Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know what kind of experiences you guys have had that have made you change the way you ride. Last night I was pulled over for the second time in a month. Lucky for me the cop was a nice guy and let me off with a warning. I've been riding on the street for two years now, the first year I did a lot of riding but took it easy to get the feel for the bike. But now that I'm so comfortable with the bike I've been having a hard time riding within the limits of the law.

So what I'm asking is for people to share their experiences that changed the way the ride on the street? Did it take going down or was there anything that made you change?

If you have never struggled with this then this thread doesn't apply to you. I'm asking for personal experiences not opinions on safe riding there are plenty of threads for that.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Burying 6 friends in a matter of 2.5 years did it for me.... plus a few close calls myself and watching a bunch of other people go down on group rides and whatnot. Got tired of watching people go down, having run in's with the popo at some point or another in the ride, etc. Hence the reason I don't do much of any group rides anymore and have become VERY picky on who I ride with. Also part of the reason I wanted to move out of south Florida.... moto fatalities are literally an almost every day thing down there more or less... got tired of meeting new people then a couple months later they were dead.... gets old pretty quick. Giving some good thought to the consequences of your actions, and running some accident scenarios through your head every once in awhile is usually pretty good idea to keep you in check

I was never an all out crazy nutjob of a rider, but have most definitely slowed down a lot since I first started riding. The first 2.5 years or so we used to go out every single sunday morning in the FL everglades and pretty much just run WOT the whole day, more or less. No way in hell I'd do that now.... I rarely go more than maybe 10 mph over the limit now and in an open area

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i speed, but never go more than 25 over....i usually keep it around 10-12mph over the limit. i've never had the ambition to see just how fast i can go. plus i've had couple close calls, couple run in with po-po's and the thoughts of crashing really really really doesn't appeal to me at all. Cagers hate us sport bike guys enough, so i try not to give them any more ammo to use against us.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
The question is why do you ride ? The answer to your question is within my question think it over you will catch my drift

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Giving some good thought to the consequences of your actions, and running some accident scenarios through your head every once in awhile is usually pretty good idea to keep you in check
That's what I've been doing a lot lately. I almost sold my bike after my last ticket but when the guy showed up I told him to leave and kept the bike. I love riding its definitely a part of me. I keep considering switching back to dirt or getting into mountain biking but I can't seem to give it up. I signed up for a track day October 5th in hopes that I can get the urges out then. If I can't I will be seriously considering replacing the rr with a dirt bike.

On a side note I'm pretty damn excited for my first track day!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
track day will help.

can you avoid riding the bike around town?

when I get on my bike I head it out to empty country roads and thenceforth get my ya-yas done with.

when i get back into town i am a "good boy".

I do not enjoy city riding, as there are too many "cell phone drunks" around.

plus tinted front windows on a lot of the vehicles out here prevent proper eye contact w/idiot drivers.......and they ARE idiots.....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Doing over 100 on a straight two lane road with a passenger. The road dipped down and since I was accelerating the bike pulled up like a power wheelie at 131mph when I hit 4th gear. I couldn't release the throttle and slam the front at 131 so I just held it steady and let it come back down gently. We got off right after (reached our destination) and I was shaking. She could have easily died if the bike wobbled a bit and we crashed when I dropped the front back down.

Since then I have been a pretty tame rider. My two accidents (which could have both killed me if I wasn't so lucky) had each made me a little more cautious, but endangering someone else's life was enough for me to start keeping it within 10mph of the speed limit with very few exceptions.

·
Registered
697 Posts
One of the big problems for me is if I cruise more than 10 over (say I hit 100+ even briefly) I get really paranoid about the cars coming up on me, constantly watching for cops. Then I have to make the whole cruise around 90mph (if it's highway) to keep moving past traffic so I can watch for a car that shows up behind me and take off if it is a cop.

The whole experience is much more dangerous and stressful than just riding within 10 of the speed limit and not attracting attention.

I know a lot of guys who casually cruise at about 110mph on the highway because 99% of the time police won't even pursue a bike going over 100. I don't really see stopping as an option because so many bikes run they won't chase you and can't catch you if they do. If you stop you may be the guy the cop takes all his anger towards motorcyclists out on- I have seen it before.

Anymore I just don't think it is worth the risk after too many close calls with accidents that could have happened and jail time/fines I can't risk.

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
I go to the track, I can go as fast as I want to get it out of my system and then if I need to get out I can and I don't have to twist the throttle so hard.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
I've been having problems with this as well. I've become really wreckless on the highway. I've had a close call on a curve because I speed up way too much coming out of it. In town driving not so much because of the traffic. It's just when I find myself crusing an empty road I twist that throttle.

I think I need to grow up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thankfully I've never had any close friend who have been killed as a result of riding, but I have certainly seen my fair share crashes. Earlier this summer I was riding with a group and one of the newer riders went down in a corner. Ended up going straight into a guard rail and slid another 20 feet. Seeing about 4 inches of his shin with rash down to the bone is what did it for me. Couldn't get that image out of my mind for a few weeks.

I think age and experience is another big factor - not necessarily for every rider, but certainly it has been for myself. I got my first street bike at 18, and the way I ride now is 100% different from the way I used to ride. The more I saw "avoidable" accidents happen the more it made me sit back and think about the way I was approaching riding.

I had a friend who quit riding this season after a close friend of his died on the road, and we had a very similar discussion when I found out he was selling his bike. Riding means something different to everyone. For some people its speed, for others its about the road and scenery, for others its just about getting to and from work. You've kind of got to ask yourself what you want from riding, and then approach it sensibly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Go to the track. After my two trackdays i didnt even want to ride the streets for fun anymore at all(its been about half a year and i have only been on 1 "fun" street ride). I save my money in tickets now and spend it on trackdays. I just turned 18, so if that does it for me, it will do it for you =). The track is also nice because every corner whether its 40mph-150mph is adrenaline pumping. Your first trackday you will want to probably sleep the entire next day also(at least what my friends and i did).

·
Registered
827 Posts
around the city i drive good, because there are too many sh!tty drivers being preoccupied with other things. I am far more alert, and i ride a lower gear. quite frankly, i completely disagree that people say loud exhaust dont help. ive read the studies and just disagree. I know there have definitely been times before ive had my bike, that i couldnt see the bike in a lane next to me, but heard them and decided to not lane change, to find out there really is a bike. The biggest thing for me is the risk is too much. And i LOOOOOOOOOVE going fast, so i usually check out the road first for potholes/cops/objects etc etc. But i do it down 2 lane, country roads. and i rarely do this. Due to my career choice, I can't take the risk of losing my license, or getting a felony of any sort. I am not going to let one bad decision because I wanted to have fun ruin my life. I am always paranoid there is a cop behind me, especially at night because it is so hard to tell with the mirrors

·
Registered
673 Posts
Crashing on the street because of various debris on the road, close calls with cars, being pulled over, and doing a lot of trackdays. My bike will probably stay a track bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts