Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2003 and 2005 honda cbr 600RRs? I am thinking about getting a bike I have the choice of getting a mint condition 2003 for $4000 or a dropped 2005 (fairings are done for But im new to bikes and dont know what else may be bad)for $3500. Both have the same miles at 14k (Cant really afford over $4k) Could you guys list the differences and suggest which you would get and why? Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fairings, I think the FI system is a little better on the 05. Thats it. I'd get the minty one if your not mechanically inclined. Dropped bikes can have alot of hidden problems. I'd say go with the nicer one, you wont regret it. Also i forgot the fork set up is different.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an '03 with about 30K on it. Never had any problems. Just make sure you maintain it properly. I don't think you will notice the difference between the two even if you rode them.

+1 Bump on not buying a crashed bike. Unless you are very confident in examining a bike to determine how bad the crash was I would avoid it.

My best bike purchases have been on stolen, salvaged title bikes. No one wants them because of the Salvage title, and everyone is afraid of how hard a stolen bike was ridden. I am sure it was ridden just as hard as any other bike and if it hasn't been laid down, it is a "steal", much pun intended. Costs la ittle more because you have to have a safety inspection before registering, but that isn't that Bad. I got an F4I when they first came out with 3K miles for $2,200. I rode it until about 25K until I sold it to someone for the same price I bought it.

Good luck on your decision. I say get the '03.

·
I AM The Righty
2,380 Posts
weight, gearing, forks, etc.
there are many differences but you should get the 2005 if you have the coin to pay for whatever repairs are needed.
if your budget is $4k, get the 2003

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Fairings, I think the FI system is a little better on the 05. Thats it. I'd get the minty one if your not mechanically inclined. Dropped bikes can have alot of hidden problems. I'd say go with the nicer one, you wont regret it. Also i forgot the fork set up is different.
not entirely it. the suspension on the 05-06 model uses the 'inverted fork' design as well as having a redesigned rear shock.

It is unfortunate but you have to be weary of buying used bikes, even if the buyer tells you the bike in mint. I would recommend taking a friend that has experience with bikes so he can take a look at the bike for possible signs that it has been rebuilt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
agreed, got my bike, the dude said it was knocked over in a parking lot.

Once i become bike savvy i find signs that this thing has been trashed. lots of things held on my zipties, lots of hidden rash, the tipper should have been a wielded fairing stay and rash on top the brake res. Nothing i couldn't fix.

·
Registered
639 Posts
rash on top the brake res.
oooo, flipped it, not a good sign.

I had the same problem with my bike, "fresh paint" really means "I wrecked it" They lost some of the bolts for the fairings so they took them off other parts of the bike, when every i would take something off i would find a bolt was missing from somewhere, kind of annoying and a little sketchy. makes you not trust your bike.

I would say go with the '03

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the imput so far. The 05 I was talking about is only damage on the right side. He said he had it checked after the slide, but Im not sure if he has proof yet. I will definately ask. From what I saw (and I am a noob) I saw some rash..very little.. on the swing arm more like little scratches no nicks or chunks and the tank had rash (was not dented) Is this ok?? It also comes with a yoshima slip on. The bike is spotless on the other side. Really I am looking for a nice bike (which is why I want a honda 600rr) that I wont have to fix but replacing fairings is ok to me. I just want it to be mechanically sound. He started it up and it sounded like butter from low to high revs. I am not racing or anything, this will be my first bike, I have ridden a street about 6 times on buddies' bikes. What are some things I should look for since it has been layed down (low-moderate speed) Sorry for the long read
Thanks

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I would look around a little more. I just bought a 2003 with 4300 actual miles on it in mint condition for 3000 (a bank repo) but I looked for a while.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The '05 would normally be my choice, due to several upgrades as mentioned already but from the condition you describe the '03 may be a better choice. Of course you could keep looking and probably find an '05 in better condition.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive been looking for about a month now. But I can only afford a bike up to $4k . If you guys know anyone interested let me know! I am in Los Angeles, Ca and and willing to drive 200 mi or perhaps a bit more. Plus If the rider is further maybe meet half way.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ryan....
Might be hard, but just wait a little dude. Your deal will come, you'll find a rad bike at an even better price.
I looked for quite a while too before coming across mine, and got the deal of a lifetime

An '03s at least (2) years older than an '05.........:toothy4:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Is an 05 really THAT much better?
For your first bike.......... no....... the 03/04 and the 05/06 are both gonna fly. Get the one that's in better shape. If the 03 is cheaper and in better shape, that will just leave you extra money for gear, insurance or maybe some mods a little later down the road! :01_thumbu

·
Registered
374 Posts
You honestly won't notice the difference. Get the 03'.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i own an 04 (same as 03) and i've spent time at speed with my friend's '05, so i think i'm at least qualified to make a judgement. yes, people will tell you the 05 is way better bla bla bla, inverted forks, FI this and that, bla bla bla..... all things that make minimal difference in actuality, unless you're at a blistering AMA supersport pace (which you're not and won't be for some time as a newb). IMO, people underestimate how good of a bike the 03-04 was when they have an 05. for a FIRST BIKE, i'd say an 03 is a more than suitable bike to get you started and even a great bike to learn advanced riding skills on. i say go with the 03. better price, better condition- no brainer. the 03-04 is plenty capable, especially when properly set up, believe me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
revised front and rear cowl, weight savings, (03-04 were porks) inverted forks, FI slightly tweaked, i can remember if the brakes were revamped too. im pretty sure they were. and a slight increase in power making more mid range with a hint of a boost in the high end.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm pretty sure the main differences were the radial brakes and the USD forks on the 2005. There were a few other minor differences that were already mentioned (lighter weight, more midrange, etc.). If this is your first bike, you won't notice a difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts