Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what everyone thinks a reasonable price is for a tire change and balance. Tell me what you think the prices should be for the following, and why.
Your comments and opinions will be valuable and taken into consideration so please take this seriously. Thanks. -eric

Tire change/mount & Balance - customer provides wheelsoff bike

Tire change/mount & balance - shop removes and installs wheels from customer bike.

Tube swap for dirtbike

ATV tire change

·
Registered
749 Posts
Prices range down here in San Diego from..

Off the bike- 25-60.

On the bike 60-85ish

as far as dirt bikes i don't know..

for me the prices i am willing to pay is

On the bike- 75 tops

Off the bike- 40 tops

·
Registered
385 Posts
Most places around here will do a change for ~$20 per wheel off the bike and ~$50 on the bike.

I have no experience getting tire changes for ATV's or dirtbikes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here in houston several shops do
off the bike - 10
on the bike - 35
free with tire purchase
Fair i would say
off the bike 15
on the bike 40

but maybe it is way to cheap in Houston

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are talking per wheel obviously, right?

Those proces in houston sound a bit too low. If that is what they are really charging then thats awesome. But that would never fly here in the northeast. Costs of operation are much higher here than in texas. I know that for a fact. My mom lives in houston and my company is based out of irving.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i think a shop here in San dog does it for 25 per wheel off the bike..

usually double on the bike..

but prices in the midwest are always cheaper than the southwest and the northeast...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Here in NorCal I've only come across:

Tires-mount&balance-wheel off the bike = $20-$40 per wheel

Tires-mount&balance-wheels on the bike = $40-$60 per wheel

and some shops charge the tire disposal tax...up to $3.00, I think.
My friend mounts and balances his own wheels on the multiple 2x4 setup, lol.
Don't know I'm willing to try that one. :tard:

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Eric,

I had a local guy do it for me @ $35 each wheel, with the wheels still on the bike. I somehow feel that I got the price because I ride with someone that is very good friends with the guy that runs the shop, and I mentioned his name when I called for the price.

The funny thing is, his shop is literally directly behind the Honda dealership that I bought my bike from, and Honda wants about $75 each wheel with them still on the bike.

I think you can't go wrong asking for $40-50 a wheel if they're already on the bike, and $20-30 a wheel with them off. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
Funny you should ask. I am getting my front tire done this evening and the highest price I was quoted was $75 for a tire NOT purchased at the shop and off the bike. I am going to pay $45 because I am bringing the rim with me and buying the tire there. Still a little higher than I want but I am getting a break on the tire so it evens out.

On my quad, because of the tire size and difficulty, I don't even bother getting the tire remounted. Most people don't. It is easier just to buy a set already mounted. I think it will cost you about $20 extra for the rim depending on the ATV.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
On my quad, because of the tire size and difficulty, I don't even bother getting the tire remounted. Most people don't. It is easier just to buy a set already mounted. I think it will cost you about $20 extra for the rim depending on the ATV.
Ya know I was just talking to my buddy the other day about that. That's crazy, but a cheap set of rims, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cycle Gear is...

$30.00 Street and Dirt Tires off the bike if the tire was purchased from somewhere else.
$20.00 Street Tire off the bike if tire was purchased from CG
$15.00 Dirt Tire off the bike if tire was purchased from CG
$15.00 For a tube change on a dirt or street tire

We also have to put a new valve stem in every tubeless street tire that does NOT have a metal stem.

I think those prices are pretty fair....

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
at my shop, it's flat rate season. so we charge exactly what the book says to.
on the bike is about $80 a tire.
off the bike is about $35 a tire.

flat rate means, if the book says it takes .8 hours to do, that's what you get charged for. even if it only took me 15 minutes to do it.

but then again, if it took me 2 hours... your still only charged for .8 hours.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure my pricing is in line with what everyone else is considering reasonable. I don't think anyone will have any complaints with me.

I have to go to dmv to renew my license (ugh) then I am going to try to get down to deleware (2.5 hrs) to go pick up my new tire machine. It just came in today. I got all the adapter clamps so I can handle atv tires as well as motorcycle and car tires. My static balancer will be here tomorrow. I got a nice unit that doubles as a truing stand. It also has arms on either side to check for rim and brake rotor run-out. Right now it is just visual (which works fine in most all cases) but I am getting a dial guage with a feeler for real accurate readings.

Someone mentioned tire disposal fees...thats pretty normal, called an enviromental disposal fee since the shop has to pay someone to come and take all the old tires away. Same goes for oil and oil filters. Some shops won't line item that on the invoice but instead wrap an extra $5 in to the labor price.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
I swore when I bought my bike the dealership said NJ has some tire tax or fee of $2 per tire now, and that wasn't for disposal, that was just for purchasing. But the disposal fee is usual as you mentioned.

How long before this state taxes you to take a sh*t on your own toilet man. :confused3

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yep... I mentiond cycle gear cause i work there and we charge 2.99 per tire for disposal. Most people just want to take their tire with them though rahter than pay the $3.00 but we have to charge it cause it costs for someone to come pick up the tires!

Which machine did you get if you dont mind me asking? We have all the adapters also so we can do ATV and fiddy tires... but let me tell you, fiddy tires are the biggest pain in the ass, along with low profile dirt tires(their sidewalls are hard as a rock, and it make it tough to put a tube in there when you cant bend the tire at all)

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
$25 off the bike @ a shop in this area; $15 off the bike @ a track day... Best I've seen it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts