Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am still trying to get the funding for a bike but i am inlove with honda rr and the RC51

but my question is, what would be a good start bike? i was looking at a 2004 or 2005 600rr but maybe i should start on something older? newer? diffferent bike?

i plan to ride for a long long time on the first bike i get, because i want that to be the bike i upgrade from later on. i only want to go through 2 bikes. the bike i start with, and the bike i upgrade to.

so what is your recomendation?

·
Registered
907 Posts
get the rc51, then post your injury pics from the hospital.

·
Registered
912 Posts
apbt600rr said:
get the rc51, then post your injury pics from the hospital.

hahah. funny.

but really, don't get either. prolly not the best beginner bikes. SOme people say even the 600's are not good for learning. I dont really agree. I'd get something a little older, so i wount be too pissed when i dump it (it happens.)
Maybe an F4 or F4i.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
go out and buy or rent a ninja 250 to learn ... month or two at most. then get a 600rr. 600RR first bike = not the brightest idea.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well I Got A 600rr For My First Bike And I Love It. Been On It Since December And Im Glad I Got It. Just Be Careful And Ride Safe

O2

·
I've Got A Fever
1,478 Posts
Even though the RR might not be a good beginner bike, chances are you're not gonna die the first time you take a ride. Get the bike you want, take it easy, use your head, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The RR is a great bike. ANY bike can hurt you if you do not respect it ... It doesnt matter if it is a Ninja 250, or a CR80 ... You just have to ride safe, and know you limits. If you are just starting, I would also recommend taking the MSF course

http://www.msf-usa.org/

As far as what year 600RR: In 2005, Honda redesigned the RR to make it better, and they were successful. They fixed some flat spots in the mid-range, and they also inverted the forks to make it a smoother ride around the corners, (reduced wobble). The only difference between the 2005 bikes and the 2006 bikes is the color scheme, everything else remained the same.

I have an 05, and I love it. I can keep up with the liter bikes in the twisties, (with no trouble at all), and this bike is very "flickable" through the corners. I know that alot of people buy the 600 and within a year "trade-up" to the 1000, ... But for me ... I just dont see the need to do so. This little baby is my dream bike, so I am going to hang onto it for a long time to come.

Safe riding and happy shopping!!!!

PS ... this is a great book for the beginner AND the advanced rider!!!!

You can pick it up at any Barnes and Noble, or just order online $25.00.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=1893618072&itm=1

Also check out .... Twist of the Wrist I & II, by Keith Code. But to be completely honest ... I think that Sport Riding Techniques is a much better book.... For me, anyway.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
go out an d get a used 250 or 500 ninja to start out on and learn the basics, chances are you will drop your first bike.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Go for a used F4i or heavily used 03 RR if your going to get a 600cc. I think its something like 60% of riders lay their bike down in the first 6 monthes, so if you can't afford to lay down a new bike, it's probably not a good idea to get a new one.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
CollegeRider said:
Go for a used F4i or heavily used 03 RR if your going to get a 600cc. I think its something like 60% of riders lay their bike down in the first 6 monthes, so if you can't afford to lay down a new bike, it's probably not a good idea to get a new one.

probabilities show the most crashes actually happen in the 2nd year of riding. Thats about the time most riders get comfortable and feel they ride pretty well, only to find themselves in a precarious situation and they really cant handle it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
man i really wish people would stop recommending 600rr's for beginner bikes!! get something smaller man you will be alot happier from what u learn on that. sure your goin to want more power after awhile but that just gives you more time an practice to improve your skills.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
any bike that goes over 30 mph will potentially kill you. power wise the 600rr can be tame and smooth unless you really get on it. It's very predictable in corners and braking.
When it comes down to it there is no definate answer. For some starting on the cbr or any modern 600cc bike would be no problem, others should start smaller, and then there are those that should never step foot on a sport bike. It comes down to how much experience you have on 2 wheels and whether you have self control. You can ride a small cc bike for years and still not have the self control to get on a bike that does 150+ mph.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts