Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp FML... Er, I mean merry Christmas 🌲 everybody... LoL

So... I hurt the motor. 🤦

I was out on a sparsely populated 3 lane highway in Mexico last night...

I was being extra careful... pinned in 6th gear & it was running great 😀...

until it wasn't 😕 oops

It did stay running (like ****) I limped it home, Sounded like it was on 3 cylinders, power def went down & quite a bit of smoke from burnt oil out of the exhaust.

Whatcha guys think? Valves or rings? Wanna place bets?

I suppose I should drain the oil & check the filter first... Followed by a compression test

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any links, resources, suggestions (or leads to cheap motors) handy that might be of use to someone in my predicament?

Since finding Honda service repair manual PDF's online for free seems to be a whole thing (which we do not speak of here) 🙄 If anyone is feeling generous 🎅 this holiday season 🙏 can they PM me a gift🎁

**EDIT: Nevermind... The one I may or may not have located here 👉 MC "Black Bears" worked for me on the 2nd attempt 👌😁✌

· Super Moderator
11,962 Posts
Check the oil in the sight window. Does it look like a milkshake? It's hard to guess without being there but don't discount the pressure regulator or a hose coming loose inside the tank. This would lead to similar conditions where it sounds like it's missing a few cylinders.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Check the oil in the sight window. Does it look like a milkshake? It's hard to guess without being there but don't discount the pressure regulator or a hose coming loose inside the tank. This would lead to similar conditions where it sounds like it's missing a few cylinders.
I drained the oil, it looked normal... But I also looked in the fuel tank and that's all still in tact.

The dead giveaway is all the smoke from the exhaust... I would say there is definitely oil entering the combustion chamber somehow 🤷

It still fires right up (and smokes prefusly)

But on the bright side.... at least I know I didn't window the block like my last 2 vehicles in a row...

R.I.P. ⚰🥀 01 WS.6 Trans Am & 09 bmw 335i... 🤦

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Correction...."Carretera Nacional".

I'm trying to suss out where you where....TJ-Ensanada toll road?
Driven that a few times on work trips, nice road except for BIG payoff if you get some of the "Curvas Peligrosas" wrong.

Unusual to hear a "failed motor under max load" story here.

Please, keep posting about motor fail when you get more info!

· Registered
575 Posts
Welp FML... Er, I mean merry Christmas 🌲 everybody... LoL

So... I hurt the motor. 🤦

I was out on a sparsely populated 3 lane highway in Mexico last night...

I was being extra careful... pinned in 6th gear & it was running great 😀...

until it wasn't 😕 oops

It did stay running (like ****) I limped it home, Sounded like it was on 3 cylinders, power def went down & quite a bit of smoke from burnt oil out of the exhaust.

Whatcha guys think? Valves or rings? Wanna place bets?

I suppose I should drain the oil & check the filter first... Followed by a compression test
Valve I would guess.
I dropped one out doing 138mph on a V4... still ran okay with one connecting rod peek-a-booing out of the block.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to suss out where you where....TJ-Ensanada toll road?
Driven that a few times on work trips, nice road except for BIG payoff if you get some of the "Curvas Peligrosas" wrong.
My bad... I should have put "mexico" in air quotes 😆

Font Screenshot Electric blue Number Terrestrial plant

Unusual to hear a "failed motor under max load" story here.
Well now I feel special... LoL... 🥳
I will say, I did quite a bit of searching the interwebs yesterday & I didn't find a whole lot...

But this guy 👉 https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1MCaNoPGPfIgvjnEK0KNayeLk10LqYbT did film the entire process with a head mounted GoPro & split it into a 15 vid playlist (no talking) & He appears to be following the service repair manual step-by-step, so that's nice 👌

Please, keep posting about motor fail when you get more info!
I will... So far with just the plastics off I can see oil on the outside of the middle left exhaust manifold & it is coming out right at the flange/head so I'm guessing that is my offending cylinder.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
1st is compression/leakdown test. Depending upon results, may want to crack it open and look.

Have you been using full-synthetic moto-specific oil? And checking oil-level before every ride?

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Ohhhh, the 1/4 mile stuff.....that explains the "ventilated" lower ends in the cars on your list.
(And clarifies your post above)

If you've got funds....
It would be a good "sleeper" bike if you built it nice...

PS...you doing this on stock suspension/springs/settings/heights?

· Super Moderator
11,962 Posts
If you've got funds....
It would be a good "sleeper" bike if you built it nice...
Keep in mind that this upgrade will open a can of worms. You'd probably need to upgrade the OEM clutch to handle the increased HP. Will the transmission handle the extra HP even if the new clutch can? Pump gas? Probably not with 13.5:1 compression. You'll be stuck on Premium pump gas and possibly octane boosters if not straight race gas.

Don't get me wrong. I was raised on hot rods from the 1/8 mile. As fun as they are they come with strings attached. Lots of strings attached to dollar bills.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st is compression/leakdown test. Depending upon results, may want to crack it open and look.
I should've checked, but I went straight to teardown...

It's obviously hurt.. but hopefully whatever is hurt is also obvious 🤞lol.
Have you been using full-synthetic moto-specific oil? And checking oil-level before every ride?
Idk, I just bought it a month ago... Checked oil level once and it wasn't leaking or burning oil before so I didn't think daily checks were necessary...

I only put about 900 miles on it...

I would guess the failure had something to do with the bike having 78k miles on it, Plus he said it had sat for a while, plus all those HP's I added back from the fuel it was starved of...

And speaking of being starved of fuel... I'm sure the motor running lean for who knows how long had something to do with it 🤷

Or engines just hate me, I dunno why.. I love them 😍 lol.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It would be a good "sleeper" bike if you built it nice
Those prices are hilarious 🤑🤑🤑 why would anyone spend $10k + to get 150hp when you can buy a litter bike with 180hp for $4-6k?

Thank you but I do not currently have more money than I know what to do with...
PS...you doing this on stock suspension/springs/settings/heights?
Doing what? 🤷.. I'm not gonna be doing much of anything but wrenching for a week or 2...

I pretty much have everything removed from the motor already, spent about 5 hours on it yesterday...

From what I can see through the intake runners and exhaust ports, all the valve stems appear normal... Some have more oil than others...

But I also noticed that the whole inside of the air filter box was coated in oil...

The white paper filter that was perfectly white when I checked it a week ago is now yellow from oil...

So the crankcase breather might have been getting some extra "breath" from the combustion chamber..
yay 😒 (sarcasm)

I'm leaning towards rings at this point... 🤷

But on the plus side, I have now gotten quite intimate with this motorcycle... so that's been educational & fun...

It was like trying to pull 10lbs of **** out of a 5lb bag...

I'm sure figuring out how to reroute everything is gonna be even more fun 🤥

It's still easier than working on a bmw though 😆

· Registered
429 Posts
Hang on...600rr engine is extremely reliable, LS1 is extremely reliable, and N54 with consistent maintenance can handle serious power. How is it that you destroyed all off these in succession? You're on track to rebuild/replace this engine but, whether it is our business or not, I feel like you're leaving something out.

Just be careful out there dude because being on two wheels is entirely different than being in a car and you can lose your life very easily in comparison.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hang on...600rr engine is extremely reliable
perhaps I'm a bit bias here... But NOPE I don't see it!

j/k 😜

LS1 is extremely reliable
The LS1 was an awesome motor, yes... However the 4L60(e) and GM 10 bolt were both trash 🗑
I'm not sure why mine grenaded a piston and punched the block... It was a bolt on auto/ stall/ gears car that ran 12.5 @110
But it had 186k mi. & I was WOT when it did grenade 💥
N54 with consistent maintenance can handle serious power.
Haha... I see you know better than to claim an N54 to be reliable 😆 man that car was one high maintenance b*tch!

Also full bolt-ons and maxed out stock turbos at 22 psi...

How well do you know n54's? Are you aware of their known fatal flaw of shredding serpentine belts & ingesting them through the crank pulley seal?

...Which in turn gets picked up & chewed to bits by the timing chain, which leads to a clogged oil pickup tube & crank bearings oil starvation...

That 👆 is what happened to that money pit...

I feel like you're leaving something out.
🤔 Um... it's not like I'm worried about voiding my warranty...
No I'm not spraying NAWZ & there is no hidden kit on the bike, lol... not sure what you are implying 🤷

I typically over explain things & would definitely include all relevant information when seeking helpful advice, or just posting my experience to help others on the forums.

Just be careful out there dude.
Appreciate the concern, but you can rest assured that I'm always being as careful as possible... Especially while felony speeding, no matter what I'm on or in! ;) & same to you guy✌

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the power barn out today, gave her a bath in 1 can - degreaser & 2 cans - brake cleaner.

Pulled the fire-make-it-happeners and sparkelators out...

Electrode strap on the 2nd Sparkelator from the left was melted off & gone, so that's fine I'm sure 🙃

Then I got my peepers down 👁 in the sparkelator hole's and all the tops of the pistons look fine...

All of them Except #2 of course... #2 is F#@KED! Lol

I'm pretty sure there is a hole burned right through the center of it. So we'll pretend we didn't see that 😃

And yes I'm watching an old VGG right now 😎

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This poor bastard burned a hole in a CBR piston too, (03) but did it 14 YEAR'S AGO when the bike was only 5 years old... 🤷

I guess I'm not THAT special...

But I am wondering if cleaning the injectors when I did the fuel filter bypass would have saved me this particular "learning experience" 🤔

1 - 20 of 62 Posts