Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody had a frame welded? Only for very minor cracks, nothing major. For example, I got an awesome deal on a crashed bike, but the frame has a 2mm hairline crack and I was wondering about getting it Tig welded or something.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know a lad who dropped his engine last week to get his R6 frame welded. He spent a decent amount of time looking into it, asking lots and lots of knowledgable people on forums, race meetings etc etc and with the minor crack in his, in the position it's in, it was decided probably safe to do.

I'd be happy to ride a welded frame if i knew and trusted the welder, and it was in a place iw as happy to have welded. Even so, if you're not happy with it despite people saying it's ok, then it's not worth it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I know a lad who dropped his engine last week to get his R6 frame welded. He spent a decent amount of time looking into it, asking lots and lots of knowledgable people on forums, race meetings etc etc and with the minor crack in his, in the position it's in, it was decided probably safe to do.

I'd be happy to ride a welded frame if i knew and trusted the welder, and it was in a place iw as happy to have welded. Even so, if you're not happy with it despite people saying it's ok, then it's not worth it.
I'm not sure I'd trust anyones welding unless I knew the crack was at a non stressed point on the frame, but then again, isn't that kinda impossible to have an unstressed point...

·
Registered
923 Posts
i got my frame welded and is very goog the only thing the guys say me is not to bring the bike to the track but dont know, i feel it perfect and it was a big weld, so i think you should have no problem just see that the guys are pro for sure.

rodrigo

·
Registered
923 Posts
que de que o que? LOL mi ingles no es bueno escribiendo disculpa jajaja siempre me pasa lo mismo/

rodrigo

·
Registered
118 Posts
i got my frame welded and is very goog the only thing the guys say me is not to bring the bike to the track but dont know, i feel it perfect and it was a big weld, so i think you should have no problem just see that the guys are pro for sure.

rodrigo
the guys which are saying don't bring bike to the track don't think.
The track is less dangerous than the streets. If your frame was broken in half and you riding on the street and if it will brake than you die. You can hit so many things when you go down. On the track you go faster or lower during the turnings. So what you going to hit? pavement?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
the guys which are saying don't bring bike to the track don't think.
The track is less dangerous than the streets. If your frame was broken in half and you riding on the street and if it will brake than you die. You can hit so many things when you go down. On the track you go faster or lower during the turnings. So what you going to hit? pavement?
But when your at the track that is where the frame flexes most under hard braking an fast turns. So you want to put it under harsh conditions or just putting around on the street. And you can just as easily die at the track. Guy in front of me last year crashed at around 45 mph felt fine after crash and ended up passing away later that night.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts