Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm really pumped about it. I got it for $4500 which I thought was pretty good. Great shape, 13.6k kms, 2005 (do you guys think I did alright price wise?)

I'm gonna get it inspected asap, but it probably won't pass with the front tire. Roughly how much does it cost to get a new one? What kind should I get? I really have no idea the differences between any of them. I won't be testing myself for a long while so I won't need anything great, ya know?

Umm. Anything I should know? I know a 600 seems like a big bike but I've grown up driving dirtbikes and I'm taking the course and read A twist of the wrist and I'm not reckless so I should be alright. It's going to be my only mode of transportation this summer so. Which brings me to another question. How is driving in the rain?

Anyways, this is getting a bit long. I'll upload a pic in a minute

http://i52.tinypic.com/r2vyw9.png

·
Registered
67 Posts
Price is not terrible for this time of year.

I'm running Dunlop Q2's. Costs probably ~$90USD for a front tire. You should probably replace both at the same time though so you can have a set front and rear.

Riding in the rain is fine. Annoying part is you can't see **** out of your visor. Just ride more straight up and give yourself more room to brake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
driving in the rain is a piece of cake man, my 600 is my only mode of transportation for right now, ive done it before, and I can do it again...

I got my 2006 with 9400 miles for $4250, which was an AWESOME deal, so yeah..you did pretty good on price...front tire shouldnt really matter for you though man, I say get something cheap until youre good enough to tell the difference
Okay that's great. I'm Canadian, too. Apparently the prices are pretty damn high compared to the states.

Price is not terrible for this time of year.

I'm running Dunlop Q2's. Costs probably ~$90USD for a front tire. You should probably replace both at the same time though so you can have a set front and rear.

Riding in the rain is fine. Annoying part is you can't see **** out of your visor. Just ride more straight up and give yourself more room to brake.
The guy I bought it from bought the back tire brand new this year. That's cool about the rain. I thought it might be a lot harder

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay that's great. I'm Canadian, too. Apparently the prices are pretty damn high compared to the states.

The guy I bought it from bought the back tire brand new this year. That's cool about the rain. I thought it might be a lot harder
maybe try and match the brand/make of the rear tire when you buy the front

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah if you need to replace the tire i would recommend replacing both, dunlop q2's right off there site is 209.99 shipped to your door, oh well it is to the states, don't know about canada.. but i see you said they previous owner replaced the rear tire this year, umm some people say and i believe it myself, but i would get the same model as the rear, keep the makes/models of the tires the same so the thread and compound will be the same..

riding in the rain isn't bad at all, i sometimes get caught and there's couple things I worry about the rain.. is cars won't really be able to see you if your on a highway because, tons of water/spray gets kicked up by cars, getting completely soaked since I don't have rain gear yet, and really not so much but flooded areas and big pot holes that are covered by water so you don't know it's there until you go over it..

600 for me was a pretty big change from my first bike which was a standard style suzuki bandit 600 GS, going from like 40-50 hp to 100+ was quite different in just plain throw your a$$ back power, and riding position. I've always wanted a sportbike so I actually love the aggressive riding position and basically had the standard bike for 1 year to learn riding in the streets with crazy drivers and learning to ride at actual speeds since I got my moto license in a parking lot..

anyways, be safe, wear your gear all the time and keep aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome

I'm really pumped about it. I got it for $4500 which I thought was pretty good. Great shape, 13.6k kms, 2005 (do you guys think I did alright price wise?)

I'm gonna get it inspected asap, but it probably won't pass with the front tire. Roughly how much does it cost to get a new one? What kind should I get? I really have no idea the differences between any of them. I won't be testing myself for a long while so I won't need anything great, ya know?

Umm. Anything I should know? I know a 600 seems like a big bike but I've grown up driving dirtbikes and I'm taking the course and read A twist of the wrist and I'm not reckless so I should be alright. It's going to be my only mode of transportation this summer so. Which brings me to another question. How is driving in the rain?

Make sure you keep that attitude as your mantra for a while. These bikes have a sort of mystical effect that just makes you want to give it a little more, then a little more, then a little more... you get the idea.

As for riding in the rain - just stay smooth, don't push it in corners, leave LOTS of room when braking and understand that you'll hit a slick spot every now and then so be ready.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where in canada are you? Yes, tires are damn expensive up here. I bought some Q2's from sportbiketrackgear.com, they will ship to canada for $50, Tires were $209.99 + $50 shipping, but i noticed on the website, that the price went up to $249.99 +$50 shipping. But the sad thing is that at the new price, its still cheaper than buying them here in calgary.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Congrats! Rain isn't a problem at all, you seem to have the right mentality. Take a safety course if you already haven't done so, get geared up, and you should be all set!

·
Banned
1,009 Posts

Congrats on the new bike, and yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine. As far as riding in the rain, its not a problem at all unless..... you have no gear.

If its a hard rain, it stings as the rain drops hit you. Now I've never ridden without at least jacket, gloves, and helmet, however even with the jacket on, its suprising how annoying it is to be getting pelted with what feels like little rocks. I cant imagine what it would be like without a helmet. That would really suck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
And, if it stops raining before you get home and you're wearing jeans, be sure to pull your legs away from the tank a few times. Or, the rest of your pants will dry and it will look like you just pissed yourself. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
And, if it stops raining before you get home and you're wearing jeans, be sure to pull your legs away from the tank a few times. Or, the rest of your pants will dry and it will look like you just pissed yourself. :thumbup:
Thats ok, because his first time in the rain, and he may very well piss himself. :crackup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
^^^^ Very True :+1:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats awesome fishbeard you lucky bastard. As far as tires go i wouldnt necessarily skimp despite the fact you probably wont ride like an animal. Do you really wanna be cheap on the only helping keep your body off the pavement? consider that one for awhile
rain riding isnt bad its mostly the same you just have to be more aware of everything watch out for slick pavement arrows on the pavement the lines on the road these are all terribly slippery if you get alot of rain collecting on your visor just turn your head to the side and it should come right off. you could also try a little bit of rain x on your visor ive never heard of anybody doing that but i do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember my first ride in really serious rain...

The weather at my house was clear, blue and sunny...nice riding weather.

Sadly, the weather about 10 or so miles east was heinous. There was so much standing water on the road surface I was cutting a wake with my rear tire. I was soaked by the hard rain still falling and "thrilled" by the lightning and thunder. I remember stopping to show an ID and the water on my bike being boiled off instantly fogging my helmet. The CBR is a pretty communicative bike, so I had a good idea (even not being a speed racer) how crappy the traction I was getting was.

So, yeah...I still ride when the weather isn't awesome, but I do like to avoid the really nasty weather. Lets you get back to worrying about the important stuff: like who can kill the biggest bug.

ETA:
Oh, uh, congrats on the new bike by the way. I remember when I got mine...good times, good memories. Do remember your self control. Starting out with something as high performance as a RR means less margin for error as compared to a Ninja 250 (which I just sold). Don't ask me how I know...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts