Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here where i live, I was the first to buy a sport bike sadly enough it was a honda 599. All of my buddies whith whom i ride waited till end of season and have new 600rr's. Needless to say they see alot of me in their mirrors on straights, they are still scared way scared so i still own them in the turns. This will all change in due time. There are also a coupla pricks that ride around town on an R1 and an R6, they pop wheelies in town and doo stupid stuff that will eventually get us in trouble, (they are REALLY REALLY cocky). Our riding territory isn't very curvy, and i'm not so much worried about top end, but i want a bike that people aren't gonna like it when i'm behind them, i'm leaning towards a v-twin like the rc-51 or the superhawk, but i would not turn down an i4 what would be the bike to own in the mid's and low's? ? ?
600RR ? 1000RR ? RC-51 ? or VTR1000 Superhawk ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The RC51 suprisingly doesnt have a whole lot of bottom end (as compared to other v-twins ie: the Tl1000r) im not sure about the superhawk having never rode one. Given the choice between the Liter bike, and rc51 and a super hawk, i think i would go for the liter bike. Lots of bottom end and plenty (to be way modest) of top end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What do you want?
What do you need?
Alot of city riding? Superhawk
Alot of traveling to new riding areas? Superhawk
Local curvy stuff, alot of it? F4 or F4i
Local curvy stuff, alot of it and you don't mind giving up creature comforts for the best looking and engineered 600cc (liter bikes are wayyyy too much for the street)? RR<---- :twisted:

I rode a VTR Superhawk before the RR. MORE than enough of power, real torque comes from its motor, probably the best twin other than that of the RC51. RC51 might be too much of a step up from the 599. The Superhawk is really comfortable but turns nicely. Brakes are O.K. and for the exhaust, hog out the endcaps, costs nothing and sounds better than a Duc.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd stay away from any of the 1000's until you have alot more riding experience than you do currently. The 600RR is a logical step from the 599 if you're looking for a more powerful sportbike. Do not be fooled into think the 599 is a slow pig though. That is a capable machine in the right hands and there is something to be said for the naked look. The F4/F4i can offer a more practical and cost effective option to the RR. They are just as quick and with the new seats, far more comfortable. Good luck in your search. Ride and smile.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you are going for pure low and mid range grunt, gotta say the gixxer 1k, but I would stick with the honda 600RR, it is plenty for the street.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 600rr being my original choice no one wanted to sell me one right when i was buying, soo now they are tryina sell them soo everyone i know is goin out and buying one and i jus if my 599 would keep up with them i would be more than happy with it b/c i love the naked look, the reason i'm leaning from the 600rr is b/c i do'nt want to be like everyone else, i mean we've got ever color covered twice, i dont' like being one of the crowd. Anyone know anything about the 919 and how they are b/c if it would keep up it might be a logical step up from mine, keeping the the different look yet delivering quite a bit more power?? but i'm starting to lean on the superhawk, jus hope 05's don't have those gold rims.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
BenReilly, if you do not like being like the crowd, then keep what you have. Learn to ride it better and save your money.

What are you going to gain by getting a different bike? Do you need to go faster? You are not racing so I don't see the delima. I have an RC51 and half of the time I go riding with my buddies, I show up with a Bandit 600. Why? Because I can ride the living hell out of it and have a good time. I do not need to be the lead bike and noone is pulling away from me. (If they were, then i would not ride with them anyway -- No need to do constantly 100+ on public roads)

As for getting another 600... Who cares waht your buddies ride. Buy what you want, not just opposite of what everyone else has.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a really good point , thanx for all the opinions guys i'm still not sure what i'm gonna do i guess i'll jus wait till the spring and see how things pan out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Better yet:

Aprilia Falco - Italian V-Twin sportbike 1000 cc

You need 1000cc for a V-Twin

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you want a twin go for the Aprilia Tuono IMO. I had a RC and loved it but it ran hot as hell and was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. The Tuono will jerk your arms off down low and is very and comfortable. It will als hang with anything on the street.

I love the RR but if I could only have one bike it would be the Tuono hands down. My 2 cents. Mike

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not to act like a nagging parent, but seems to me your ego is going to get you killed/injured.

Your one-up-manship will get the best of you as your buddies will egg you on and you try to out do them with a bigger/faster bike and harder/faster turns. I don't know you personally, and you're probably a lot older and mature than you "sound" on the boards. I'm not trying to tell you what you already know, and we don't need to reassure you on your decision if you already had made it, but it's good that your open to input.

This is what I would do if I was in your situation. I would keep riding the 599, decide if you want to keep it when the '05 comes out, then decide if you really need all that power that liter bikes will give.

As for fun factor, you can push your 599 around town a lot harder without going insanely fast and less hassles from cops. If you're concerned about respect, lookup streetfighters or cafe racers on the internet.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Gotta agree with hondaf4iguy and booRR, especially if you like being different. :thumbup: I'd love to have a 599. I love naked bikes. I sold my last bike, a naked SV650, to a friend so I could get the 600RR for track use -- but if he plans on selling it, you can bet that I will be first in line to buy it back for street use.

Heck, I even briefly considered coming up with some sort way to make a naked 600RR streetfighter! (I abandoned the idea -- the bike's design doesn't lend itself well to this type of conversion.)

Oh, one of the main differences between the 599 and the 919 (besides the engine displacement) is that the latter has cartridge forks, as opposed to your damper rod forks.

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea it's not so much the ego i mean yes it is partly, but and a big but, i like bieng different and the 599 does that. I also get a kick out of hookin stuff up and i can't find really anything engine or body wise for my 599 i'm hopin that this is b/c it's new for the 04' season and that soon enough there will be more in the aftermarket for it but it doesn't look to promising, i can't even find descent exhaust, but like i said i'm jus going to have to wait till next spring and see if anything catches my eye, a bigproblem i have with my bike is the lack of at least a small windscreen, i'de lik esomthing to block the cold wind at night and what not but there are hardly not descent looking aftermarket products for it. Alot of people also are under the impression that my 599 is like an 85' sportbike and that kinda pisses me off, but other than that it's great.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
BenReilly, who cares what other people think? Someone else was all upset because an old lady asked if his RR is a new silverwing.

Trust me, those that know about bikes will respect your bike for what it is. A naked standard. My bandit is all stock and it is four years old. I spend my money on other toys (like the RC). It is a great bike stock. Anything after market is icing, the bike is great on its own.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess my search wasn't as thorough as i'de thought thanx for the input guys and thanx for the pics quassi . . . i'm gonna check in on those exhausts. anyways all the input is greatly appreciated and i just may keep my 599 for a little while longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts