Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I am having issues with my girl. She's starting to get loud and obnoxious and It all started when I thought I dropped a washer in my airbox under the velocity stack. (there is no way for it to pass under the velocity stack into the throttle body. The the bottom of the airbox sits higher than the "square cutout", but I found the washer after I took the whole airbox apart). When I put it together, I also installed a power commander while I was at it. When I started to run the engine and gave it a little power on throttle I heard this:

The engine temp of this video is roughly 120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW347lNvhPY&feature=youtu.be

Here is the engine at 100 degrees (sorry forgot to turn the flash on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSwMRd1-iRY&feature=youtu.be

Here is the engine warmed up at 170 degrees and camera not pointed at engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQ3hWHkkIQ&feature=youtu.be

Finally here is the engine warmed up at 190 degrees with the camera at the engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okzYqsuD-1E&feature=youtu.be

So I think I have ruled out Rod knock since this would not go away or get quieter as the engine warmed up. The 2003 CBR600RR has 44k miles on it and original clutch and clutch basket. I replace the oil every 3k miles with Motul 5100 and the last change was 1500 miles ago. The CCT was replaced anywhere between 5-20k miles ago (i sincerely forgot). Still I don't think I should be needing another one, but I have seen more interesting things happen. I think it is either the clutch rattling around or the CCT needs replacing again. The Valves were checked at roughly 30-31k miles and were in spec.

I cannot confirm that this is a new noise. I have never revved the engine like that when cold, so for all I know this was always there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's interesting is, if you listen closely, you don't hear the rattle during the beginning of the rev. I should have paid attention to what RPM it kicks in, but to me it sounds like 3-4k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So to update, I did some research and realized I last changed that CCT 12,200 miles ago in January of 2012. I guess it's possible I got one of the older models.

Still open to suggestions if anyone has some thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.

*EDIT*

CCT Ordered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump,

I changed the CCT and still have the noise!

I am thinking clutch, can chain guides( a little soon for this ? )

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I'd be pulling that cover off and inspecting the clutch and oil pump components. Check the clutch springs, the condition of the clutch plates, look for anything that may have broken off, check the oil pump chain and sprockets etc etc. Basically just pull that cover off and go over it with considerable care.

There are many things in there that can come loose and rattle about so you just need to take it slowly and check it out (also, undo the clutch bolts with a torque wrench so you can get a good estimate on how tight they were to begin with.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will be doing that in the next 2-3 weeks. I have to ride this bike 600 miles since I am moving to start my PhD. I hope it doesn't blow apart on me, but i'll just have to risk it in the mean time.

Just a note, the noise occurs even if the clutch is pulled in or fully out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help Nico! I have no idea how long this has been happening. I normally don't rev the bike cold and only did because I was checking to see if my PCIII was working. I usually ride 300+ miles a weekend so hopefully one trip will be okay.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I wouldn't be worrying about it at all, it's not a significant noise. Something to be looked at, but not something to lose sleep over... think of it as having a blown light.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
What the shop is trying to tell me

so from what the stealership is saying, the cam chain guides are worn and its causing that "buzzing" noise while its running, i really hope that's not expensive to fix but idk, parts are about 40 bucks, so hopefully labor isn't ridiculous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, recently my bike started doing the exact same thing, this noise can also be heard while riding. I've also changed the CCT, cam chain and guides, but the noise persists and is really annoying. The bike has 25k miles on it. The noise starts at about 4k rpm, and for the life of it i cannot think of any component that would cause this noise. Can worn clutch plates cause noise under load? Any news on this would be much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts