Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow 600rr owners!

New here with my recently purchased 2009 Honda Cbr600rr (50k km - I know it’s high). After riding it a few weeks now it just started to have an high idle, typically it would idle around 1200 but now it’s idling at 2100. The only thing that I noticed is during the prime stage when I turn on the bike, I’m hearing this loud whining noise that doesn’t stop until I turn it back off and on. When this symptom happens the bike won’t drop below 2100 after it’s warm?

The only thing I was able to find online were two things but wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same symptoms with this loud whining noise during the prime stage?

1. Clean/replace IACV
2. Replace MAP sensor
3. Replace fuel pump

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
2009 w/ 50k+ miles here, sounds as if your fuel pump primes and doesn't shut off....does bike run normally?

also, the pump sounds distressed, mine is very quiet and stops after about 5 seconds.

No MIL light/code?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey fellow 600rr owners!

New here with my recently purchased 2009 Honda Cbr600rr (50k km - I know it’s high). After riding it a few weeks now it just started to have an high idle, typically it would idle around 1200 but now it’s idling at 2100. The only thing that I noticed is during the prime stage when I turn on the bike, I’m hearing this loud whining noise that doesn’t stop until I turn it back off and on. When this symptom happens the bike won’t drop below 2100 after it’s warm?

The only thing I was able to find online were two things but wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same symptoms with this loud whining noise during the prime stage?

1. Clean/replace IACV
2. Replace MAP sensor
3. Replace fuel pump

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like your fuel pump is very sick and probably not coming up to pressure, which probably accounts for the high idle from running lean. Time for a new one! 2009 cbr600 fuel pump | eBay Also make sure the pickup filter is clean .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump is the likely culprit. Try disconnecting it or pulling the fuse it runs of. If the noise stops you’ve got your answer.

2nd guess would be the fan but I’d say fuel pump is more likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I pulled the fuel pump relay and it was still making that demonic sound.. it sounds like it’s almost just underneath the cluster, any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news!

I was able to determine that noise was coming from the Tripage dual low beam bulbs (bulbs have a built-in motor/fan). The idle was from me consistently priming the engine while trying to diagnose the problem, after about an hour of riding and restarting my bike it started to idle back to normal (1200-1400).

Working with Tripage right now to see if I can fix this motor/fan sound coming from the bulbs.

Thanks everyone for their input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts