Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most common reasons for bikes to stop working for good?

I was just wondering because my 600rr is nearing 30k miles and still runs strong so i was curious.
I usually think just engine blowing or a leak that's not fixable or something, but I have no clue.

Not talkin about track bikes or from crashes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would venture a guess that most bikes that go retired a non-crash or track scenario are because guys just quit riding and let them sit for a decade and are just too lazy to try to sell it. Or just want to keep them for nostalgia aspects.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Crashing. Otherwise I don't see bikes getting retired. Oh wait I knew a guy who threw a rod from a GSXR1000 around 75k once. So theres that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you are worried that @ 30k miles your bike is close to retirement, please, worry no more.

The #1 thing that retires motorcycles is lazy owners! Consistently riding your motorcycle is a good thing. Change the oil on time, check the valves every 30k miles or so and your CBR will run for as long as you desire.

Remember, anything and everything can be fixed, so, the only reason a bike would stop working for good, would be the owner.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Besides premature deaths like crashes or getting burnt to ashes etc.

It would be like any other device/instrument/vehicle etc. they wear out...
Theoretically you could keep it going forever: Engine shat itself? Rebuild. Crack in the frame? Re-weld. Electronics died? Replace. etc

But it's not financially viable for most people, so they get scrapped/retired etc.
30,000 miles is not a lot. There was someone here with a 600F4i that did something like 300,000 miles on the original engine and only rebuilt once.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My dealership was shocked when I took my 07 with 24k miles in for service. They said most were totaled way before they got to that kind of mileage.

Ironically I totaled it in a crash about 1.4k miles later....go figure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My dealership was shocked when I took my 07 with 24k miles in for service. They said most were totaled way before they got to that kind of mileage.

Um what?
What kind of riders do you have living around you lol?

·
Registered
382 Posts

Plot twist - his shop is a Harley dealership, and the CBR was purchased on consignment.

Insurance companies total a bike with a scratch on the frame or swing arm if it was in an accident. I think your dealer is trying to tell you to commit insurance fraud.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Plot twist - his shop is a Harley dealership, and the CBR was purchased on consignment.

Insurance companies total a bike with a scratch on the frame or swing arm if it was in an accident. I think your dealer is trying to tell you to commit insurance fraud.

Haha nice one. It is a Honda only dealer and I purchased my CBR cash on Craigslist....man I miss that bike. It was fixable but would require most of the left hand side fairings to be replaced. Oh yeah and there was a scratch on the swing arm so you were right.

My advice: Don't ******* crash. If you do make sure you have proper gear ATGATT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts