1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010, 6K miles, owned since new
mods relevant to fault?:
bazzaz Z-fi
HM GP QS (tapped into CKP and Speed sensor)
Alarm
K&N airfilter
Pair block off plates and removal

Having taken it to dyno tuner, they told me that my bike is running very poor and pretty much has no power above 11K. Personally I have always felt the bike felt a bit "gutless" above 11K, but put that down to a poor map done by the previous tuner. However the HM guys said no, this is not a mapping issue but an issue with the bike. They even tried adjusting the fuel map to see if it made things worse or better to no effect.

So rather than continue with the tune I told them to figure out the problem in the remaining time whcih they were more than happy to do.

What they tried:
1) Remove the bazzaz unit andcheck wiring- no change
2) Remove/disable alarm as it is wired to cut fuel pump- No change
3) Check secondary injectors for dirt and clean- Look and operate fine.
4) Remove QS- No change

At this point it was getting late and they had another bike booked in. I decided to leave and they sent me away with a couple of things to try out.

What would people suggest could cause this type of map? I have a couple of ideas and the dyno centre have agreed.

Before anyone criticises the dyno tuner, think again. I had HM racings owner, Steve Smith, working on my bike and getting ready to tune the bike so am fully confident in what they told me and what they did to fault find. They kept me up to date throughout, and didnt even charge me for all the labour and are still trouble shooting with me via email before I go back for a tune or for them to fault find themselves further.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its UK spec bike, which does not require the Zbomb. Running stock 09 ECU.

I did mention this to them and they said emissions restrictions did not affect UK bikes.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
The only thing I could think of would be an issue with the pulse generator. Make sure its well secured and properly aligned etc.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will check that out in the Service manual. Cheers Wibbly. (Although this is not what they suggested.)

Just received an email, they are trying to source a donor bike that they could swap parts off of to check which part is erroneous on my bike.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
I'm basing the fact that the power fluctuates up and down several times on a spark or timing issue. Air or fuel you would expect a smooth diminishing power curve, not choppy

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, the issue only occurs above say 10/11K RPM, and is reproducible. will not occur below this, only issue below this RPM was a very poor map, which they said they would fix once the top end is sorted.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Well if the fuel controller didn't change anything then fuel pressure would be the next suspect... But I wouldn't expect a curve like that on dropping fuel pressure.

Intermittent function of the secondaries maybe. It's tough to say really

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed Wibbly.

Had the guys at HM stumped. It's like a puzzle now for them I feel.

They are going down the lines of fuel starvation. I will be looking at my fuel pump at some point and checking it over and the strainer on it.

Thanks for your thoughts Wibbly. Much appreciated and if anything else pops up please do share.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do these have fuel filter fitted? if so then that could be worth changing, maybe a blockage or starvation to the upper injectors, is the air filter clean (higher revs need more air). Im no expert but just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do these have fuel filter fitted? if so then that could be worth changing, maybe a blockage or starvation to the upper injectors, is the air filter clean (higher revs need more air). Im no expert but just throwing ideas out there.
The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump unit and cannot be removed/replaced. There is however a fuel strainer that can be cleaned from the surface.

Air filter was cleaned and re-oiled 50 miles ago in preparation for the dyno.

Thanks

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Another thought af...

Clutch slip. Sounds stupid but id look into it.

Possible tire spin on the dyno? That should be obvious though

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clutch slip im sure its not. Also the mechanic took it for a ride and didnt mention it.

The fact it can be reproduced on the road means tyre slipping wouldnt be the cause?

Thanks wibbly

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Contrary to what the shop said I'm leaning towards the electrical end of things and thinking coils, pulse generator like Wibbly suggested or dare I say it ECU, though I personally think about 90% of the "ECU failures" on this forum are bunk and not actually failed ECUs.

It's just a thought as well but you said you oiled the air filter right before the tune, you're very sure you did it correctly using the right amount of oil as well? Not saying that's the cause but I've seen over saturated filters cause all sorts of running issues.

I'd personally visually look at vent hoses, fuel line and systems and your QS wiring because vibration (or something) could cause false triggering so maybe try to pull the power to that and see what happens. Make sure your fuel pressure is ok too, should be a port to check that.

Tuned in to hear what you find, interesting.

Mike

Reactions: AF600RR

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
a pulse generator?

what's that? fuel injection pulse?
It's what fires the spark plugs, or more accurately tells the coil on the plug to fire.

In the old days you had a distributer cap and rotor to fire your spark plugs, that is the modern equivalent of a rotor.

Mike

Reactions: AF600RR
1 - 20 of 30 Posts