do) what other things should I be removing to reduce as much weight as possible?

According to Wiki, wet weight is 410....looking to reduce it down to 380 or less.

How much does your race bikes weigh?

·
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 11/14 & 4/13
2,806 Posts
Weight Reduction

To achieve that amount of weight reduction is going to cost you an awful lot of money. Removing the stock exhaust system and replacing with a full titanium system will save you a considerable amount of weight as will fitting aftermarket wheels. Those two things are where most weight savings can be found. Unless you are racing at an extremely high level there is not much point in spending vast amounts of money on drastically reducing overall weight. That said most championships, especially in the UK, have minimum dry weights in a bid to keep racing costs down.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhhh so you're moving up to the middleweights?? For next round? In that case, I can't give the competition any of my secrets. :thumbup:
LOL

No, no...I still need seat time on the 600. Last month's trackday was my 2nd time on the 600 out there.

Lightweight battery can drop 5-6 lbs
Oops, forgot to mention I already have one. I'll edit initial post. Thanks.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Difference in headers weight won't be much but the difference between a slip on and OEM muffler is considerable . Same thing in wheels after market wheels are slightly lighter than OEM . look into an after market subframe that might save you a few lbs as well

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much do you weigh? My biggest weight loss mod was working out. http://www.bodybuilding.com/

Have you removed the headlights and stock fairing stay?
This is a race bike which has race bodywork (no headlights and/or stock fairings).

As for weight, I weigh 150 without gear. I'm a bit overweight for my height. Ideally I should be at 140 lbs. <--easier said than done.

Difference in headers weight won't be much but the difference between a slip on and OEM muffler is considerable . Same thing in wheels after market wheels are slightly lighter than OEM . look into an after market subframe that might save you a few lbs as well

Good suggestion Moe. I think I'll look into aftermarket fairing stay but I really do like the look of the OEM. Not a big fan of ignition deletes.

Aftermarket subframes is a great suggestion but very pricey. Thanks Moe.

I guess what I really want to know is if I can remove any little bits here & there that may add up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOL

No, no...I still need seat time on the 600. Last month's trackday was my 2nd time on the 600 out there.

Ahh man. Well in that case...What I did to mine..
-Pair removal
-Gutted intake
-Theres a couple pieces on each side of the fairing stay that can be removed (I removed mine for steering clearance)
-Heat Shield removed
-Chain Guard
-Front sprocket guard
-Rear Fender
-Keyless Ignition
-Keyless gas cap
-Servo Delete
-Cut out the inside of the subframe where the stock seat mount was (had to for my tail section to fit)

And a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting. Not everything removed was for weight savings. Some of it was just stuff that was not needed.

Also, trimming as much weight off of myself as possible. Honestly, depending on how much body fat you have, you can drop more weight off yourself than the bike.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I have a slip-on now. I have been wondering what the weight diff would be between full titanium and just my slip on. Also iyo what would be the best (lightest) full titanum hookup?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL

Ahh man. Well in that case...What I did to mine..
-Pair removal
-Gutted intake
-Theres a couple pieces on each side of the fairing stay that can be removed (I removed mine for steering clearance)
-Heat Shield removed
-Chain Guard
-Front sprocket guard
-Rear Fender
-Keyless Ignition
-Keyless gas cap
-Servo Delete
-Cut out the inside of the subframe where the stock seat mount was (had to for my tail section to fit)

And a bunch of other stuff that I'm probably forgetting. Not everything removed was for weight savings. Some of it was just stuff that was not needed.

Also, trimming as much weight off of myself as possible. Honestly, depending on how much body fat you have, you can drop more weight off yourself than the bike.

I'm gonna have to come by your pit and check out your bike and ask a few questions on how-to during this month's race if you don't mind. Thx

·
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 11/14 & 4/13
2,806 Posts
Exhausts

I have a slip-on now. I have been wondering what the weight diff would be between full titanium and just my slip on. Also iyo what would be the best (lightest) full titanum hookup?
If you have a look at any of the main racing exhaust (Arrow, Akrapovič, LeoVince etc.) manufacturer's websites they will provide you with weights for their full systems and usually the weight saved over standard.

·
Banned
367 Posts
If you have a look at any of the main racing exhaust (Arrow, Akrapovič, LeoVince etc.) manufacturer's websites they will provide you with weights for their full systems and usually the weight saved over standard.
I know, but am pressed for time :D

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea come on over. Should be easy to find me. You running significantly quicker times on the 600 vs the 250?

Cool.

Oh definitely! One thing the 250 has thought me is entry & corner speed. I want to put a laptimer on the 600 next time I bring it out. Won't be this month though. Gotta concentrate on defending my title on the 250.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:crackup:sorry.
Not at all. I'm right there with you. LOL

But if someone said 250GP then I wouldn't be LOL.

The 250cc class is a lot of fun and it teaches you so much. It will help you to become that much faster on the 600...guaranteed. :banger:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts