Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place, if not, I apologize.

I'm new to the world of motorcycles, I just finished my MSF course and got my license and I'm looking for my first bike. I don't want to get screwed, so I figured I'd come here and ask the experts as I'm assuming that you all know a great deal more than I do about all of this.

I'm looking for a CBR 600RR (duh), I don't care what year, but I figured something a few years older would offer me a better deal. I'm not looking at new bikes, too expensive and being that this will be my first bike, I don't feel it's necessary to go after something brand new.

I've looked at cycletrader.com and a few websites at local dealerships and the price ranges on bikes are huge and that has left me more than a little confused. I've seen bikes with a few thousand miles on them and the same year with no modifications selling for more than a $3,000 difference. I understand the workings of a free market economy and that anyone can ask any price for anything, but I just don't know what's a good benchmark.

So if I'm looking for a CBR 600RR between 2003 and 2005 model year, with no mods (or slightly modified...I don't really care, I just don't want a huge amount of high performance mods on my first bike)...what should I expect to pay?

Also, I'm familiar with the art of negotiating on the price of a car, but having never bought a bike before, I don't know where to start from as far as trying to talk them down. I'm not paying sticker price for a bike, I know that, but I'm not sure what's reasonable to ask someone to take their price down to.

One more question, sorry for making this so long and wordy...private seller or used from a dealership, or is there no difference? I just don't know exactly who to trust.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i bought my 05 slightly rashed with 1000 miles for 5600.00 he wanted 6200.00

·
Registered
142 Posts
My recommendation would be to look elsewhere for a first bike. I am of the school of thought that you should start out small and work your way up to a 600, let alone a 600 supersport motorcycle. Most people drop thier first bike learning the physics of riding so its best to have a beater bike that you can lay down and laugh it off rather than crying back to the dealer for hundreds of dollars in parts.(I'm not salty either, im only 22)
As far as private vs. commercial, both have thier pros and cons. Private WILL be cheaper but you accept more risk. In order to minimize the risk of buying a lemon, or someone taking full advantage of you, READ up! The website below is a used motorcycle evalutation guide that will help you determine a fair price for a used bike. I have read like like 5 times top to bottom and see something i missed everytime. There is so much there to take in.
Dealerships will often offer a warranty on the bike, or better, a nice discount on gear to go with your new ride. The choice is up to you, but most people buy private for good reason. Just don't be the sucker, knowledge is power.
Good Luck!

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the tips. That link you provided is awesome, a lot of great information in there.

I've heard before that a 600 isn't a good place to start. Where should I start? Is 250 too small? Is there anything in between? Can I get a bike like the 600rr that's not a 600? Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Im glad to hear your open for suggestion a better bike to start riding on. As you can see, I started on a ninja 250 which for me was great. I was still in college, so it fit the wallet, and it has enough power to not get old too quickly. I put about 3500 miles on it in a summer, and suprisingly, never wrecked or dropped it. I have only ridden and F4I and an 1100 shadow but in my limited experience, I would say the ninja rides just as well as any of those bikes, as far a new rider is concerned. The 250 is a great starter bike, but I have heard the ninja 500 is also a forgiving bike that has more riding evelope to discover with the larger engine. If your are fixated on a 600 class bike, the most tame one I could suggest would be the suzuki Katana 600. I have never ridden it but have heard good things about it. Also the Buell blast has been mentioned more than once(also never ridden). Take a look at some of those. The ninjas I think have the best value for money ratio. Not only that, but they are easy to find and maintain their resale value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not at all fixated on a CBR, I'd just really like one haha. I really like most all of Honda's bikes, so I was hoping to stick with them when the time comes to buy something. Does Honda make now or have they made in the recent past a 250 sport bike that would be worth checking out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats one downside to honda....To my knowledge, they do not have a 250 class sport bike. To be frank, I wouldn't even classify the ninja 250 as "sport" except for the limited plastics and dual cylinder inline engine. However unlike its V style counterparts, it does rev high and will put out the power if you get on the throttle hard enough. The bikes I listed are considered sport bikes, there may be others I am not aware of. I, unlike you, am fixated on a cbr600r. I will wait for the right one, but to start on, the kawi was a great bike. Extremely reliable and the most economical. If you can't be swayed from honda, I would recommend and older Honda CB class bike, like the CB 750 or CB 600. (not sure if they made a 500 version) Its an inline 4, but it carburated and will be more forgiving on the throttle response. Also cheap to purchase. Keep researching!

·
Registered
702 Posts
+1 for starting small.

No reason to get in a hurry with these things: your life is in your hands.

Plus ask anyone: people who start small learn to be better riders, faster.

No matter what bike you get, it will be a lot faster (and feel a helluva lot faster) than any car you've ever driven. Even the Ninja 250 will put most cars to shame off the line, if ridden well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just bought my 05 RR two days ago and paid 5 flat. That came with extra tires, a rear spool stand, and a full Jardine Exhaust System. The guy was in a bind and needed to sell quick but its just proof that if you look good enough you will find a deal. And what i did was just call people, even if thier bike was out of my price range and offer them what i wanted to pay. If they didnt like it i just left them my number incase they changed thier minds. I got quite a few calls willing to reconsider thier price. And everyone that says a 600 is too much for a begginer is wrong. As long as you have self control and dont try to pin it and take it easy for a WHILE, not the first ten minutes, and practice safe riding you will be ok. If you buy a 250 there is a chance that the resale wont be as good and youll lose money. Plus youll get super bored with it after the first week and people with a ******* astrovan are passing you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dont worry about the resale, buy the 600, know your limits. If you buy a bike for its resale you really didnt want it anyhow. Buy a bike, and run it till it barfs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I have to work today, but I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to hit the local Honda and Kawasaki dealerships and check out the Kawasaki 250R and the CBR 600RR. I've never ridden either of them, so I'd like to check them both out before I make any kind of decision on which bike to buy. Cycletrader.com seems to be littered with both the 250R and the 600RR, so I don't imagine I'll have much trouble finding a deal on either on of them.

The 250R makes me kind of nervous because I rode a 250cc bike when I took my MSF course and the bike felt really slow. That being said, I don't plan on killing myself on this or any other bike. Motorcycles scare me just enough that I won't be doing anything stupid on them. However, is a 250cc going to give me enough power to ride on the interstate (which I plan on doing frequently as I will be using this bike to commute.) Will I have the power to safely pass?

I'm not buying a bike for the resale value, but I know I need something good to learn on, and that 250 seems to be the way a lot of people go. It gets points for being considerably cheaper than the 600RR too, haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I weigh 170 lbs and I was able to do 100 mph indicated(about 90 ground speed) when i had the throttle wide open on my 250. It does rev the bike pretty high to do this(about 12k) I think if I started on the ninja 500, I would have kept my first bike longer. I would imagine the 500 to be as forgiving as the 250 but better performance. scuttlebut says it can do about 130 I think. The rebel 250 cruiser bikes at the MSF are not as quick as the ninja 250 either, so don't let that turn you away. Once you test ride a "sport" 250, you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I dont know about you but running the guts out of the engine doesnt sound like my cup of tea. Just like i would never buy an import car some ricer kid owned.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your right, running the balls out of the motor is never good for it. However most of my riding was local, i rarely rode on the highway. Although for someone who plans to, the 500 should suit well. I dont think I would go smaller than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why doesn't Honda make a 500cc sport bike? That really sucks, haha. I guess I'll add the ninja 500R to my list of bikes that I'm considering, although I'd still really like to stick with Honda if possible. Although that Ninja 500R looks really nice. I think I'd rather stay away from a 250 just based on the amount of highway riding I'll be doing.

Any other suggestions from anyone? You've all been more than helpful through all of this. Thanks everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts