Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1. Do a search, this subject has been beaten into the ground, raised from the dead, and killed again.
2. Go with the manual. I have been running 89 in mine since day one, and it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i usually fill up with fart gas.

but that's after a healthy dose of bbq ribs and a few beers.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Johnny Candles said:
::cough:: It's Guido, cuz. :)

- Italian Candles
Actually his name is Gweedo. Not the typical spelling but I'll let you tell him how to spell his name. How much do you weigh again?

paulywalnuts said:
On the inside of your passager compartment, at least on the 03 it says nothing below 91 octane..
You see what you started?!?!?! It's 91 RON which equals 87 octane.

·
Registered
553 Posts
_Jay_ said:
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
HAHAHAHAHAHA...Damn emo kids....

paulywalnuts said:
On the inside of your passager compartment, at least on the 03 it says nothing below 91 octane..
I'm pretty sure thats some other kind of measurment, not Octane, can't remember what it is right now...

Yeah what he ^^^ said...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use 93, might as well use the best gas. Father used to own a chain of gas stations and 93 always runs smoother, for nice cars that is, don't know bout bikes but why not spoil your baby!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I read through most of the threads I can find on what octane to use and almost all of the threads are worthless. I'm guessing that's why the question gets asked over and over.

There would need to be a semi-serious study done by a few people to find out for sure the different octane levels affects on the 600RR. Not some guys throwing their bikes on random dynos a few times.

Does it have an affect on the performance on the bike? I'm sure it does. What exactly? I have no idea. :)

Does a higher level octane burn cleaner? Yes - yes it does. You can find a ton of info on the EPAs site if you want to know more. Just search for octane.

Was there a change in the Owner's Manual? I keep reading in threads that Honda says 86/87. I have an '06 and the manual says, "Your engine is designed to use any gasoline that has a pump octane number of 86 or higher." It even goes into increasing the octane level if you experiece pinging or knocking. This, to me anyway, reads as 86 as a minimum and doesn't mention starting with 86 and only increasing if you have problems.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
fusion said:
I have an '06 and the manual says, "Your engine is designed to use any gasoline that has a pump octane number of 86 or higher." It even goes into increasing the octane level if you experiece pinging or knocking. This, to me anyway, reads as 86 as a minimum and doesn't mention starting with 86 and only increasing if you have problems.
I swear this topic is like the proverbial vampire/werewolf/zombie all rolled into one. You answered your own question in your post. "The manual says" Do you not think for a minute that Honda (yeah, those people that make engines for a living!) didn't do any research at all on the effects of different octane ratings of gasoline? Or wait, I know, you must think that Honda in all their infinite wisdom didn't think about the fact that maybe, just maybe, their products would ever make it into the hands of us mere mortals? That we, as penny pinching, common motorcycle riders wouldn't say to ourself at the pump "Self: You know, that 87 octane is $.20 per gallon cheaper than premuim, and that adds up to about a dollar when I fill up my tank." "Hell, I could go to McD's or Wendy's and get something off the dollar menu for that." The research has been done, that is why they publish it in the manual. Go to the gas station and pump whatever your silly heart desires into your motorcycle! If it runs like crap, put higher octane in it! Hell, put diesel or Kerosene in it if you think that will help boost up or smooth your powerband. It is your motorcycle, you have the ability to use it as a test bench to your heart's content. Rant over, off the soapbox, NewRed, send Gweedo (Tell him i'll cover his travel expenses)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts