Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I think we need to get rid of this website because my grades are really going to suffer! I have been looking for a bike for over a month now and finally might have found one. It's a really good deal but the only problem is that it has been down. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how bad you think the crash was and/ or what exactly happened to the bike. It looks to me like the frame is square just not the muffler? WHat do you think? Other than these two pics the bike is in pretty good condition. Also do you know if there is an easy way to square up the exhuast. Sorry for a paragraph of questions. Thanks Andrew
P.S. Notice the home depot screw?? lol
Rearofbike.jpg

enginecasescratch.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its hard to tell from the picture...the subframe could be tweaked but from the pic its difficult to determine.

BTW....I've seen exhausts, on bikes that had never been down and are not centered as you would typically expect them to be.

DD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DevilDog,
Thanks for the quick reply. What angle would make it easier to determine if it is tweaked? I have about 30 pics of the bike

·
Registered
171 Posts
unless its obviously tweaked/bent.....sometimes its hard to tell from pics if its only slightly bent. Usually you need the bike present to inspect thoroughly. Just remember, if the deal is super good.....and the rear subframe is in fact tweaked......a straight subframe can be acquired relatively cheap.....about $150 most of the time.

If your exhaust is out-of-alignment.....then you may only need to muscle it back to its proper position.

Either way......if the deal is really good.....the concerns above are not showstoppers.

DD

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
how'd he scrape the engine and not the fairings? did he replace the rashed fairings? it looks straight to me and that engine covers not bad at all, throw a carbon fiber cover on it if you have to... whats a good deal btw? how many miles?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys I will keep this in mind. I am planning on going to look at the bike sometime this week. I will make sure to double check the frame but I am pretty sure it is square here are some more pics of the bike...
motorcyle_pictures_001.jpg

motorcyle_pictures_009.jpg

motorcyle_pictures_014.jpg

motorcyle_pictures_016.jpg

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
how'd he scrape the engine and not the fairings? did he replace the rashed fairings? it looks straight to me and that engine covers not bad at all, throw a carbon fiber cover on it if you have to... whats a good deal btw? how many miles?
It can happen. It happened to mine. Same side. Same engine scratches. Same very little fairing damage. You can see some scrapes.

It looks like the bike is fine. The exhaust might need some adjusting, probably just mounted wrong. I agree with others about the subframe. It's a little work to replace it, but if you're mechanically inclined, it's not a big deal.

Not expensive at all. Scour e-ghey for a while and you'll find one for under $150. I did. But I don't think it's that bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree with everyone on this. it looks like it just fell over before he installed the frame sliders. i have seen a ton of CBR's with the exhaust off center its just the way they were mounted, my Jardine is off center by about 1/4".

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
Is it an 05 or 06? Mileage ain't bad. Never go by the exhaust being straight either. Lots of race cans are crooked when mounted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok yeah I found a bunch of subframes on ebay between 150 and 180. So you guys do or don't think the subframe is tweaked? I know you all said it is hard to tell in pictures but some of your answers sounded like you thought the subframe was bent. I wouldn't bug you guys about it if the bike wasn't so far away. I plan on flying up to look at it and then driving it back but I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I blow money on a plane ticket and then decide the bike isn't as good as I thought. Thanks again guys I am going to try and attach a video but I don't know if it will work. He said it is smoky cause it is 10 degrees outside. NM couldn't get the video uploaded.

K

·
0 Posts
Is it an 05 or 06? Mileage ain't bad. Never go by the exhaust being straight either. Lots of race cans are crooked when mounted.
2003 or 2004.

look at the forks.

It's just the exhaust. i'm sure the Sub is fine. the bike looks like it was gently laid over.

K

·
0 Posts
It is actually an 03. So really good mileage for being so old!
a 2003 eh? Ask how they rode it around town, how often it saw the highway and at what RPMs they rode at in each situation. i'd hate for you to get a bike and come to find out you need a new battery and Reg/Rec because the PO was an idiot. I'm trying to save you $400

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think its bent/tweaked....from the pics anyway.

DD
Ok great!! Hopefully the bike will have a new owner within the week!!! Thanks devildog and every for helping me decide. It really helped with the decision process. Look forward to letting you all know how it went!!
Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a 2003 eh? Ask how they rode it around town, how often it saw the highway and at what RPMs they rode at in each situation. i'd hate for you to get a bike and come to find out you need a new battery and Reg/Rec because the PO was an idiot. I'm trying to save you $400
Hey Knightslugger,
Sorry but Im a newb. What is the Reg/Rec and PO. Where is it on the bike. I know scary right? About to buy a bike and don't even know what the Reg/Rec means. Thank god for this forum!

K

·
0 Posts
Reg/Rec means Regulator/Rectifier Module. it converts the AC 3 Phase energy produced by the generator (stator) to DC voltage, and the Regulator regulates the Voltage to less than 14 VDC.

PO = Previous owner.

You'll find the R/R (also stands for Regulator/Rectifier) in plain site on the left side of the bike, under the mid panel (the one with the huge hole that you can see the fan in). doesn't matter right now though, i know you have a bad design R/R. you'll need to get that replaced if you plan on riding at high engine RPM at low speed. i'm talking 30 mph in 3rd gear. that's too high. even 4th gear @ 30 is kinda boarder line. if you'd like me to explain more in detail about the problem with the R/R i'd be more than happy to. it gets a little in depth, but it's far better (and cheaper, since you could get the seller to take it off the sale price) to replace it now than later when you find out there's a big problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts