Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The holes on 2003-2006 cbrs in between the seats. They look like ram air scoops. But I am not sure. Are they connected to anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL - you guys crack me up.

Those vents don't really do anything but look cool as far as I can tell. The do let air into the space under the rear seat/cowling and I suppose that helps keep the underseat exhaust from totally roasting anything back there.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
They are for keeping my iphone cool when i ride!

Or for soaking it in water if i get caught in rain
:crackup:

Put your important documents in a water proof bag!

·
Registered
103 Posts

Those vents don't really do anything but look cool as far as I can tell. The do let air into the space under the rear seat/cowling and I suppose that helps keep the underseat exhaust from totally roasting anything back there.
I'd agree with this. I cant remember where the regulator/rectifier is on the 600RRs, but I know my VFR has one mounted to the side of the subframe back there, and that thing gets hot. Might be venting for that too.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

you dont think it allows air into the tail to stop the undertail exhaust from cooking schtuff?

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the 03-04 models the rear brake reservoir sits behind the right side vent and you can actually see the level if you look into the vent. 05-06 models have the vents just for looks. The vents might be there on the 05-06 model because they wanted to make small changes. Also could be that some of the molds or dies were being reused and the vents stayed as a way of reducing costs.

I

·
0 Posts
On the 03-04 models the rear brake reservoir sits behind the right side vent and you can actually see the level if you look into the vent. 05-06 models have the vents just for looks. The vents might be there on the 05-06 model because they wanted to make small changes. Also could be that some of the molds or dies were being reused and the vents stayed as a way of reducing costs.
If you have a 03-04 the first thing you should do is remove that annoying brake reservoir from under the tail. It will make life a lot easier.

The vents are probably there to allow air to the tail to cool the exhaust like mentioned above but they do not connect to anything.

·
Registered
444 Posts
they act like reverse canards and force air down and make your bike lift off!! lol, i'm serious, only the bottom slot is open and it faces down!!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
all of these answers are wrong.

they're actually cowl induction vents, your bike would have a hard time keeping the back tire on the ground at high speeds without it, it works the same as spoilers do on high end cars, the force the air puts down through the vents applies downward pressure to help stabilize the motorcycle and keep it on two wheels with enough traction to keep you moving! without the cowl induction vents, you would lose about 40 mph off of your top end speed, and have about a 25 hp loss, and girls would like you less.
I don't have those stupid holes on my race tail and the girls still seem to like my bike :dontknow:

·
Registered
793 Posts
you dont think it allows air into the tail to stop the undertail exhaust from cooking schtuff?

Ummm...

The do let air into the space under the rear seat/cowling and I suppose that helps keep the underseat exhaust from totally roasting anything back there.
Except for my inevitable late night typo's I think that's what I said.

And mine added 20 HP so there... :crackup:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
i could be wrong cause i havent looked in a while but on the 03-04 isnt the right vent completely closed? and only the left one is open?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
i could be wrong cause i havent looked in a while but on the 03-04 isnt the right vent completely closed? and only the left one is open?

now we finally have some brains here, hahahaha,

yes the left side sitting on bike is closed, no air flows through there,

the other side is open only so you can see your rear brake res,

but they may have something with the fart dissipation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts