Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

In your opinion, what percent of TrackDay bikes are STOLEN?

• 5%

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 10+%

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 20+%

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 50+% - All of them!

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In you opinion, what percent of trackday bikes, out on the track, are stolen? I have been in the TD game for about 5 or 6 years now and I have had many friends buy stolen parts or bikes only later to find out about it. Theft Recover Bikes are all out on the track, by the hundreds! LOL Ebay parts, Craigslist Parts, TD Forum Parts, Etc...... Stolen!!!!
I have a close friend who purchased a used bike from a dealership and converted it into a track bike. Later in the year he had the owner and the cops kick in his door...LOL All was sorted out, he was innocent because he purchased it legit from the dealership (who got into big trouble). This has caused a problem for me, in my mind, because every bike I see at the race track, I think ... "STOLEN". LOL

:wink2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I say about 20% are fully stolen bikes. The guys who take it serious build the bikes from the ground up so they are likely not stolen.

I would say the 20% comes from the avg guy who wants to be on the track but can't truly afford it.

Parts on the other hand, a lot may come from missing bikes.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,908 Posts
It's a lot more than people would expect. A lot aren't necessarily stolen but were involved in insurance fraud

·
Registered
903 Posts
Mine HAD been stolen from the previous owner.........a LEO. Needless to say, that pissed him off pretty bad and he used the available resources that he had, working for a police dept and doing a lot of searching himself, to find the guy that stole it from him. They made the arrest, recovered the bike, and the thief went to jail. I bought the bike from him for a very reasonable price (I didn't say I stole if from him) and all is well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine was a crash job that came through our dealership. Bought it from the insurance company with a salvage title. I would still say 50% +

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just having a Bill of Sale isn't necessarily a sign of a stolen bike. Sometimes a bike is bought brand new and the original purchaser received a MSO (Manufacture's Statement of Origin). I he or she decides to get a title from the state in which the bike was purchased, they will usually always pay sales tax on the bike and be required to license it. If the bike owner is never going to ride the bike on the street and it will live as a track or race bike, why pay the sales tax and license fee. So, they convert the bike to track/race and when they sell it, sometimes they have lost or gotten rid of the MSO and just offer a bill of sale. Even if they still have the MSO and pass it along to the second owner, that person may just chuck it in the trash because it's going to continue as a track/race bike. That is how some bikes that are sold as a Bill of Sale only end up with no title. Of course, as mentioned, there are also dishonest folks that buy and sell stolen bikes without titles and that is where the problem comes in.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welp, I'm planning on jacking one pretty soon... Just being picky and aiming for that chosen one. :nerd:

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
I say about 20% are fully stolen bikes.
No way. I know hundreds of people that I have personally done track days with. There is no way in hell that 1 out of 5 are rocking stolen bikes.

If you want to make a claim like that, try having some evidence/proof to back it up.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No way. I know hundreds of people that I have personally done track days with. There is no way in hell that 1 out of 5 are rocking stolen bikes.

If you want to make a claim like that, try having some evidence/proof to back it up.
No no no.. its his opinion you don't have 2 agree.

·
Registered
803 Posts
No no no.. its his opinion you don't have 2 agree.
What's that saying? Opinions are like assholes... Everyone has one.

(Yup, including me!) :laugh:

·
Registered
247 Posts
stolen **** is why I hate buying from ebay etc even tho I usually need to, Id hate to know Im riding with someones stolen parts or they are riding with mine. makes me sad for people

·
Registered
185 Posts

It's hard to give evidence of something like that. What am i going to do? Say call my friend John,Tim and Moe they will tell you that his track bike is stolen?

There is 3 of my friends and i ride with 11 people so boom there is my 20%.

Also of these hundreds of people have you asked to see ownership's? Or proof and history of bike? How can you say for sure? Where is your proof?

Not trying to be a **** but come on.

Maybe, you ride with enough people who have the cash flow to support a track day lifestyle and that's awesome. Not all can afford it and do what they have to.
About 10 years ago when i rode i could easily prove that 50% of the people i rode with had "re-possessed bikes". That number when i got back into riding i know has drastically dropped. That's why i am going with 20%

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of bikes out on track are stolen. Whether or not the owners of said bikes know this or not is another story. I personally only buy bikes that have titles and regardless always run the vin just to be sure the bike isn't stolen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts