Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested my coolant and it looked to be 7.5 ph and looking online that looks to be way to acidic. I found that 9.8 to 10.5 is the ideal range.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Never seen pH mentioned OTF!

The 9.8-10.5 pH is quite alkaline (or Basic).

In large stationary motors/cooling systems I used to keep a pH of 9.0-9.5 pH with caustic soda based additives. I also added very toxic heavy metals for corrosion control, but that practice was discontinued by around 1990.

FWIW, rather than worry about pH, i'd change the coolant for new and follow Honda's recommendations......

Also-pH sensors are notorious for misreading if not recently calibrated, and quickly degrade in function if not used on a very regular basis.

What type of pH tester are you using?

Check Calibration with pH 7 and 10 buffer solutions before you move ahead?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never seen pH mentioned OTF!

The 9.8-10.5 pH is quite alkaline (or Basic).

In large stationary motors/cooling systems I used to keep a pH of 9.0-9.5 pH with caustic soda based additives. I also added very toxic heavy metals for corrosion control, but that practice was discontinued by around 1990.

FWIW, rather than worry about pH, i'd change the coolant for new and follow Honda's recommendations......

Also-pH sensors are notorious for misreading if not recently calibrated, and quickly degrade in function if not used on a very regular basis.

What type of pH tester are you using?

Check Calibration with pH 7 and 10 buffer solutions before you move ahead?
i am using coolant test strips

·
CBRCHRIS
108 Posts
Drain your coolant out and flush it a few times with distilled water then use water wetter and distilled water if your a warm season rider only or store your bike inside during winter. Runs cooler and helps maintain peak performance at all times

1 - 4 of 4 Posts