Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a set of Kobalt tools? Has anyone used them before? Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I *think* they have a lifetime warranty on them, and you cant go wrong with that. As far as quality, they will be a great starter set if you dont have tools already. There quality is relatively good and fit and finish is great. I have a set of deep metric sockets and metric combo wrenches that are Kobalts and I like them. Although most of my tools are Snap-On and some Craftsman stuff, I am an aircraft mechanic so I have to have the good stuff but they are expensive$$$.

Like I said, if they are a first set, you wont be disappointed, and the price is good.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i have a 200 piece Kobalt set and i like them alot and BTW they are manufactured by Snap-On so its good quality without the crazy price tag and they have a no questions asked return policy so you really cant go wrong

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds to me like it's a Chinese line of Snap-on tools. Craftsman has done that before with some off-shoot brands (ie Gearwrench) which will also carry the lifetime warranty and I have friends who like those. I'd imagine that they will serve you fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Gearwrenches are the ****. the S..H...I..T. Get a set in metric and SAE. Wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
just depends what your using them for. i went to lowes a while back for a sale they had on their knock off tools, task force, to just have some kind of tools in case i need them. i used mine randomly for little stuff, but if your wanting them for quality and such, go craftsman or snap-on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if they are snap-on made and life time warrenty, then it just comes down to weather or not they are comfortable to use like the snapons

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
go for it.

obviously you are not a mechanic by trade, so using kobalt for working on your bike and tinkering around you'll be fine. I was a mechanic for about 16 years and i had 30,000+ in snap-on tools, i have since got out of the trade and sold eveything i had, i now have a decent size set of husky tools which do just fine.

remember, the tools dont make the mechanic fix the cars, the mechanic makes the tools fix the cars.

·
Registered
331 Posts
good ol craftsman has never steered me wrong. but hey, go jimmy go! or stewart, or martin, or max papis, ha ha i have to admit i like this max papis guy, he has the outlook that he is the luckiest guy ever to be racing nascar...oops did i just change the subject?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
go for it.

obviously you are not a mechanic by trade, so using kobalt for working on your bike and tinkering around you'll be fine. I was a mechanic for about 16 years and i had 30,000+ in snap-on tools, i have since got out of the trade and sold eveything i had, i now have a decent size set of husky tools which do just fine.

remember, the tools dont make the mechanic fix the cars, the mechanic makes the tools fix the cars.

Actually I am a mechanic by trade just for the Airforce. But they provide all tools which are all Snap on and Blue point. I would like to have the Snap on set but hey i work for the government we dont make that much. As far as Craftsman go i hate there wrenches there so boxy. Does anyone know where i could pick up some used snap on tools by chance?

·
Registered
142 Posts
craigslist, ebay, classifieds, etc. Just look around. What kind of wrenches are you referring to hating? Combo wrenches, etc? If so, like I said above, get Gearwrenches. Again, im a mechanic as well, Im a Field Service Rep for a jet engine repair station and have a set of the SAE size Gearwrenches from 1/4" to 1" and use the hell out of them. They are awesome, great finish and also have the warranty. Sockets: I use Snap-On as well as their ratchets. Thats all work stuff though. At home, its Craftsman and Kobalt. I actually like Kobalts ratchets better than Craftsmans. Its all about tooth count in the ratchet. My Snap-On ratchets have 80 tooth gears = smaller angle btw engagement and more surface area touching when under a load. My craftsman ones have like 30 teeth...biiiig difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts