Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day my bikes rpms started to jump from like 1k to 2k when idling.
Doesn't matter if in N or 1st at a light.
I went to honda they said they had a bike in the shop now getting new motor b\c they used 86 oct fuel and was from same problem im having.
said the injectors are gettin carbarated or something to that effect.
Also honda guys said that guy's bike is not cover under warranty b\c it says to use 93 oct. in the owners manual.
I don't have my manual anymore but I thought it said to use 86 or higher.
So this just isn't making sense to me.
Should I start using higher octane?
Or could this problem be air filter.
some thoughts please.
Crom

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
def. not the gas or the air filter. its possible that the gas is "bad" but more likely than not you have a clog in the fuel filter or fuel lines. take a peak inside your tank and check the lines, filter, and pump.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tell them they are idiots because it says to use 86
Actually... My manual says 91 Octane. I couldn't possibly see 93 being required though. The highest Ive commonly seen is 92, which is only offered by Fina and not available in all areas. Unless you're getting race gas?

K

·
0 Posts
Actually... My manual says 91 Octane. I couldn't possibly see 93 being required though. The highest Ive commonly seen is 92, which is only offered by Fina and not available in all areas. Unless you're getting race gas?
and that's because you're not from North America... and in North America there is 87, 89, and 91 PON. in most other parts of the world, it's 91+ RON (Which is the same as 87 PON).

An 86 RON would definitely cause massive premature detonation in every cylinder on every compression stroke and would ruin a motor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
and that's because you're not from North America... and in North America there is 87, 89, and 91 PON. in most other parts of the world, it's 91+ RON (Which is the same as 87 PON).

An 86 RON would definitely cause massive premature detonation in every cylinder on every compression stroke and would ruin a motor.

Actually I am from North America. I'm originally from Texas and currently living in Arizona. I use 91 all the time, especially here in AZ because of the detonation 86 causes. Although, I'm fairly certain the manual says to use 91..but ill check when I get home just to make sure I'm not pulling that out of my ass :)

K

·
0 Posts
If your manual says 91, you're reading a EU manual. the NA Manual says 86 or higher. however the higher ambiant temperatures in Arizona may increase the chances for Premature Detonation (not detonation as that's quite sought after in any internal combustion engine) and depending on the circumstances a higher Octane would be better. however if the engine is running at normal operating temperatures (<100*C) 89 is as high as you'd need it. but it'll still run with 91. hell it'll run on 103, it'll just be a pig...

·
Registered
190 Posts
If your manual says 91, you're reading a EU manual. the NA Manual says 86 or higher. however the higher ambiant temperatures in Arizona may increase the chances for Premature Detonation (not detonation as that's quite sought after in any internal combustion engine) and depending on the circumstances a higher Octane would be better. however if the engine is running at normal operating temperatures (<100*C) 89 is as high as you'd need it. but it'll still run with 91. hell it'll run on 103, it'll just be a pig...
Yeah I meant premature detonation, I refer to it as detonation though. I'll check my manual cause if I can get away with 89, with gas prices as they are I'd prefer that lol. Thanks for pointing out the differences in manuals. Maybe my bike was shipped with the wrong one.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i have never seen 86 sold anywhere i have been up and down the west coast and a few states in and its always 87/89/91 and i herd they have 93 places out east. anyways even in AZ the engine shouldnt have any problems on 87 i run it in my bike all the time and have taken it out the desert without any problems at all.

K

·
0 Posts
i have never seen 86 sold anywhere i have been up and down the west coast and a few states in and its always 87/89/91 and i herd they have 93 places out east. anyways even in AZ the engine shouldnt have any problems on 87 i run it in my bike all the time and have taken it out the desert without any problems at all.
85/86 is found in higher elevations due to the thin air. the lack of atmospheric pressure that is found at high alt. lowers the CR in the engine, therefor an easier burning fuel is required.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright cool thx..
it was funny how the honda guys were goin on and on about how that guys bike isn't covered under warranty b\c he used wrong gas...
ill check the filters and lines.
thx again
Crom

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Those guys from the Honda shop must have really bad breath cause it sounds like they're talking out of their asses. Sounds like a hot steaming pile of bs to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts