Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys how much does a shop charge for pro-quality paint? Im looking into paining my baby to finally fix those small nicks and dings that are pissing me off... just a solid color is what i had in mind but if u have custom work let me know what you paid cuz im still open to suggestion..thx in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
i guess it depends on who and where you get it paint from, i've heard of members hear that had their whole bike painted for 300.....i went to a local shop here, and they wanted 300 just for the tank cover!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
The paint itself shouldn't cost more than $150-$200 unless you get something crazy....

Aside from that, it's whatever the painter is going to charge you, and tell you what the paint costs him... hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
there is more than just paint as far as cost...you have to remember sandpaper, primer, fillers and the list goes on... Depending on brand of paint and materials...it could be as much as $400 just for all of that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Do it yourself...



Someone was right though, everything you need to do the job adds up. We did three bikes at the same time so we could buy things in bulk like, primer, sandpaper, sealer, some paint, etc... Using a pretty sh*tty paint, taking our time and consolidating items, it still costs about $150 per bike. If I got good paint, it would've cost me that just for the paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
senecak19 said:
Do it yourself...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/senecak19/myspace photos/Day006c.jpg

Someone was right though, everything you need to do the job adds up. We did three bikes at the same time so we could buy things in bulk like, primer, sandpaper, sealer, some paint, etc... Using a pretty sh*tty paint, taking our time and consolidating items, it still costs about $150 per bike. If I got good paint, it would've cost me that just for the paint.


how hard is it to paint plastics ? whats the difference between plastic and metal ?
whats the right way to prep the surface ? paint mixing ? trick tips ? what equipment is needed (how many gallon compressor, what spraygun...etc...)?

i've alway wanted to learn how to do this but i don't know anybody that knows how to paint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
teg said:
how hard is it to paint plastics ? whats the difference between plastic and metal ?
whats the right way to prep the surface ? paint mixing ? trick tips ? what equipment is needed (how many gallon compressor, what spraygun...etc...)?

i've alway wanted to learn how to do this but i don't know anybody that knows how to paint
If your bikes the only thng you wanted painted in 1 or 2 single colors it will be way cheaper to have someone do it professionally.

The cost of things you need is going to add up faster than you can imagine

-lots of sandpaper, in lots of different grains
-a prep cleaner
-air compressor
-spray gun
-paint, primer, clear, basecoat yada yada
-adhesion promoter
-hardeners
-reducers
-mixing cups, sticks, strainers
-more sandpaper
-small buffing wheel
-regular buffing wheel
-buffing compounds
-and on and on and on

I painted my own bike:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
apbt600rr has it right. I too painted my own bike, but if you don't already have half the equipment kicking around, its going to cost you more to buy it then it will to get it painted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys:01_thumbu

Ill be checking with some shops soon but probly wont get it done anytime soon seeing how its FINALLY nice in the windy-raining-snowing-shitty-city i live in..

I wish i was somewhere tropical :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
apbt600rr said:
If your bikes the only thng you wanted painted in 1 or 2 single colors it will be way cheaper to have someone do it professionally.

The cost of things you need is going to add up faster than you can imagine

-lots of sandpaper, in lots of different grains
-a prep cleaner
-air compressor
-spray gun
-paint, primer, clear, basecoat yada yada
-adhesion promoter
-hardeners
-reducers
-mixing cups, sticks, strainers
-more sandpaper
-small buffing wheel
-regular buffing wheel
-buffing compounds
-and on and on and on

I painted my own bike:

damn bro, that is an awesome job,

kudos to you, young sir.
 

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
Joined
·
1,679 Posts
Chi-Rider said:
Thanks for the feedback guys:01_thumbu

Ill be checking with some shops soon but probly wont get it done anytime soon seeing how its FINALLY nice in the windy-raining-snowing-shitty-city i live in..

I wish i was somewhere tropical :banghead:

Yeah, until the $HIT hurricanes roll around! Trust me about three months out of the year I wish I was in Chicago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
RowskisRR said:
Yeah, until the $HIT hurricanes roll around! Trust me about three months out of the year I wish I was in Chicago.
Ya 12 months out of the year im completely content with sunny southern cali. No snow, not much rain, no hurricanes, no tornados....nothin...we get an earthquake every year or so but thats all... Snowboarding, surfing, dirtbike riding, skydiving-all an hour away...aahh gotta love so cal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Hassan'sRR said:
damn bro, that is an awesome job,

kudos to you, young sir.
Thanks :01_thumbu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
that bike looks tiight man!

i paint bikes too. like everyone said it'll be cheaper to have someone do it for you unless you're planning on painting as a side job.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top