Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a 600RR this month until a guy from work offered me his '02 RC51 for about $7k. The RC has the Power Commander, Ti exhaust and about 7k miles. He is getting rid of it because he never rides it and has a new baby in the house. Is that a good deal? I'm not a new rider, I just took a couple year break because I had to get rid of my F4 due to a baby in the house myself. The bike, either one, will be used for commuting to and from work during the week and canyon carving on the weekends and a couple track days a year. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If your commute involves sitting in traffic at all I'd stay away from the RC51....it'll get hotter than hell. Other than that the bikes are far to different to really compare. I'd say 7K is a bit high for an '02 though. You could get a new one recently local for under 8K OTD.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I rode my buddies RC51 a week or so ago, I felt like I was riding a VIBRATING TANK !!

Did not like at all, we have races before from dead stop, and rolling up to top end and the bike has nothing on the RR.

And on curvy mountain roads the RR pulls through a curve alot harder than the RC. ( LET ME RE-PHRASE THIS, What I meant was it will go through a corner harder/faster than my buddy could take his RC51, of coarse I guess I know nothing about one other than my buddy I ride with all the time owns one, and I own an RR )

Id take my RR over one any day, and the RR is so much more SEXY !!

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
theRTGUY said:
I rode my buddies RC51 a week or so ago, I felt like I was riding a VIBRATING TANK !!

Did not like at all, we have races before from dead stop, and rolling up to top end and the bike has nothing on the RR.

And on curvy mountain roads the RR pulls through a curve alot harder than the RC.

there is no way a 600 is gonna out oull a 1000cc V-twin out of a corner....but none the less I'd opted for a V-twin for street riding and a RR for the track...

I have an Aprilia RSVR as my street ride and RR to race

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
for track id say the rc and street/track the rr.. the rc has more torque which would kill the rr on the track comin out of turns but on the 1/4 mile the rr would stay with it the whole way. street the rr would give u more ability to enjoy a cruise that ends up a race to a place, as the rc just wants to go to the track. looks wise, id say rr cause i got one and i think its the best but its up to u. i got all my info from the dealer who i bought my bike from but this was after i bought my bike so it waas straight info. plus they want me to work there when i get out of the ><#$ so they try and teach me as much as possible. hope that helped..

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the looks of the RR more, I like the insurance of a 600 more but...the torgue of that 1000 would be nice plus I think I could get him down to $6k which would save me about three grand right off the top. I'm really torn. I think I need to stop being a tight @$$ and get what I want, a 600RR.

It would be nice if I could find a decent price for the RR in northern CA and be done with it. Anybody know of a good dealership between Visalia and Redding that will work with me on the price?

·
Registered
906 Posts
My friend who works at a bike shop aroud the corner has one. He says the RC sucks and wants to get rid of it. Another friend who owns an R1 has ridden one says its a tank and slow for a 1000cc. Says it doesn't feel powerful at all!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I don't like riding v twins...I've been riding inline 4's too long and can't get used to staying in low revvs. I rode a friend's RC51 and didn't like it that much. It's got tons of low end grunt, but it just didn't feel right

·
Registered
494 Posts
theRTGUY said:

And on curvy mountain roads the RR pulls through a curve alot harder than the RC.

Yeah, well that VIBRATING TANK doesn't appeal to ALL. It take SPECIAL PEOPLE TO understand and ride the RC51..An it obivious that ain't nothing special here. It seems Honda put a big price tag on the RC51, and people that know what it is, pay the price. Just like fine wine, not for everybody..:)

As far as I can tell, you don't know JACK about the RC51. The RC51 doesn't have to be changed every year ,it has PIZAAAZZZZ.. It seems to some that PIZZAAZZ feels like a vibrator to them Ha ha..

It would have been more sporting to tell the guy that, you don't know JACK about the RC51, but you do know about the 600rr..Instead of coming off with a bunch of misinformation.

Sexyness, give me a break. I just chunked out $8700 smackers for my brand new 06 CBR600rr, and another $4500 in mods. Yeah, the 600rr is going to be my race/track bike, because it is lighter, and more flickable. Now, for a street bike, you couldn't give me an 600rr for the street. On the street, when I was stopped at a light while breaking in the my 600rr, somebody told me nice bike!! You know what I said? I said is not my bike!! I disown the little sucker. But, yeah, the 600 is going to be my race track bike. I picked it over the mighty 06 Yamaha R6, the 06 GSX R600, and Kaw ZX600, all with slipper clutches and stuff. And even if I did pick one of the other 600, it would never, ever fill the shoes of the RC51 for the street. Never!! And as far as being sexy. Never.. But, for race and track.. I am 100% with the CBR600rr. And the reason I can comment, is because I have put 48,000 miles on the RC51 and about 25 trackdays..

You rode the RC51 to the corner store.. Oh, I am falling down laughing on this one.. Vibrator.. Ha

You want to see something sexy, here is sexy..And girls panties get wet when I start it up too. :)

To the poster that was asking about 600rr over the RC51. It boils down to what kind of riding and what you are going to do with it. That's it in nutshell. I got 48,000 miles on the bike about, it has seen 25 trackdays, many, many canyon rides, and it rides like an Italian Sports Car..

One should take not, the the RC51 cost more than a GSX R1000, CBR1000, Hayabusa, and many other super fast, and super light bikes out there. One must wonder why a bike that is heavier, slower, and hasn''t been changed since 2002, cost more than other??

Well, we know one person that doesn't know, so the orginal poster needs to go where he can find the CORRECT info on the RC51..

Go here and asked about the RC51, and you will get some KNOWLEGEABLE ANSWERS.

www.rc51.org

Another one,

www.rc51.com

You won't get any knee-jerk info on the RC51 around there, you will get the straight stuff..:)

I have finished venting, :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wont lie here, I never liked the RC51 in silver and red. But I just saw one in the stealership, the two shades of back, and it looks amazing! Id definently pick it over an RR.

About your dillemma though, just read the last post...

·
Registered
445 Posts
RC51s are dreamy. I just got off an F4i and on to one and i love every second of it.
I've ridden an RR of a friend's for a little bit. It's definitely really flickable, and feels tiny between the legs. It's smooth up through the revs and has good linear power delivery. But, i never really liked having to ride around at 9k+ revs to feel some power.
If i had to go back, i would have probably purchased an RR over the F4i just for its handling and less buzzy engine.
But, now that i have the RC51 i don't think there's anything left to desire. I've got torque all the time, and with -1/+1 gearing it's totally fine riding anywhere.

If i were going to get a track bike, it'd be an inline-4 for sure, but for the street, i will forever lust over the likes of the RC51....Plus it's so damn sexy.
Big ups to cehoward600rr

·
Registered
494 Posts
slvrblckrr said:
RC51s are dreamy. I just got off an F4i and on to one and i love every second of it.
I've ridden an RR of a friend's for a little bit. It's definitely really flickable, and feels tiny between the legs. It's smooth up through the revs and has good linear power delivery. But, i never really liked having to ride around at 9k+ revs to feel some power.
If i had to go back, i would have probably purchased an RR over the F4i just for its handling and less buzzy engine.
But, now that i have the RC51 i don't think there's anything left to desire. I've got torque all the time, and with -1/+1 gearing it's totally fine riding anywhere.

If i were going to get a track bike, it'd be an inline-4 for sure, but for the street, i will forever lust over the likes of the RC51....Plus it's so damn sexy.
Big ups to cehoward600rr
the old man didn't mean to get cranky.. But, when I hear people dissing the RC51, that don't know about it, except a few rides.. That ruffled my feathers.. :) all in fun..

I am going to the track Monday, and Friday. I will be taking the RC51, so I have been kind of careful with it.. I have a GSX R1000 to commute with, but this morning I wanted to ride my RC51 to the gym. Just as I pull out the driveway, and rev it a little bit, the RC51 gives up the pure joy right from the start. The RC51 can be doing 5 mph and it the joy and it can be doing 160 mph coming down the straight at Summit Point main, getting ready to late brake and take turn 1, it gives up the joy. And the sounds, oh my god!!

The ride, oh my god!!

And somebody had to say it a vibrater.. Yeah, just like having the preetiest woman in the world, vibrating underneath you.. that's what the RC51 is about!! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
the rc on track you'll find it's like tossing star jones around in bed vs. the rr like paris hilton. hope your upper body strength is good. Oh to Big Tuna, the rc will out pull the rr after the rr out broke the rc and out cornered it also! The rr is the bike of choice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Having Raced them Both, I would take the RVT (RC51) in a Twins race anyday.
But Alas, the 600rr called me and so I bought one, now I rock that. Never iked it on the street, its to common, and no matter how you cut it, it has NO mid Corner Balls - none. It either is twitchy (overrev) or unstable, the sweet spot is very small..can you hit hard? yes, but your line is stuck (only one fast line per track) as opposed to the Mid Croner power of a twin where you can really hit a turn about 3 ways and still be on a/the fast line.

Its just to bad that you can't go big boy racing on a twin anymore...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts