Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

im about to do the first service myself. oil change at 1000km. Now ive heard from a few people that i shouldnt use synthetic oils until the bike and clutch is fully broken in. now is that true? what happends if i use synthetic oils after 1000km's? i just went out today and bought some motul 5100 10w40 synthetic oil. do you guys forsee any problems using that oil with only 1000km's on the bike? should i just get plain honda oil for this oil change and then at 5000km's use the motul?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
i use maxima syn blend - dont know/never heard of anything about not using synthetic oil until bike is fully broken in...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I never put synthetic oil in until after 800-1000 miles. If you do it will take longer for the motor to make max power. Imm not real sure on the exact details of why but this is what my engine builder has told me over and over. He has been building performance motorcycle engines for nearly 30 years so I tend to listen to what he has to say. Not to mention that he is the builder at Schnitz Racing, so that is my input on it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just did my 600 mile service this weekend ($170 through the dealer and not worth it) but before that I changed my oil at 50, 200, and 400 miles all with Pro Honda GN4. I'll probably do another one at 1000 miles with GN4 and then switch to synthetic at 3000 miles. Or maybe just do synthetic at 1000. Haven't made up my mind yet.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have 2200km's right now on the factory oil :( i know it should have been changed much sooner but i havent had the time to change it yet. so with 2200 km's on the bike, is it still too early for synthetic?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Like other things, there seem to be conflicting schools of thought on this. Either way I think you'll be fine speaking from my personal experiences. I'd also suggest just going with the cheap stuff to begin with those, save a few bucks. Plus, when you do switch over to full syn you'll really feel the difference after being use to the regular oil.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well on my gixxer 750 i was running spectro golden full synthetic, now if i went with cheap stuff to begin with on my RR wouldnt i notice the difference? i just want the best for my baby and wouldnt full synthetic be the best?

·
Registered
364 Posts
mr_600RR said:
well i have 2200km's right now on the factory oil :( i know it should have been changed much sooner but i havent had the time to change it yet. so with 2200 km's on the bike, is it still too early for synthetic?
It doesn't matter what you go with. You NEED to change that oil immediately! All of those metal shavings in your oil are absolutely killing your engine right now. These are the kind of thngs Honda uses to void your factory warranty should you ever need it. You shouldn't have let it go past the 600 mile (1000km) factory required service.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mr_600RR said:
well on my gixxer 750 i was running spectro golden full synthetic, now if i went with cheap stuff to begin with on my RR wouldnt i notice the difference? i just want the best for my baby and wouldnt full synthetic be the best?
1300 miles on the oil provided by the dealer isn't even remotely close to being healthy for the engine. If you wanted the best for your baby, you really should have changed it out sooner. Whether it's synthetic or non-synthetic, it doesn't matter as long as you change it now. :beer:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Yep, all that really makes a difference is changing early and changing often. You'll get a little smoother shifting and possibly slightly lower running temps with synthetic but I seriously doubt you'll be able to see some difference in engine life.

roguegeek said:
1300 miles on the oil provided by the dealer isn't even remotely close to being healthy for the engine. If you wanted the best for your baby, you really should have changed it out sooner. Whether it's synthetic or non-synthetic, it doesn't matter as long as you change it now. :beer:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the oil is now changed!! the weird thing thought is i only put 3 liters of oil in it and its all the way at the top line! i tohught i would have needed 3.5 liters!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im planning on only going about 2500km's on thi soil then doing another oil change with either the same oil or using some repsol oils. and then after ill start doing my 4000-5000km's per oil change

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
mineral (dino) based oil good for 2000kms, semi synth 3000kms & 100% synthetic 5000kms & that's all with Repsol oils, it really depends on your preference dude but i use what Honda use for racing, can't go wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts