Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's not exactly a trailer but I need to be able to haul my bike around and was thinking about this.

https://www.mototote.com/(nvuwauyobzfseeahnmh3dz45)/default.aspx?ProductID=44

Seems like it would be good and save me some money. I have a Dodge Durango with the following hitch

1998-2003 7,000-lb tow rating, 750-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment 2" opening, ...

Do you think I'll have any problems?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Email i got from them and the question i gave them below

"We do not know of a MOTO-TOTE carrier breaking or coming loose from the vehicle"

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Marvin Hankins

D&D Design, Inc.

www.mototote.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 8:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: i have another question

what if the mototote fail to do its job? exp, the whole assembly came off or joint broke? warranty is covered for one year and if for some reason the mototote fail...you will not cover the damages? only one year warranty makes a consumer more skeptical to invest on one, don't you think?

regards,

your concern consumer.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I really want to love this thing but something just wont let me.
1. If it fails, it will fail catasrophically. There will be no saving that bike.
2. On a smooth road maybe MAYBE it doesn't vibrate but over a road with any texture?? I dunno.
3. For that price you can have some different trailer setups. All steel trailers or folding trailers from Harbor Freight that will fit in your garage and take up no more than 3' of depth space.

I guess my practical skepticism just wont let me want this thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nothing over 300 lbs. I carry dual sports and dirt bikes and it does work very well. But I would never put my 600 in it. Your car and hitch are not likely rated for it either.

·
Registered
465 Posts
DON’T DO IT! :shock:

I hauled a dirt bike with something similar once and there are too many bad points to justify the use of such a thing.

Loading and securing the bike will be a pain. That sucker will flex all over the place when you drive over the slightest dip. I don’t think your stock shocks are designed to “safely” handle a load that far aft, plus if your rear-ended or have to swerve suddenly……good by bike.

For that price you can get a nice fold-up trailer at Home Depot that stows flat on your garage wall…..and still have change.

I don’t even feel comfortable hauling a 22 lb. Mountain Bike on the back. Yours constantly looking in the rear view mirror.

Just because it’s on the market….don’t mean it works!!!!!!!

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
you should see what the warranty on the rack is.. as in does it cover any damages to the bike if it breaks and wrecks the bike.. i used to work at a sporting goods store and we sold bicycle racks for vehicles,, and some of them came with lifetime warranties where if the rack broke while it was properly installed on the vehicle, the company would pay for any damages done to the vehicle as well as the bicycle...

check the warranty and make sure it covers the bike as well as the truck/car

L

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
At my last trackday there was a guy hauling his 04 Mille Factory with one of those things on his BMW X5. It seemed pretty sturdy but I wasn't really paying much attention to the hitch with that gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to build and weld together something similar to the Mototote but after finding out the tongue weight on my Discovery was only 500 lbs. I decided against it. I also had this reoccuring image in my head of my bike sliding and tumbling down the street if something broke. So I decided to order that $200 trailer from Harborfreight and it will be here Monday. It took about 2 weeks to get here but shipping was free so I can't complain. I think it's just a safer way to haul a bike.

Dave

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahhaha Travis thats a good Avatar! My only concern is registration. Since I am a Florida resident I would want to register the trailer in Florida. Im stationed in Cali so that's going to be a pain in the ass to get around.

Also, what do trailors with leaf supension offer? Are they usually more stable or about the same? In all the Cycle World mags they got some nice trailers but they are $1,700.00.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ST001ST002.html

Check out that rip-off

·
Registered
27 Posts
when i got the email from him i was totally stunt. "is that all he has got to say bout his product! Not convincing at all...imagine baby fall over like a rag doll. ohh no... :?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts