Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, whatter they fer?

I got one guy here in the office tellin me that the rings have gaps to drain oil from the cylinders. now, i thought rings had gaps because they need to be put on in the first place.

tell me what other purpose the gaps in the rings provide.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The rings act as a seal between the piston and cylinder wall so as to reduces compression losses and prevent oil from seeping into the combustion chamber.

You will see the gaps because the rings expand in diameter when the pistons are pulled out of the cylinders. (they are designed that way so that they apply pressure against the cylinder walls when they are insiide them) Once they are in the cylinders, the gaps will be reduced. Further as the piston gets hot when the engine is firing, the rings expand, further reducing the gap. If the rings did not have the gaps, thet would break under the heat of the engine.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The rings act as a seal between the piston and cylinder wall so as to reduces compression losses and prevent oil from seeping into the combustion chamber.

You will see the gaps because the rings expand in diameter when the pistons are pulled out of the cylinders. (they are designed that way so that they apply pressure against the cylinder walls when they are insiide them) Once they are in the cylinders, the gaps will be reduced. Further as the piston gets hot when the engine is firing, the rings expand, further reducing the gap. If the rings did not have the gaps, thet would break under the heat of the engine.
Absolutely correct. Plus. like you said, they have to get them on somehow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts