Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bet this is pretty frequently asked here, as it is on most of the motocross fourms I post on, but hang with me for a sec. I'm 16 years old, and I've been riding mx a few years, and would consider myself very good at it. I ride a 2004 Honda CR250. I've picked up tons of skills... including some [email protected]$$ stoppies and wheelies...

I am not going to drop mx racing/riding. I will be getting a free truck [2001 chevy 1500 HD] This summer from my aunt who decided to get a new tahoe. This opens up a new option, a sport bike...Gas is insanely high now, and I'd use the bike to get from place to place daily, and maybe find a track every now and then...And as bad as this will probably sound, I just want to be able to smoke anything on the street, easy slow wheelies without sproket changes...etc

That all leads up to my question, do you think it would be reasonable to start out on 1000cc bike? Everyone told me I couldnt learn how to ride in the 250 class for mx, but I pretty much shoved that in their face...but I know riding on the street is a totaly different world. And just to show you I'm not some dumb punk, heres a few recent pics of me on the dirt.

Thats a 150 ft jump, sorry its not from the side, your just gunn have to trust me :) 4th pinned :)

-Zak

·
Registered
428 Posts
16 years old probably only 145 150lbs + 1000cc bike = RIP sorry bro just my opinion dirt bikes and street bikes are two totally different classes, and if you even hit a 600cc bike with the attitude of slow wheelies and smokin anything on the street your a dead man walking Things things are not toys. But what ever your decision will be ride safe and were gear (alot of it) PEACE BROTHER

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Zak
welcome aboard man these pic are kick ass awesome
iam sure when you started riding dirt you did not start on the CR250
right off the bait did u

And even if you did a 1000CC street bike is way
too extreme a 600CC bike is capable enough to get you in trouble
with that being said my 0.02 cents is to start small and as your skills
and confidence level progress so should your bike

post more pic they bring back sweet memories

·
Registered
613 Posts
My humble advice -

Anyone who can ride a motorcycle could climb onto a litre bike and ride it. Problems arise when your ego and inexperience get the better of you.

An MX bike can reach 70mph, a litre sportsbike can reach 200 mph. Any fool can twist the throttle and hang on, but only someone with wisdom will have the discipline to do it at times of minimal risk and not panic when something goes wrong.

Your call, but at 16 years old, having never held a license and carrying the attitude of wanting to 'smoke anyone on the street' then the odds are that you will become a statistic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
nah 185, I wouldnt worry about size...I'm pretty built. I've done alot of reading and I think I know what I'm getting into... also considering lessons, I did with mx, helped a bunch. I know I'm not going to hop onto any streetbike and and 12 it, or fly around the country roads...and I guess my question was answered, I just didnt want to get on a 600 and feel underpowered.

I rode a kx125 for about 4 months, 2 off the track where I was on a flat field learning how to ride... stop and go stuff, and then 2 on the track learning basic skills there. I had a huge get off in october of 04, snaped a few bones and 1 surgery and 2 months later I start riding again on a cr250 :) We took up some MX lessons on the weekend to hone my skills, and got even better every weekend... I learned very fast and got faster and better then most of my friends who had been riding for years when I started.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Cool pics bro. I would highly recommend to stay away from a 1000 for a first street bike. The conditions are very different between the dirt and street, and you could easily get yourself killed. There really is no reason to get a bike that fast. Trust me, the 600's have more than enough to scare the sh!t out of you.

This is not meant as a diss, but you are still VERY young, and need to develop the maturity for riding in traffic, and handling such a powerful beast. Stay safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
madbrown75 said:
Smoke anything on the street huh? I hope your partent have a good life insurance policy on you with that attitude.
I do have very good medical insurance :) They've coverd every surgery since I started racing lol...

Whats wrong with wanting to go faster then anyone else?

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
MXZAK said:
Whats wrong with wanting to go faster then anyone else?
nothing's wrong with it. as long as its in a controlled environment....i.e. race tracks!!

on the streets...that mentallity will get you seriously hurt or worse....killed!

·
Registered
613 Posts
warning, warning - ego on the loose, ego on the loose.

attention, attention - give him some attention, give him some attention.

look at me, look at me!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It looks like you ride dirt pretty good, but I would listen to these guys. Take it easy on the streets, its not as soft as dirt.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sorry dude but those MX pictures don't mean $hit. You need to grow up some more, talking all that BS about wanting to beat everything on the street and go faster than everyone else. Do yourself and your family and everyone that might be on a public road (if you were to have a streetbike)a favor and don't get one. You need to grow TF up. :stickyman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats cool man, glad you know me so well already. thanks for answering my questions and not being a d!ck about it.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
honestly you might be okay with a 1000, and you might kill yourself, but keep in mind, on the track a 600 is so much more fun than a 1000, plus that added fun when you pass a 1000 on your lowly 600, but thats way off.

You will not feel underpowered on a 600 streetbike, and most people that do say their 600 is underpowered ends up dead or hurt badly. You may also want to consider the cost of insurance for a 1000 will kick your ass as will the speeding tickets you will most likely get with that attitude.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
get yourself a 600 and don't be a dumb @ss about it... if you don't like it, they hold there value pretty well, sell it and get a 600... but atleast you'll know what the lighter, better handling of the two feels like. Personally if you drop down to a 15/45 combo or something like that you'll never wanna ride anything else...

And for slow wheelies / stoppies... get a 50.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok maybe this will mean somthing seeing how I just turned 17 and Im probally one of the youngest on this site. Dude I was in your shoes last year DO NOT GET A 1000cc bike. I wouldnt recomend a 600 to you. I started out on a 84 honda shadow 700 last april and a year has gone by and I worked my way up to a 600rr. I got in bad situations with the shadow that thing isnt even that fast and I about killed myself a 100 times. You say you wanna smoke any thing on the street thats gonna get you your license taken away or your life. I use to try to show off infront of my school untill I about crashed. How cool is that to crash infront of your friends? Over the summer I put made miles on the bike. My friend decided that I could take his 2005 r1 to school because he knew I was a safe driver. I worked my ass off at mc donalds and sold my shadow last fall and 2 weeks ago got me a 03 600rr. It was so hard to convince my parents to sign for my bike and allow me to have one. Thats my story now heres my brothers.
He was 19 he saw that I loved to ride my shadow all last year so he thought hey ill go out and get my permit and get me a sport bike. He has been on dirt bikes just like you so he thinks he is gonna be really good. So he buys a brand new 636 and he comes home with it than decides he wants to show his friends his bike. He comes to this corner about a block away from our house and crashes because he got reall nervous. That was 10 miles after buying it. Luckly he had on my jacket helmet and gloves probally saved his live. He broke my helmet and skuffed up my jacket. He couldnt walk right for months and had some road rash on his side. It costed him close to 1000 dollors to replace all the plastics. Now days hes doing better after leaning that lesson but still gets in over his head from time to time.

So bottom line is your not ready and your parents are nuts to buy or sign for a sport bike right away. If I was a sales person I would not let you buy a sport bike. Not even if you walked in with cash. I know your gonna get all mad about this, but hey im trying to save your life like everybody else.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry man, I gotta agree with these guys on here. You have some skills and they're cool pics... but I don't see a bunch of traffic around you and grandma with her turn signal on for 4 blocks in those pictures. Get an older 600.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts