Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull out of my neighborhood I normally hit the gas and coast up to the stop sign in first gear. Well today I do that and get the worst chatter from the rear. It was so bad I couldn't see straight. At first I though tankslapper so I didn't hit the front brakes but then I realized the handlebars were fine. I've experienced the chatter before but it normally last about 1 or 2 seconds. This went on for 5-7 seconds which felt like enternity. I avoided the car in front of me and I thought of going into the grass because I didn't think I was going to stop in time. Well it stopped shaking just before the sign and I went beside the car. This was my scariest moment on the bike yet including when some cars pulled out in front of me. Would a slipper clutch prevent this? What caused it?

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How bad was yours?

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure it was still turning but it was making a clicking sound too. I'm pretty sure I went from accelerating to pressing the rear brake slightly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've had similar instances when I downshifted too hard, or locked up the rear, but it doesn't sound like you were doing either, so I'm stumped.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
It's because you don't have a slipper clutch. That happens on this type of clutch, reason why people upgrade to a slipper. You can avoid doing that and then it won't be a problem. Be kind to your first gear though, no need to wind that first gear up so much and then let off it in such a way.

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
James06CBR said:
It's because you don't have a slipper clutch. That happens on this type of clutch, reason why people upgrade to a slipper. You can avoid doing that and then it won't be a problem. Be kind to your first gear though, no need to wind that first gear up so much.
I might do a slipper clutch if funds permit when it's time for a clutch replacement. I don't really beat on it hard at all. It's kinda babied because I can't ride it close to it's potential and no real place to wind it out on the street. Slipper clutches are so expensive.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I know they are expensive, but I'm where you are with this. I'm gonna save up some money and throw one in there when it is time for a new clutch. Possibly by then they will come down a tad in price.

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
James06CBR said:
I know they are expensive, but I'm where you are with this. I'm gonna save up some money and throw one in there when it is time for a new clutch. Possibly by then they will come down a tad in price.
I sure hope so. My bike will probably be a track only bike in a few years so I will feel safer with one. My current clutch has over 13K miles on it now and still holding strong. If I keep getting stuck in this stupid construction traffic I think it will be going sooner than expected.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
You don't need a slipper. Us noobs get this all the time at the track when downshifting w/o blipping the throttle to match revs. The rear end bounces but the front brake still works so slowing down even more for the upcoming turn usually isnt a problem. It can be unnerving if your aren't used to it or expecting it.

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CollegeRider said:
You don't need a slipper. Us noobs get this all the time at the track when downshifting w/o blipping the throttle to match revs. The rear end bounces but the front brake still works so slowing down even more for the upcoming turn usually isnt a problem. It can be unnerving if your aren't used to it or expecting it.
You're not kidding. I always blip the throttle when down shifting but I was just letting off so I was totally confused.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
ls1, how low is your idle, if its abit low then chatter will come about more easy.... also hows ya chain no dry spots and good tension?

on the flip side its good practice, coz everybody locks their rear every now and then so its good to know the feeling,

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
raise your idle a TEENY bit to 1490 rather than the recommended 1300...this helped ease the "lurch" we get when chopping the throttle.

and also , i'd like to hear more about your chatter because when i read the original post, i didn't think you downshifted. you were on first gear all throughout?

i understand my wheels hop too when downshifting hard from 2nd to first gear but you weren't doing that.

for what it's worth, please don't be insulted but check to see if your rear wheel is locking up by itself, or see if your chain is slipping from the sprocket teeths.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Yes guys, but we all know the slipper clutch is better. There is nothing wrong with someone choosing that upgrade. And even after you know how to deal with it accordingly, one still would most likely choose the slipper over what we have if given the choice and money is no issue. I agree, best way around it is to get to know your bike for what it is and learn how to deal with it accordingly.

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gee said:
ls1, how low is your idle, if its abit low then chatter will come about more easy.... also hows ya chain no dry spots and good tension?

on the flip side its good practice, coz everybody locks their rear every now and then so its good to know the feeling,
I haven't messed with my idle but I will raise it a bit like said above. My chain is great as far as I know. I keep it super clean and well lubed. I'll check the tension and see how it is. The chain is pretty new. Not many miles on it.

·
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
charles722 said:
raise your idle a TEENY bit to 1490 rather than the recommended 1300...this helped ease the "lurch" we get when chopping the throttle.

and also , i'd like to hear more about your chatter because when i read the original post, i didn't think you downshifted. you were on first gear all throughout?

i understand my wheels hop too when downshifting hard from 2nd to first gear but you weren't doing that.

for what it's worth, please don't be insulted but check to see if your rear wheel is locking up by itself, or see if your chain is slipping from the sprocket teeths.
It's the same chatter I get when going from 2nd to 1st but it lasted way longer and much harder. I get the 2nd to 1st when coming in the neighborhood sometime but it's quick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts