Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friend is looking to get back on the road and buy a used GSX-R 1000. I know he shouldn't by a Suzuki, but he only preach by them.

I only had the experience to buy new Honda bikes so I don't know what he should check on a used bike before buying it.

Does anyone as tips.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ive bought a ton of used bikes before and this is my standard check list:

- inspect tire tread
- get on your hands and knees to see how much life is left on the front and rear pads and also on the rotors
- roll the bike forward slowly and hit the front brake to see if you can hear/feel slack in the neck or stem bearings
- i like to lean the biek over on the kick stand, lifting the rear wheel in the air to shake the swing arm around to see if you can get any play.
- pop the radiator cap to look for any unusual corrosion in the coolant
- take crank case dip stick out and get sum of the oil on your fingers, then rub your fingers together to see if you feel any particles in there. I also check the dip stick or cap for any sign on fried/frying head gasket (white color on stick or cap and a distinct smell)
- Then I fire the motor up and watch the tail pipe for any smoke (blue = burnin oil = no bueno) upon start up
- listen closely for any ticks or funky sounds coming from the motor.
- Then i test ride it ( i personally, would never buy a bike without test riding it and I tell the guy that if he has a problem) and go through the entire RPM range to feel for any flat spots or hesitation. Also i shift into each gear and jerk the throttle around to see if the tranny will pop outta gear on its own. Then i check the compression on the motor by lettin it slow all the way down from high RPM in 1st or 2nd gear (also, look behind you for any signs of smoke becuz this is a good way to force oil around the rings or seals if they are bad).

After everything checks out I make sure to point out ALL of the defects of the bike (not matter if its a big deal to you or not) to the seller and mention how much its gonna cost you to fix (always round up haha). This is a good way to get the guy down on the price. This is just MY technique I always use when buyin a bike and I have yet to buy a lemon or get anything other than a great deal! good luck!

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
2,160 Posts
+1 couldnt have put it better myself

APEX_600RR said:

- inspect tire tread
- get on your hands and knees to see how much life is left on the front and rear pads and also on the rotors
- roll the bike forward slowly and hit the front brake to see if you can hear/feel slack in the neck or stem bearings
- i like to lean the biek over on the kick stand, lifting the rear wheel in the air to shake the swing arm around to see if you can get any play.
- take crank case dip stick out and get sum of the oil on your fingers, then rub your fingers together to see if you feel any particles in there. I also check the dip stick or cap for any sign on fried/frying head gasket (white color on stick or cap and a distinct smell)
- Then I fire the motor up and watch the tail pipe for any smoke (blue = burnin oil = no bueno) upon start up
- Then i test ride it ( i personally, would never buy a bike without test riding it and I tell the guy that if he has a problem) and go through the entire RPM range to feel for any flat spots or hesitation. Also i shift into each gear and jerk the throttle around to see if the tranny will pop outta gear on its own. Then i check the compression on the motor by lettin it slow all the way down from high RPM in 1st or 2nd gear (also, look behind you for any signs of smoke becuz this is a good way to force oil around the rings or seals if they are bad).

After everything checks out I make sure to point out ALL of the defects of the bike (not matter if its a big deal to you or not) to the seller and mention how much its gonna cost you to fix (always round up haha). This is a good way to get the guy down on the price. This is just MY technique I always use when buyin a bike and I have yet to buy a lemon or get anything other than a great deal! good luck!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
APEX_600RR said:

- inspect tire tread

on my next bike your going with me

·
Registered
870 Posts
APEX_600RR said:

- inspect tire tread

Do not let people like this intemidate you when trying to sell a bike. I am sure you are a great guy. Then again there are ten guys out there who are not as knowledgeable about bikes that will buy your bike at your offer price with out any of this haggling.

Next time I buy a bike, I am going to do the same thing. I might get down on my hands and knees and lick the tire and then scowl. Then I would tell them there is excessive tire rot. I could even take some the oil out and rub it against my teeth to check for contaminates. Do all kind of crazy stuff and then tell them their bike is fucked and I will only give them 3/4 what they asked.

Peace

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
919 said:
Do not let people like this intemidate you when trying to sell a bike. I am sure you are a great guy. Then again there are ten guys out there who are not as knowledgeable about bikes that will buy your bike at your offer price with out any of this haggling.

Next time I buy a bike, I am going to do the same thing. I might get down on my hands and knees and lick the tire and then scowl. Then I would tell them there is excessive tire rot. I could even take some the oil out and rub it against my teeth to check for contaminates. Do all kind of crazy stuff and then tell them their bike is fucked and I will only give them 3/4 what they asked.

Peace
I am not givin him advice on how to sell a bike, he was askin what he should do when BUYING a bike. When sellin a bike you gotta be aggressive and watch out for sh!t like that but thats a whole different story. I also believe that my approach is much more ethical that yours, at least im honest with the guy and am not pull sh!t outta my ass ...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sounds werid but look for stickers that are not factory, i got my bike for 5500 with 430 miles on it it was mint except a very small crack in the front cowl. Well i decided to take the AMA racing stickers of the side faring long and behold there were 2 scratchs under the right side sticker, kinda afriad to take the left side of maybe a bullet hole or something...hummmm

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
+1 on looking for non factory stickers, Id asume if you pressed hard enough on non factory stickers you could feel a scratch below it if there was one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts