Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what yall's reasons were for choosing your 600rr over the r6. anybody ride or own both? What were the strengths and weaknesses you noticed in both bikes?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just the fact that the 600rr is a honda and the r6 is a yamaha

I've owned yami's in the past, and have had serious problems with engine seals leaking and 2nd gear hoping out under hard accelleration. This wasn't just my bikes either, seems to be an ongoing theme with yamaha from the research I've done.

I don't know if they've gotten any better as of lately, but that kind of stuff will always stick with a guy.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have an 05 CBR and when I was shopping, I was told by the salesman, who was a total tool by the way, that the R6's are pretty light in the front so they have a tendency of lifting up coming out of corners and their handling isn't up to par like the Hondas. I can honestly say I am more than happy with my purchase. I sit on my roommate's gixxer and it doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I always wanted a yellow CBR. But when I was looking at bikes in 03 I did have my heart set on the black r6 with the red ghost flames, that bike was bad ass looking. But when I walked into the showroom and saw the yellow RR sitting there I forgot all about the r6. Plus I loved how clean the undertail exhaust made it look.

Dusty

·
Registered
639 Posts
My blood has always ran Honda red when it came to sportbikes. That said, I bought a new 03 Raptor 660, and that thing spent more time in the shop than I did riding it. I didnt buy the 400EX simply because it didnt have reverse. Sure the extra torque was nice on the 660, but you can't get past Honda's reliability factor.

All the bikes are within .00003 on a roadcourse with a pro on it. I say go to the dealer, and sit on each bike for a few minutes and see how each one fits you. And then compare the looks and your tastes, and that's the right 600 supersport for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The tossup was between the R6 and 600RR... First was the better deal... Second was the fact that I do prefer the looks of the 600RR.. the undertail exhaust does it for me, and is a huge bonus. Then I found the right bike, 05 tribal for a good price!
Shade-

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yamaha have very poor build quality. They shatter when they fall/lowside. Besides that.. Their engines arent as resilient.. which is a big factor in hot weather and high temps (see location). So hondas are big in this part of the world.

Apart from that.. since it was my first bike.. i was looking for something solid, reliable, stable. R6 is way too zippy, and tends to wheelie way too easily.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I was shopping around for an '06 600, the R6 was the very first one to mark off my list. It was simply too uncomfortable, too ugly, too expensive (being all brand new), and with questionable fit and finish. The next to come off was the 636, followed by the GSX600R. That left the 600RR. :beer:

·
Registered
626 Posts
come on lets not talk looks here. The new R6 is serious sh**. It looks amazing. For Honda's sake, they better change the way 600rr looks.. 4 years without a change is just plain stupid. Our bikes have been looking old since 2004. I mean look at the gauges.. it looks like it was made in 1990.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
come on dude there's a big change from the '03-'04 600RR to the '05-'06 600RR, even if the looks is almost very similar to each other it still stomps the '06 R6 in WSS racing, why mess with success? 600RR's are unbeatable in WSS & not even the highly acclaimed, fly by wire tech R6 came close to the podium.

btw the 600RR more closely resembles the RC211V MotoGP bike, does the R6 have anything in common with M1? hardly.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've personally rode the new GSXR600 and R6 (both 2006's). In my opinion the GSXR seems noticeably heavier than both the 600RR and R6. GSXR's are a lot shorter, and louder in stock form. The R6 runs smooth like butter. Shifts are smooth as hell. Blipping on the R6 is the easiest out of the 3 bikes. All 3 bikes handle very, very well. But I can honestly say that my 05 600rr has way more power than those 2 bikes. The R6 has "turbo-lag" like power. The GSXR had power but seems like it's being held back. (If that makes sense)

I know you were wondering about the R6 and the 600RR. But I'd rather expand the comparison a bit.

Plus, the 600rr looks sexier. (In my biased opinion... LOL!)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ITS SEXY!!! Plus it was love at first sight in 03 when i saw the undertail. it took til this year to make my dream come true but i got 1 and bought it with cash as a display of power, and a chance to hold alot of money without jackin a bank..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone that says anything bad about the R6, Gixxer, or RR is just stupid. It all comes down to what fits you best. With me it came down to the Gixxer and RR and the RR simply fit me better. They all look great. If I could, I'de have 1 of each. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
First off:

As someone mentioned, the race replica look caught me. I was initially looking at the R1 (note, both cbr and r1 had undertail exhaust when I was buying). The insurance and price of the R1 blew me away so I went looking for something a little lower priced. The CBR was the only real option at the time, it was priced great, had the backing of Hondas reliability and technologically was superior... state of the art electronic ignition, dual stage fuel injection, etc. The R6 in '03 just couldn't compare.

Now? I'm not sure what I would choose if I wanted to buy one tomorrow... but, the CBR has been a great bike and it still rated super high in the latest MotorCyclist middleweight shootout (June '06)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like a lot of the other folks here, the rr just fit me better. The GSXR was a tank and way too low in the bars and the Yami just didn't feel right all-around. Other than the surf-board seat, the rr is a very comfortable ride and just has a nice, solid feel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my RR cuz the price was right and it was right around the corner from my house. I was looking for a used one since I am new to riding and I didnt want to eat the depreciation of the first couple of years. Anyways I was looking for a R6 but when I found the RR I never thought about the R6 again.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I like the look of the new R6 but when I went and sat on it , It felt like sh1t... It didn't fit me at all....I sat on the new R1 and that bike fit me like a glove but I have no need for a liter bike. I'm A twisty road riding kind of guy so I will stick with my 05 RR for now and see what happens in 07.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I sat on each bike and the Honda was most comfortable for me. I was going w/ either the RR or R6, I took the RR because of Honda's quality....my roomie has an 05 R6 and I'm happy w/ my decision. Just little things are not good as the honda....kickstand, plastic looking parts, forks ext.

Now that I've had a change to ride both the Honda has WAY more mid-range and just as much in the upper RPM. The R6 can get up and move for sure but the Honda has no problem setting you back at 6-7K RPM the yamaha is sloooow in that area.

And while I'm at it....when you push the start button the 600rr it turns a couple times and fires right to idle. The R6 sounds like its struggles to start and then takes a good 5-6 seconds to find its idle, just somthing that would bug me. No fuel guage, Side exhaust are a couple more reasons. The handleing is flickable for sure on the R6 but almost but so much so that it feels unstable with a good amount of lean, maybe somthing that can be cured w/ some suspension tuneing. Our Hondas you just dump it from knee on the ground one direction flip it over to knee on the ground other direction and the thing is solid and stable. Honda knows what they are doing....the RR is getting some flack this year from the magazines because the styleing has not changed 4 years but improvements are made in perfomance and that is what i care about. Not those dumb gixxers and thier intergrated blinkers in the mirrors....how gay.

the Honda 600RR is the best sport bike from 03-05 and I have a feeling once 07 rolls around it will regain its rightful place at the top again.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts