Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guess is when a MGP champion (former or current) goes down, he gets up immediately and tries continuing to race.
When an AMA champion (former or current) goes down, he stays down and the red flag goes up and he rejoins the race..

Sigh!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
thats retarded, I was there
Ben took a massive hit in the balls by the bike. He was still walkin funny the next day. The red flag was out almost immediately anyway.

red flag didn't have much to do with Ben, that area of the track is surrounded by concrete walls about 20ft on each side of the track, there is no way to get the bike out of impact zone without rolling a crash truck. He could have jumped up and started doing jumpin jacks and they still would have had to bring out the red flag. The WERA endurance race at Road A was red flagged 5 times before they decided to call it complete and WERA will defininitely do anything to not red flag an endurance race

Sorry to burst your bubble (again) but thats just part of racing at Road Atlanta

what was that about MotoGP? I remember a few of Rossi's crashes where he just stood up in the gravel trap and walked in circles a few times before trying to pick the bike up and get back in the race when he wasn't injured.

it doesn't matter what championship you've won getting hit in the balls that hard will send anybody to the ground.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
as much as i think ChemiKaze's off base i will say that i do not believe that a racer at any level that actually causes a red flag should be allowed to resume in the race. You crash and cause a red flag, you are done for the race

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lots of articles/shows are saying Spies did stay there on purpose to get a red flag....I am undecided on it, but regardless, I think Spies is a dink anyway.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
what i think is retard is that a corner was running around the bike and ben clapping his hands yet the only flag being waved was the red one in the booth area but nothing around the crash.. instead the guy is clapping his hands pointing riders away from the crash.. that is stupid.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
as much as i think ChemiKaze's off base i will say that i do not believe that a racer at any level that actually causes a red flag should be allowed to resume in the race. You crash and cause a red flag, you are done for the race

I definitely agree with that, they need to change that rule

as for what the cornerworker did, it was the best thing in that section. Its downhill after cresting the top at the "new chicane" and its very one line with limited view. Its hard to see flags in that area anyway just because they're not right in your view and your focused on getting the esses right. Had that cornerworker not been there I would not have been suprised if another rider ran right over ben and/or his bike.

I personally don't believe he stayed there to bring out a red, he didn't have to for one, it was already out before he would have had time to think about it for one, and also I don't think Ben Spies is stupid enough to lay in the track on the racing line in that section even after the red flag is out because thats the kind of place you can get run over in a hurry

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
they don't have roaming flagmen, they stay in the booths (its hard to carry around 20 flags)

·
Registered
37 Posts
+1

It looked like Spies putting on an act to me, but it sounds like it would have been red flagged regardless. It isn't the first time this has happened this season, Mladin did it in Utah also.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well it sounds as though he didnt stay there to cause a red but I'd like to think he did cause I dont like him.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I don't know... It seems to happen to Spies a lot, if he crashes, inevitably, he's down for a while, red flag comes out, he remounts and he's a "tremendous champion". I watched the video over and over; he hits the deck, looks to be getting up, but then thinks otherwise. Goes down, first grabs his arm, then grabs his nuts. I would've never had thought it had he not tried to get up. Then, shaking his arm a bit, the announcer asks his crew chief what happened. His answer, "Racked his nuts" (paraphrase), but no mention of the arm. Spies is a good actor. Him and Vlade Divac should get together and create an acting troop.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
how many red flags during a race has Spies caused?

define "a lot"

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah, I never thought I would dislike someone more than I dislike Mat Mladin, but good ole Benny came along and prooved me wrong.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea... perhaps being a Yoshi rider makes you a **** actor...
Mat and Ben seem to be actors on track...
There was a controversy in the world 125 race as well when Luthi crashed and the KTM guys filed an appeal that if you caused a red, you should not be allowed to score any points...
Forget about dropping back to the grid, you are not allowed to score points period... this dropping back rule seems to reward aggressive riding..

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
what is it ya'll dislike so much?

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
How about as Ben was making a charge up from the back of the pack after the red flag, he managed to put himself in a place, squeezing Jamie Hacking to the outside, but wait... who's on the outside of Hacking? Tommy Hayden. So basically, what I thought was a crap move was Ben Spies inserting his bike in a place where someone already was, causing another rider to crash. Hacking had no where to go. I don't blame Hacking, I blame Spies. So, what? So he can rack his nuts and say he got second? What a great champion!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ exactly.. now Ben came from the CMRA ranks and while it is nice to have a great rider from this part of the woods, the rules is obviously not a good one...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I dont mind so much his riding as his attitude, since he started winning a few AMA races he has become arrogant and likes to blame the bike/setup when he doesnt win.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
I dont mind so much his riding as his attitude, since he started winning a few AMA races he has become arrogant and likes to blame the bike/setup when he doesnt win.
I am with you. At 1st I wanted him to dethrone Mladin, but now that he has I think he has become an arrogant prick

1 - 20 of 48 Posts