Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.. i got the link from a local message board.. there are some good points that are made and some not so good.. but if you read all the threads, you'll find a lot of sport bike riders (which are cops) defending our love for the twisties and respect for the sport (gear/bike's power/riders ability/safety of others/etc.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think the original poster is a complete nimrod, but I can understand where most of them are coming from. it's a select few idiots on crotch rockets that pull wheelies down main street and others that run from the law that give everybody on two wheels a bad name.

I mean realistically speaking, if I was in law enforcement and had no experience riding a motorcycle and no intention of ever doing so, I would probably have similar views that the majority of law enforcement personnel have.

On the flip side, officers that cite tickets on mode of transportations versus type of offense are just plain ignorant.

·
Registered
757 Posts
ya def. good find +1 its nice to know what these bastards are thinkin well i take that back not all are bastards but the guy that post the vid. of a car smashin into a group of bikers statin that this is how u pull over stunters that was weak i mean for the most part i only stunt at the stunt spots way safer occasionally pop one up for a chick or to show a sports car that wants to race how slow they really are but for the most part i drive safe and i think alot of us on the site do too everyone has there moments i think this just shows how squids wreck our image. also check the cop that say i only pull over street bikes no harleys and u wonder why i run cuz ur a **** and u want to be a **** so thats why if i can i will split some cars and give u the finger. i know this is a perpetuating cycle oh well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
andyt said:
I think the original poster is a complete nimrod, but I can understand where most of them are coming from. it's a select few idiots on crotch rockets that pull wheelies down main street and others that run from the law that give everybody on two wheels a bad name.

I mean realistically speaking, if I was in law enforcement and had no experience riding a motorcycle and no intention of ever doing so, I would probably have similar views that the majority of law enforcement personnel have.

On the flip side, officers that cite tickets on mode of transportations versus type of offense are just plain ignorant.
I'll agree with you 100% on this one, and I'm from the same school of LEO as the original poster of this....

My take on it is this, if I catch someone doing wheelies in rush hour traffic at 60mph in a 45 mph zone, they'll most likely tote a ride for reckless driving. However, if I came upon a few people catching some wheelies in the middle of a deserted parking lot at 1 in the morning... it's a whole different story entirely... more of a 'hey guys, this isn't a place for that kind of thing, time to take it home' kinda deal....

I definetly don't agree with citing someone based solely upon what kind of bike they have... that's just plain ignorant... in fact 99.99921421% of bikes I stop, that actually stop for me, get a warning... it's just the way I am...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess I can't help but agree with a lot that that Officer had to say in his thread. Stunters, guys that flee, license plate location, etc. It's kind of true for everything - a few bad apples ruins it for the whole bunch. And I know a lot of ppl or sportbikers in general get frustrated with cops like this that think this way, but you can't really blame them in my opinion. There's just so many idiots out there that do stunt in heavy traffic at high rates of speed that are putting everyone else on the road at risk. If I was a cop and I pulled a guy over for doing a 60mph wheelie, I'd try slappin' everything on him that I could too so he doesn't do it again.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i read the whole thing. its actually nice to hear that most of the LEO's on that particular forum dont feel the same way.

I personally have had nothing but good experiences with LEO's on my bike. Got pulled over for running a stop sign that I didnt see, and he let me go. Me and a friend the other day were doing some canyon carving and came up on a LEO pretty quick. He thought about pulling us over, (he hit his brakes at a turnout and began to pull in), but didn't. He slowed, waved us by, and gave us the "no-no finger."

I dont stunt (primarily cause im too lazy to learn to, id rather race), ride with gear, and keep spirited riding off trafficed roads.

I guess we all know there are risks with our sport, and unfortunatly one of them is running into a cop like the thread starter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm...interesting topic here. And a unique position I find myself in. I am a Police Officer...and I have ridden sportbikes specifically for a long, long time.

Do I have anything against sportbikes in general...obviously not! Do I have problems with people pulling stand up wheelies in traffic? Absolutely.

I love pulling the occasional wheelie. There, I admit it! But there is a HUGE difference with picking up the front end on some back road where there are no other cars, kids, pedestrians, intersections and pulling a 12 o'clock while traveling at 90 on a populated roadway. Sure, it takes wicked skill, but there is a time and place for everything.

Let's face facts, who here has NOT known someone personally injured due to "stunting"? Heck, I learned back in 96 that it's not a good idea to get off balance with one wheel up while riding in fourth! lol Bang, crash, and me sitting there looking at the muscles in my forearm, sans skin.

I want it known that I do not cite people based on their mode of transportation- that's utter Bull @#$%, IMHO. However, I will cite a rider or driver who intentionally puts themself or the public in general at risk by driving or riding like an ass.

Personally, I find myself stopping the "stunters" and usually send them off with a warning. Probably because I also ride a similar bike...albeit without neon pink cow hide on the tank....lol

Funny thing is that, in my area, I get just as many "harley" riders acting like fools in traffic.....weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed while hanging on their inordinately long handlebars. And guess what? Their plates are displayed as well (or as bad) as any sport bike!

I do have one favor to ask of you guys. Officer.com is a place for LEO's to go to vent. Take those posts with a grain of salt. They have anonimity (sp?) there, and can speak their minds w/o getting a citizen complaint filed against them.

We (cops) need to vent sometimes. If not, we end up having one of our own go ballistic, giving the rest of us a bad name......kinda sounds like some riders I know, doesn't it?

Anyway, go out and ride knowing that not all cops hate sportbikes. And not all cops hate stunters.

And a word to the wise- if you are stopped, turn off your bike and take off your helmet. This is a gesture showing the copper that you don't intend to run. Be respectful, and if you screwed up- own up to it. It's amazing how showing a touch of respect for our job will do for us....usually in terms of a warning. And hey- if you are respectful and you end up with a ticket...please remember that the copper is doing his job, and trust me- it's a P.I.T.A. job 99.9% of the time.

Sorry for the rant. Ride safe. And just say no to shag carpet seats and cheetah lined gas tanks! lol

-SKI

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
skiandclimb said:
Hmmm...interesting topic here. And a unique position I find myself in. I am a Police Officer...and I have ridden sportbikes specifically for a long, long time.

Do I have anything against sportbikes in general...obviously not! Do I have problems with people pulling stand up wheelies in traffic? Absolutely.

I love pulling the occasional wheelie. There, I admit it! But there is a HUGE difference with picking up the front end on some back road where there are no other cars, kids, pedestrians, intersections and pulling a 12 o'clock while traveling at 90 on a populated roadway. Sure, it takes wicked skill, but there is a time and place for everything.

Let's face facts, who here has NOT known someone personally injured due to "stunting"? Heck, I learned back in 96 that it's not a good idea to get off balance with one wheel up while riding in fourth! lol Bang, crash, and me sitting there looking at the muscles in my forearm, sans skin.

I want it known that I do not cite people based on their mode of transportation- that's utter Bull @#$%, IMHO. However, I will cite a rider or driver who intentionally puts themself or the public in general at risk by driving or riding like an ass.

Personally, I find myself stopping the "stunters" and usually send them off with a warning. Probably because I also ride a similar bike...albeit without neon pink cow hide on the tank....lol

Funny thing is that, in my area, I get just as many "harley" riders acting like fools in traffic.....weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed while hanging on their inordinately long handlebars. And guess what? Their plates are displayed as well (or as bad) as any sport bike!

I do have one favor to ask of you guys. Officer.com is a place for LEO's to go to vent. Take those posts with a grain of salt. They have anonimity (sp?) there, and can speak their minds w/o getting a citizen complaint filed against them.

We (cops) need to vent sometimes. If not, we end up having one of our own go ballistic, giving the rest of us a bad name......kinda sounds like some riders I know, doesn't it?

Anyway, go out and ride knowing that not all cops hate sportbikes. And not all cops hate stunters.

And a word to the wise- if you are stopped, turn off your bike and take off your helmet. This is a gesture showing the copper that you don't intend to run. Be respectful, and if you screwed up- own up to it. It's amazing how showing a touch of respect for our job will do for us....usually in terms of a warning. And hey- if you are respectful and you end up with a ticket...please remember that the copper is doing his job, and trust me- it's a P.I.T.A. job 99.9% of the time.

Sorry for the rant. Ride safe. And just say no to shag carpet seats and cheetah lined gas tanks! lol

-SKI

Amen! A couple of months ago there was a guy and girl on an R1 flying down a 4 lane city street. A lady in an SUV underestimated their speed (of course) and turned in front of them. They hit the side of the SUV (Mercury Mountaineer) and went through the side window and rear window. They hit the SUV so hard it tipped it over on it's side. Both were dead. Point is, the public expects us to stop this kind of thing. We have to serve the public. The news has been going nuts the last couple of years w/ the stories. Bikes are getting very popular and it seems like every year there are more bikes on the streets and less capable riders mounting them. I, myself, don't mess w/ sportbikes b/c in my area and on the midnight shift, odds are they are going to run and it only takes 3 seconds to wreck out on a bike b/c they accelerate so fast. I have had it happen. Guy goes by w/ no helmet, I lit him up and he wrecked w/in 50 yards then ran to his buddy hopped on and was gone. Bike was stolen, it was a yellow rr too.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm just glad someone was there at our defense. Kind of sad to think I could get hassled by biased cops who judge me because I enjoy riding a sportbike, and fro no other reason. They need to wake up and get serious about their job.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I understand law enforcement's dislike for sportbikes because of the jackasses who run and ruin it for the rest of us, but for him to say we're all that way... the guy is an idiot.

Ive had a few cops Ive had to deal with that were complete pr*cks, but I dont run around saying that all cops are that way just because the few Ive dealt with were.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i know its their place to vent but it seems like some of the cops take their anger to work. i got a ticket doing 75 in a 60 and it was not casual speeding, i was trying to avoid a huge truck that was about to enter my lane, the cop said to take it up with the judge, i was speeding he was doing his job and thats fine, but what makes me really mad is one of my friends was in a wreck last week where his buddy t-boned a Benz, they were both drunk, his buddy didnt get a DUI or even a ticket for running a red light, WTF?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nicely said skiandclimb! I concur!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmr1 said:
I understand law enforcement's dislike for sportbikes because of the jackasses who run and ruin it for the rest of us, but for him to say we're all that way... the guy is an idiot.
i think the main reason they dont like sport bikes is on the road our machines are supirior to theirs, when they pull a car they hardly ever think that car would run, but a bike, i bet thats the first thing that crosses their mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I'm not mmistaken, that video was a commercial filmshoot or a music video maybe, hence the multiple camera angles. I know that at least one rider lost their life in that crash. Supposedly, the driver was drunk???

How drunk do you have to be not to see seven or eight bikes motoring down the road behind a truck with a camera mounted to the back of it?!?!?

Anywho, yeah- shi##y crash for sure.

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
2,160 Posts
that is why i love this website. there is so many members that one will always find something extreemly interesting to read. thanks!!!

Visitor Q said:
HOLY ****!

Did you guys see that video??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.break.com/index/3lanes.html

Jason
yeah ! that was a huge story here in San Diego... maybe because i live so close to Mexico. it was a mexican "chip n dale's" riding making a video shoot..... and POW!!!! hit like bowling pins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts