Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The worst part is I have no idea when this happened. I can't imagine I bought it this way, but I could not explain when else damage like this would have happened...

Is it a structural component?
Am I going to have to replace the whole front end just for this one piece?
Looking at the second picture, why does the unbroken piece above it look ragged? Is the interface between the two glued, or is this actually broken away?

Thanks for the help, this is pretty depressing.
Also, any tips to actually get to and remove this piece would be nice (still can't even find the steps to remove the entire front).

·
Registered
363 Posts
You good sir are a victim of a broken fairing stay. You are going to have to remove the hole nose to replace it. Have fun. Download the service manual, should be able to find it with a brief search. Good luck!

Set down a wheelie really hard recently, or have any fat chicks sit on your nose? Maybe someone backed into the bike? There's a myriad of reasons why it happened. From your lack of knowledge about the front I take it you didn't gut the intake like some have, but did the previous owner (if not bought new)?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
You good sir are a victim of a broken fairing stay. You are going to have to remove the hole nose to replace it. Have fun. Download the service manual, should be able to find it with a brief search. Good luck!

Set down a wheelie really hard recently, or have any fat chicks sit on your nose? Maybe someone backed into the bike? There's a myriad of reasons why it happened. From your lack of knowledge about the front I take it you didn't gut the intake like some have, but did the previous owner (if not bought new)?
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The previous owner didn't do anything, and I don't do wheelies...
Could a hard bump have done it?

Again, I'm not ruling out that I didn't buy it that way... but I feel like I should have noticed it earlier!
Previous owner dropped it twice, I dropped it once, but all three were at a standstill and none were bad enough to break mirrors/signals (but I did have to replace his cracked lower fairing). Maybe I just didn't see it earlier, and he didn't bother to point it out to me. It is conveniently hidden behind all the cables.

Is this common for non-wheeliers?

Also, is this piece really integral to the motorcycle? Is it okay cracked, or would a glued-back fairing stay be such a bad idea?

There appear to be a lot of aftermarket ones on Ebay for $45... I'd be okay with cheap China part if this isn't that important of an item, but the plastic seems so thick I wonder if it is.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
plastic weld it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also found a used one for $30, might just do that...
I'll probably wait until winter to do it, too, if it's as hard as it sounds like it will be.

·
Registered
188 Posts
it's a fairly common problem it seems.. the fairing stay is about $100 new, you can find used ones on ebay but from your picture it doesn't look bad at all. i'd take it off and just jb weld it. it's not structurally that important, its main purpose is to hold the mirrors and headlights in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts