Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 rr

Just doing a bunch of stuff this spring. I replaced the brake lever while the calipers were off, no even thinking about it. Put the left caliper back on no trouble. The right caliper pistons wouldn't go back in, so to get them in and get the caliper back on I had to open the bleed screw and they went in no trouble. Went to ride it and had no front brakes at all, no stopping power and no brake lever feel at all. I assumed I got air in the lines. Next was to bleed them. While bleeding them very little fluid came out, I know normally it should shoot out the lines. No air was in the lines at all and brake lever pressure didn't return when I was done bleeding. I took it around the block and lever feel returned the brakes worked great for about 30 seconds, then they seized! Attempted to bleed again. When i first opened the left caliper bleed screw fluid shot out as it should when being bleed. The 2nd time I opened the bleed screw on the left caliper next to no fluid came out. Next to no fluid from the right caliper at all. After bleeding I was right back to square one with no feel and no brakes. Took it around the block and again it returned again and seized again. Next I decided to attempt to flush all of the old fluid out. Opened all 3 bleed screws filled the reservoir and started pump the brake lever and next to nothing came out from the calipers and not a drop from the master and the reservoir remained full. I tried to bleed again. No brakes and no lever feel and it did not return this time at all. So I've got no front brakes. Rear is fine.

Whats going on here?
A lot of air in the lines?
Clog?
Bad front master?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Try bleeding the master cylinder again. You have to open the bleeder and pump the lever a few times (do not close the bleeder between pumps). Then bleed your lines

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nope. STG has a video on youtube that shows it. When I put a 07+ MC on my bike I thought it would suck air back in as well, but it doesn't. When you do the lines you will have to close the bleeders between pumps though

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
I think your master cylinder pin is installed incorrectly. Since you mentioned you change the lever.

It stuck on the pressed position.

There is a little indentation on the brake lever where the pin needs to go

It can rotate causing the pin to not sit in the slot and basically you have your brake on all the time.

Then when you bled it, it removes all the fluid out and you're basically running a dry brake system hence why there is no brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump
The rod rod fits into the slot just fine. Does the rod look stock? I replaced an aftermarket short lever with the "oem" one. Could the rod be aftermarket specific to the shorty lever. I've never heard of this if so. Before I removed the lever just now I grabbed the lever a few times, and even now with the air in the lines I'm not getting enough lever travel at all.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything because I assumed the bushing just happened to rotate when he took the plunger out, but yeah if the rod is not in that slot your lever pull will be all freaked up

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bingo! Now your brakes will work just fine.

I had the same issue with mine when I went with some eBay levers. Coincidentally I fixed them inadvertently when in the process of taking them off to return them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts